Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanne_thompson

How do we warm up this dining room?

Deanne Thompson
4 years ago

Please help us warm up our dining room. Do we add a rug? Curtains? A table runner? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Floors are travertine, walls are Edgecomb Gray, chairs are covered in gray fabric.

Comments (74)

• Deanne Thompson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Tessa Rose Design - I took the style quiz, and my style is "Metro", or "New Traditional", formerly known as Transitional.

• Karenmo
    4 years ago

It cracks me up when style names change!

But back you YOUR house, you have some things you can do at NO $$ COST that could have alot of impact, which is great: slim down to 6 chairs and swap the china cabinet with the large framed artwork now hanging on the long wall. You could do that and then send a photo for more ideas from the group! Incremental changes can be good.

If you feel that the glass surface on the cabinet doors is detracting from the warm element you seek, AND you aren't wedded to using the cabinet to display contents (like your gorgeous crystal stemware), keep in mind that you can cover over or replace the glass. Some glass panels are held inside a door frame with clips on the inside so they are easy to remove, and if yours is this type, you could replace it with a slim wood veneer panel; I'd probably go with a highly figured woodgrain, stained to coordinate with the rest of the piece, maybe a bit warmer/lighter. If the glass is not easily removed, you could apply a thin covering to the front, perhaps some kind textile or other woven material in an appropriate color.

As suggested earlier, a tall plant in the corner by the French Door would be a nice addition. I'd probably do that before any window treatments -- less hassle, less cost, and if you are happy, then you stop there! Of course you could always go back in the next round to add shades or draperies or such. (The incremental approach again!)

The unadorned window & French door with the pleasing views contribute to the handsome effect of the room, and it would be great to keep that.

Deanne Thompson thanked Karenmo
  • doods
    4 years ago

I like Celerygirl's renditions, they really warm up the room.

Deanne Thompson thanked doods
  • Deanne Thompson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

RL Relocation LLC - where did you find those gorgeous chandeliers? I particularly like the first one, in the photo on the far left.

• Deanne Thompson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Karenmo - great idea. I'm going to move things around, and then post an update. Thank you for all of the really constructive feedback!

• Deanne Thompson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

celerygirl - thank you for the helpful renderings. I love the way those soft draperies look!

• lizziesma
    4 years ago

I hope you don’t move your display cabinet to painting site. IMO it will make that wall overloaded and you’ll lose the airiness of the dining room. Look again at pic 1, then pic 2. The addition of color via the painting is pleasing to my eye. I’d add some of that blue either with simple window and/or a rug. You have been given lovely examples.

Deanne Thompson thanked lizziesma
  • Deanne Thompson
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

RL Relocation LLC No - this one

• Deanne Thompson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much!

• Deanne Thompson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Looks better already with a plant and table runner. New light fixture and centerpiece are next.

• Karenmo
    4 years ago

Plants work wonders!

And now that the 7th and 8th chairs are out of the way, we can see the base of the table a little. The ends of the table base look sort of interesting sculpturally, so I am thinking since there are just now three of you, why not remove the two chairs at the ends of the table and let the end of the base show a little more, revealing its character to add interest to the space!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

love your plant, and less is more on the chairs! keep going!

• Deanne Thompson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Progress! New chandelier and rug. Searching for the perfect centerpiece.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

That looks wonderful! So much more inviting! The rug looks the perfect size, too.

Deanne Thompson thanked Olychick
  • Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

definitely more inviting... not sure what you were thinking for a centerpiece, but it feels like something simple would be good since your chandelier has more detail... can never go wrong with plants and natural elements, IMO

Luxury Country Style Family Home · More Info

Herb River Drive · More Info

Deanne Thompson thanked Theresa Janssen
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

what if you did succulents since the light is low

Deanne Thompson thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

Wow! way to make change happen. loving it! The chandelier <3

Deanne Thompson thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

im starting to wonder if that window could use some soft linens?

• Deanne Thompson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I know, window treatments are still a possibility. My husband hates succulents, but we both want some kind of plant or faux flower. Any other suggestions for a centerpiece? Can I do a simple hydrangea arrangement?

• Momof5x
    4 years ago

I would add ceiling to floor curtains, a rug, table runner with candles at either side of flowers and I think a slim console table behind the sofa will look great.

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

I think a hydrangea arrangement would be great, but I think I would suggest it to be low. a couple other ideas. a glass vase with a couple palm fronds or perhaps several small glass vases with a few stems in each... a couple pics of what I mean.

Highfield Road Living Room · More Info

Michigan farmhouse · More Info

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

I love the split leaf philodendron, 1st pic above, but wonder if it would be too tall w/that light? you could try it.

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

yes, totally agree they would have to be low. not sure how they got them angled like that, I'm thinking the weight of them in the type of vase made them naturally spill over like that.

• Karenmo
    4 years ago

Great progress!!!

I am envisioning a rectangular ceramic planter finished with a blue glaze that has color gradations, similar to the glaze on the pots at this link or photos below (but rectangular). This would wrap in the many shades of blue circulating with the rug & the artwork in your space AND introduce a subtle abstract pattern with the glaze variations:

http://vietnamwickerfurniture.net/product/tall-blue-square-ceramic-flower-pot-1273.htm

Succulents can be hard to keep if there isn't enough light, so just as well if your family isn't crazy about them even tho they are very popular now. A smaller leaf philodendron would be a a low-profile and easy care plant to get going right away, and then you could add in some other plants for variety as time goes by.

I like the chandelier that someone posted earlier because of the the gold/brass plate on the ceiling -- it seems like that would really help warm things up, picking up the gold tones of the frame around the artwork on the wall nearby.

I would not do any Faux plants.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

when I posted the succulents, I meant faux. I have a few that look very real.

And Karenmo, i love that pot/dish!! I need to transplant a bonsai and hopefully this one works. thanks

• Karenmo
    4 years ago

The trouble is that when people are so up close and personal with a plant, as the centerpiece at a table where they sit and eat, then the faux thing has the scrutiny that it isn't really intended to withstand.....

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

following

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

karen, there are very good faux plants that will past even the most snobbish scrutiny. Evidently you've never seen any that look like they're real. they really look good. And let's be real, who's sitting down at that table to eat?

i was thinking of something like this

But, if that doesn't work, then something live takes care, flowers or plant leaves in water need care every 2 days. something larger usually will be removed when eating.

is this table used everyday by a large family? entertaining? or mainly for looks?

• Deanne Thompson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The table is typically used a few times a week by family. When I set the table for guests I would remove the centerpiece altogether. So the arrangement is there primarily for looks, but not for close inspection by guests.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

what about mini orchids?

• Dawn Martinez
    4 years ago

Gorgeous progress, love the chandelier and the rug! Can't wait to see what happens next!

• Deanne Thompson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was thinking something like this. Thoughts?

• Dawn Martinez
    4 years ago

I like the top one, color wise, but the shape of the middle one. Sheesh, does that help ;-)

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

all your options are great IMO. the clear cases seem on the smaller size so I would suggest 3

• Karenmo
    4 years ago

The bonsai pot in my earlier photo is an inexpensive thing from Lowes.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

A long rectangle box with plants would be better than a small circle. IMO the light fixture is now the star of the room by I think so something long and low..

• Karenmo
    4 years ago

The blue hydrangea bouquet in the clear glass jar is just so darling, that I want it in my house, and I don't care which room!

Maybe you could put three of them in a line on the table for the long/linear effect.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

A rug 4’ wider and 4’ longer than the table top measurement, draperies (or at least drapery panels) to frame the windows and sliders, plus art on the walls. If you use only framing panels, not drapes which close, you may need sheers or shades to control light and privacy. I like to start with patterned drapery fabric which will suggest a color palette for the room.

• Aaron Reyes
    4 years ago

Wow, such a wonderful looking dining you have designed I am so happy with your best art which is so attractive to the eye. Well, I think you have centralized AC over the house. So if you will get this room duct-free then you should maintain this properly as I have recently done maintenance of my factory by "FIFTY REASONS" & now my factory atmosphere is clean with fresh air.

• Deanne Thompson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What about this one? Dimensions are 11'' H x 18'' W x 16'' D

• Dawn Martinez
    4 years ago

I like the clear glass one with the hydrangea and roses....something like this?

• Deanne Thompson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I like that one too

• Dawn Martinez
    4 years ago

@Deanne Thompson I have no idea of the size, but the color is perfect and I like the clear vase, it doesn't fight any of the other design elements. Btw the rug and chandelier are perfect additions!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

I know this is minor but just a thought, maybe have the darker part of the rug toward the door, might draw your eye back a bit more and show off the contrast to the table legs on the visible side better. also, foot traffic from outside then steps on the dark part of the rug............

• Deanne Thompson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

You read my mind! We already turned the rug :)

• Micheal Marshall
    4 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/products/round-mirror-centerpiece-plates-10-prvw-vr~44815713

https://www.houzz.com/products/round-mirror-centerpiece-plates-6-prvw-vr~44815716

You must need curtains to cover your windows which will give a excellent look... Try curtains matching to your wall paint.