FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

nulesm

Jan please stay warm

nulesm

Hello Jan so how cold is it in tropical Vancouver ? I was just reading your forecast brrrrrr . Jan you might need to have a second heater going in your greenhouse tonight -10 C possible WOW !!! How much are you enjoying your time off not bored Yet ? Hope that your not spending your time baking lol ? We had a mess of sleet on the weekend , the darn stuff is frozen on the roof of the greenhouse. I was only able to take a little of it off so its pretty dark in there right now . We are supposed to get a small thaw Wednesday so hopefully it will just slide off . Have you been spending a lot of time in your beautiful tropical greenhouse? Pics always welcome . Jan my friend just curious how your making out with the cold , make sure Cookie stays warm !!!!!!

Brian

• nulesm

Jan forgot I tried a Sugar Belle it was so good. It was very sweet with a small amount of tartness. I was able to taste a bit of Dancy in it. It was very nice , the taste reminded of Christmas.

Juicy and it did have small seeds.

Variegated Minneola rapidly changing color.

Brian

• Laura LaRosa (7b)

Stay warm Jan!! Brian that sugar belle looks delicious! Glad you enjoyed it. The variegated tangelo look very cool. Let us know how they taste when you try them please!

nulesm thanked Laura LaRosa (7b)

Are gray cabinets here to stay?

Grays are on the way out. If you have some new model homes you can tour, go see what they are doing. Around here, there is a combo of wood and painted cabinets coming into the new looks. Might want to do a base of a wood and paint the uppers? Or some combo that strikes your heart! Do what you like. It is more about the "layout" of the kitchen and the age of appliances in my experience when it comes to kitchens. Whatever you do, 5 years is a long time to look and work in a kitchen you don't like. In 5 years whatever you do will be out anyway. lol

Golden Oak Cabinets Are Unfortunately Staying But What Granite Color?

I think JH Marie's suggestions and look would look great in your home. I think your gloors are beautiful. Is that real slate? If so it would be a sin to break it up, love slate. I am in a similar situation. I'm looking at white/creamy quartzes with subtle patterns that read White and Plain at first glance. I'm looking at Lusso, Soprano, White Pearl, etc. Agree just a short backsplash, maybe also light paint everywhere.

Seeking advice on warm white kitchen total update- Opinions Please!

Regarding changing out light bulbs . . . start with a 3000K and with a Color Rendering Index of 90 (it's on a scale from 0 to 100) or better. This will be very similar to the light given off by halogen bulbs. Then if you still want to go more cool, bluish move the temperature up to 3500K, again with a CRI of 90 or better. Ignore the manufacturer's labels of soft white, warm white, daylight etc. There's no standardization of terms between or even within manufacturers. Look on the box for the actual color temperature and CRI. It's all a matter of personal preference, but to me, and NOT to be insulting, the kitchen pics showing daylight bulbs posted above by Jamie Ludwig, has taken on the ambiance of a commercial office. I see a light quality on par with what you'd get from florescent light fixtures with 4' bulbs. The happy medium between the light over her stove and the rest of the room is with a temperature around 3000K. Again, that's what looks best to me, mileage for others varies.

Help warming up family room: Seating and brick paint color advice?

Thanks again for all the feedback and ideas. I think the room may look larger in the photos than it actually is? For example, there is no room to put two chairs facing the fireplace, since the couch goes within a couple feet of the hearth on the one side. And the couch goes just about completely across the room when I turn it to face the fireplace. We used to have an old craigslist couch on the opposite wall, and the tv on a repurposed dresser where the couch is now. We chose to switch things bc we have a beautiful view of our backyard through those windows, and didn’t want our backs to it. And yes, that baseboard heat is used more than half the year. :) I’d like to move the tv lower, but can’t quite figure out how to make it work in that left side corner. I can’t put a corner table flush with the walls because of the raised hearth. . . The mantel is going to have to stay as is for the time being. I’d paint it white—maybe leaving the very top piece stained—but my husband likes the dark stain, and I no longer hate it now that the room is so much lighter with the brick. I think more plants and some baskets will soften it up, too. It also looks nice with our red oak flooring in the adjacent rooms. A nice surprise. :) If someone has a simple idea for moving the tv into that corner, let me know. I’m open to suggestions! Otherwise, it will stay up above the fireplace for the forseable future.
  • nulesm

Hello Laura the Sugar Belle tasted like a sweeter minneola with an after taste of Dancy I was very very impressed . Going to try another in a couple of weeks I will let you know if the taste changes . Actually Laura I had my first Variegated Minneola a week ago and I found it tasted very different then a regular Minneola . I found the variegated had more of a floral taste it was very good . I will let you know in a week after I try another if it taste different. I love the look of the Variegated fruit very cool I just wish that my camera would pick up the stripes better .

Brian

• Bob

Jan, think spring! Not long to go. Think a plate of persimmons. Have a seat!!

while you are munching, do some planning, think of all the places to visit, like Arkansas, Maryland and a couple others, list go on and on.

nulesm thanked Bob
  • Jan

Hi brian my dear friend!!! Thank you so much for sending warm wishes and thinking of us here in the frozen west lol it has been way too cold I’m not used to it lol I know how you guys feel now!! I thank my lucky stars that I’m on break and i don’t have to go out at all in that snow storm! My family and cookie have been cuddling next to a warm fire and some cocoa :) we went out and attempted to make a go at a walk yesterday and we lasted about five minutes before freezing our hands off and cookie was covered in snow lol Brian I am so looking forward to retirement I have been having a blast even picking knitting back up and even starting on some tomato and pepper seedlings for the spring! Brian I haven’t touched a spatula in a week and it feels awesome Lol Thank god for takeout and delivery lol the only thing I’ve done is get a second heater out there in that glass greenhouse it’s been staying around 42 degrees and ive covered All my Citrus pots in doubled garbage bags and put a couple of the bulbs off a string lights in each garbage bag so far the soil is staying at 50 degrees so I guess they help more than I thought! I’ve been spending so much time there brian it’s ridiculous lol I should ask about getting my mail delivered back there! Oh brian I just hate sleet they’re so heavy when they turn to sleet that our old deck cover imploded On us last year! Brian please be careful those are dangerous! Brian Does yiur greenhouse get a lot of sunshine now that the sun is starting to get up higher in the sky? Must think warm thoughts!

Before the snow storm it was so warm that our roses were blooming! crazy how fast the weather changed!

nulesm thanked Jan
  • Jan

Brian wow wow WOW!!!! Look at all that juice and the thin skin my mouth is watering Brian! mine are tiny so far and they’re so cold in that greenhouse no sunshine since October in that greenhouse so the sugarbelles are just as tart as they are sweet but I still love it! definitely a keeper :) that variegated minneola is sooooo beautiful brian!!! it almost looks like it belongs in a dr Seuss book!!! I can’t wait to see you try the variegated minneola :) please let us know if it’s the same taste wise as a regular minneola! I just can’t get over how beautiful they are brian the orange stripes just breath taking!! I bet you can’t leave that greenhouse with all those beautiful summery orange globes :) I’ll brave the weather and take pictures of the greenhouse soon Brian :)

nulesm thanked Jan
  • Jan

Laura thank you!!! How are your citrus Laura? It’s amazing you manage to keep them all indoors and thriving last time I tried they all up and died on me If it’s not the bugs it’s the dry air and no sun!

oh my goodness bob!! If I get even a tenth of your harvest I’ll be happy! thinking warm thoughts bob and I can’t wait for my very first persimmon! Between you Amy and brian I’m wanting so many trees other than citrus I think my first tree this spring will be a jaboticaba tree then some persimmons and perhaps a litchi tree just like Brian’s!

nulesm thanked Jan
  • Bob

You go Girl!

nulesm thanked Bob
  • Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A

When I saw the title of this thread, I was thinking 'January', please stay warm! Last weekend I was in shorts and T-shirt painting the house! Sure wish this mild weather would last the winter.

nulesm thanked Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
  • nulesm

Hello Jan so nice to hear that your enjoying your time off fantastic. Isn't it nice not having to get up early and scrape off the car then deal with snow covered roads trying to get to work bumper to bumper traffic. Jan sure sounds like your ready for retirement with your days planned out with all those hobbies. It so nice getting up in the mornings and doing what you want not what you have to do . Just to be out in the great outdoors soaking up the sunshine watching the birds and the wild life while your playing around with your trees and vegetable garden so nice . I'm so amazed with you Amy and Bob already planning your 2020 gardens I really need to get motivated and stop being so darn lazy lol. It's hard to get motivated with all the ice and snow on the ground and with more than a foot of snow coming later this week lovely . Jan my friend you are going to need a second greenhouse with all those trees your planning on getting lol . I must admit though nice varieties just remember some of those varieties are going to grow into huge monsters. I've been doing so good lol I do visit the Phoenix site wanting so much to buy a Valentine but that darn common sense thing kicks in and asks me where am I going to put it ---hate the common sense thing . Jan you will have to knit Cookie some boots and a sweater for these cold days that your now experiencing. When we take Sugar for his walk we put socks then his boots on then a nice heavy winter jacket we freeze out way before he does . Boots are so important I heard that the roadway salt they use is not to good for the pups. Speaking of the cold it's been very cool at night in the GH averaging 38F --42F and in the daytime rising to the low to mid 50's during cloudy days and maybe 60 on sunny days . Jan the trees don't seem to mind it at all and it's keeping the bugs at bay . I thought the low soil temperatures would harm the citrus but so far so good they all look green and healthy. For many years I was keeping the GH temperature at night in the low to mid 50's I'm beginning to think that it was a big waste of hydro I guess time will tell . Jan how many hours of sunshine does your GH receive during the day ? Lol mine zero it's been cloudy almost everyday in the past two weeks . I wish we had a few clear days for the trees I'm sure they would love that . Jan it seems that all my trees this year are producing some great very sweet tasting fruit could it be the low night time temperatures? Very nice pic of your rose we in the east are soooooo jealous lol . Nice to hear that your staying out of the kitchen lol that's the way to do it . Have a great day my friend!

Brian

• John 9a

I was with Dave, thinking you were hoping for a warm January. We have a south breeze all week and temps from 60F at night up to low 70s in daytime. Crazy warm even for southeast Texas. My in-ground calamondin is confused and has lots of blooms about to open and there is a volunteer 18" tall avocado plant growing under my kumquat tree that still hasn't been killed by the frosts we have had to date. Jan, I don't think I could handle the cold in Canada and hope some of this Gulf Coast breeze makes it up to your area! In the meanwhile, I think we are cheating winter out of a week or so of cold weather and that just suits me fine.

nulesm thanked John 9a
  • Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

Brian, how sweet of you to be thinking of others, that is your true nature and always has been. I wa sout in shorts Saturday and Sunday and it was in the mid 70's!! All my trees went outside to get sprayed and teh room cleaned. It feels so good to be able to do that in the middle of winter. Hgs buddy

Jan,

that jet stream can play havoc all over the world, and it's cretainly is not to dissapoint you in your area. Just crazy stuff going on. I love your ideas and how you are keeping up with yours and Brian's.!I learn do mch from you. Funny this winter so far I have only had to use one heater when I usuallt have to have three running this time of the year. I am thinking thta is yet to come by next weekened. I am finally seeing true January cold coming for Brian and I. I hate it but as you said the sun is higher thank God and there will only be a few more wee of this cold coming. I wonder if all the detruction of the rain forest and outback has any affect on what weather we get? Hugs to you too my friend.

I actually went to the beach on Saturday which was packed and for a hike which was packed. Crazy. Then I got the stomach virus Sunday night and was sick into Monday right before having to attend a funeral for a dear friend. Tough week.

Mike

nulesm thanked Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
  • Laura LaRosa (7b)

Jan, since I’ve developed a rose obsession I have to ask the name of that beautiful rose. Wow! Gorgeous! Stay warm everyone!

• Jan

Hi Laura!! Lol I know I’ve developed one too thanks to this forum!! there was a post about roses a while back with mike and there were too many beautiful ones to count! this rose is called the eden rose but this spring we plan to call our rose garden centre for the “pretty in pink eden” which promises to be even more beautiful! I think this rose is the most beautiful one I own disease resistant and very very vigorous Growing it’s a climber and I was told I can put it in a large pot to trellis up my front door Arc! the only think I wished was that it had more of a scent it’s more of a looker than anything.

john and Dave lucky you!! The snow is fun for a while and beautiful when it falls then it just turns into a road hazard and a hassle.

nulesm thanked Jan
  • Jan

Brian! just when I thought the snowing would be melted off by this Morning This is what I awoke to lol it’s not as thick as you guys have it over there in the east I’m sure but a lot of schools have closed lol I guess Vancouver doesn’t know how to handle the snow If we see even the tiniest bit we close everything!! Oh brian I can’t tell you how good it feels to be staying in if you can believe it i havent taken any vacation days for 3 years working 6 days a week all through out and sometimes during the holidays every single day! It’s been fun just enjoying our hobbies and dialing for food lol brian I bet you’re having a blast in your retirement can’t wait to join you friend :) I imagine you making sangrias and pina coladas in that beautiful backyard of yours next to the pool! Brian I think you have your hands full with those giant citrus they’re so gorgeous I still can’t get over them sometimes! what do you usually plant for the summer brian do you do tomatoes too or greens Or peppers perhaps? You see it’s tough since half of our backyard is cement so I’m thinking of getting a large raised garden on top of the cement to convert it into a huge maze of a vegetable garden instead of the basketball court It is now lol

Brian I wonder how Amy’s aerogarden is doing are you thinking of getting one too? lol I think I’ve shut off that part of my brain that says well what will happen if it grows bigger where will we put it? I’ve ignored it too many times it’s given up lol! Oh I’m so excited for that valentine it’s one I’ve always wanted and I’m thinking well how can I pas this up and amy was too good at enabling lol once she said that Phoenix might not get it next year I was sold Lol!! Brian I think I saw a couple feet of space in your greenhouse lol you might be able to squeeze in something there!! Oh keep an eye on that sugar she’ll blend right into the snow lol cookie for the first time ever sticks out like a sore thumb in the dark now thanks to the snow! Brian I guess she froze herself the night before she refuses to go out now lol yes I heard the same thing about the salt Brian i Use little rubber booties on my cookie she hates them though lol

Brian that is so cold!!! it’s a wonder how they do so well in such cold temperatures in your greenhouse!! You know I checked the soil temp just now it’s just at 38 degrees but many of my trees especially my sugarbelle looks a little droopy and wilted I’m just hoping they’ll perk back up I wonder if it’s the sheer size of your containers And trees that make them so strong? Every time I show my family and friends they don’t believe you’re in a colder area than I am!

One last picture Brian As you can see my greenhouse gets absolutely no sun until beginning of February from October to February it’s pretty much in the shadow of our house unfortunately but the citrus don’t seem to mind they go somewhat dormant! as you can see I’ve tried to get as many pots off the ground as possible Lol turned my table into a plant bench of sorts. Let me tell you wrapping them in garbage bags was not fun lol next time I’m just getting those pool covers and covering the whole greenhouse like Amy!

nulesm thanked Jan
  • Jan

Mike!!!! You’re so lucky lol wish you’d bring some of that sunshine over to us! Oh those Australian fires are the worst it’s so heart breaking to see all those little koalas hurt! I almost was Going to go there to volunteer at the koala hospitals but my premed days are waaaaay behind me id probably be more hassle than help lol mike your citrus must be loving all that heat!!! Have you picked any citrus so far mIke? It’s funny we had such nice warm weather didn’t even need to take out my winter jacket until a week ago and this snow storm just hit us out of nowhere! mike I know the feeling had to go to a dear friends sudden funeral last year it’s tough. My friend was 2 weeks to 60 and was fine for all we knew he was planning out retirement and travel too but one morning his heart just gave out scary isnt it. just a reminder to do what you love and live every second to the fullest. Praying for you through this tough time my friend big hugs to you and your family!

nulesm thanked Jan
  • Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

Jan, you are a riot. I too wanted to volunteer for the Koala bears. I feel so bad for all of them and the they say billion animals lost. I can't believe you have snow like that and I still nothing. Are you not supoose to be warmer than us? lol Yes, at the beach Saturday and walked the sand. I couldn't believe I was doing that the whole time in January. Now when it's 40's, it's freezing and then when it is in the 20's come Friday, it will feel frigid. lol I really appreciate it Jan. I was sitting in the car waiting for the fneral home to open while it was snowing while the day before it was 73. You know, I had the stomach bug that kept me up all night Sunday and by Monday morning I was a pall bearer at the funeral. I don't know how I did it. YOu are right, you do have to appreciate every second of every day, what you love to do, and the ones still here with us that we love.

Looking at your greenhouse, I can't believe you didn't put a pool cover over it, but them too if I had mild winters like you are suppose to have, I wouldn't bother either. Too bad your house is blocking the sun, but just think, only 3 more weeks and then yahoo, the sun will be there again. You know what I love? When the sun rises higher and higher and so the temp in the greenhouse once trhe sun is in there. Right now the warmest it gets in there on sunny cold days at noon is about 70, but in two weeks it will jump to 80. leaving my space heaters to shut off and I save money. I can't wait. I actually leave most of my citrus trees on the very very cold porch. They still grow flowers, ripen fruit, and never drop leaves unless I forget to water. Strange that way. and the best part of it all, NO BUGS!

The canaries and the singing finch were singing away this morning listening to Elvis songs. It was a riot. Just love them birds. My cat was running around the house chasing a spider. It was crazy today.

What are those plants you have in front of both sides of your greenhouse? Will they grow come spring ? They are very nice. I think you have a great idea about using raised beds of soil on your cemented areas. That is what I do! Steve here does that on the roof of his house. Smart guy he is. Are those Phaleanopsis I see on that bench? Wow if so! I wish I could send you a few fragrant orchids my friend. I would hook you up with the cocnut orchid. Smells like the suntan Hawaiian tropic you rub on. I love Roses too! I'm glad I started that thread. I brought out a lot of rose lvers and created a few.lol I have some of the most fragrant ones you will ever find. It is good to see that they do so well up there. I know you and Laura would LOVE the Pope John Paul the first rose. It's perfect in shape, pure white, and so vey very fragrant! let me see if I can find a pic for you)

Love how you made the frame of your greenhouse black too. I love everything about it and you. Hugs

Brian, I think more pics of your place is way over due. It makes me smile when I need it most. I can't believe we are getting the weather we are getting. When winter finally comes in the way it's suppose too, we are in store for Antartica! Bow will we be sorry buddy. Brian buddy, I just noticed your variegated fruit! Beautiful. Can't wait for you to tell us if it's sweet. Mines are changing color too. let me know when to pic mine buddy.

Bow, holy moley!! I would love to grow a tree like that here. I wonder? What a bunch of good looking fruit on that table!! Wow Great job

nulesm thanked Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
  • Laura LaRosa (7b)

Jan your greenhouse is wonderful, and the rose identification makes my heart sing because I have that one. I planted it late last year so it has not bloomed yet. I can’t wait to get blooms later this year. My house will be decorated with them! Stay warm and enjoy your citrus!

nulesm thanked Laura LaRosa (7b)
  • Kelley_GA8a

Gosh, Jan - your greenhouse is just gorgeous! I may have to plant some roses this year, especially the one you pictured above. You’ve inspired me lol. I lost my little peach rose this past year - this one would be a great replacement. Stay warm and enjoy your break!

nulesm thanked Kelley_GA8a
  • nulesm

Hello Jan . OMG Cookie is so cute and adorable she has the most beautiful eyes I love the little bow in her hair she's a real lady . Don't let her out today you will lose her in all that new snow you received last night lol . Jan as always your greenhouse looks spectacular! It looks sooooo warm and inviting no wonder you spend so much time in there . Does Cookie follow you in there ? Sugar is not to fussy with the Greenhouse he might spend 10 minutes in there then he wants out maybe its the music I play lol. Jan your plants and trees are AMAZING they look so healthy and happy . Amazing job your doing there Jan and with no sunshine soon my friend February is not far away . By the way love that Buddha's hand the fruit is huge . Jan my greenhouse only gets about 4 hours of sun in the dead of winter and its mostly morning sunshine . My neighbor has a huge cedar hedge that shades the greenhouse in the afternoon. Jan I see that you have heavy snow this morning poor you guys. Would all that snow shut down the city of Vancouver ? At least you wouldn't have to shovel it you know its going to melt in a few days that's nice . I wish you would have had this during Christmas I know how much you wanted a White Christmas darn . Jan have you noticed winters getting colder there in the last few years ? It seems it snows there every winter now were before it was very hit and miss . It must be so picturesque with all that snow and with those huge mountains as a backdrop . Jan I hate when the snow doesn't slide off the greenhouse so annoying. The snow only seems to slide off by itself if there was a lot , a small less than an inch of snow will stick or until it melts . Isn't sleet one of the worst it's so heavy and almost impossible to shovel but it's still better than freezing rain . Jan that must have been a huge job getting your trees in those garbage bags poor you hope that you had help . Jan I have had no wilting of the trees with the cool temperatures at night . My greenhouse is not at 38F every night most of the time it's around 42 F . In the last couple of weeks it's been 38F in there maybe 3 nights actually one night it dropped to 36F with no ill effect. I'm looking forward to February when the sun really starts to heat up the air in there I'm sure there will be a huge bloom . Jan those roses are beautiful are they easy to take care of in Vancouver . I've tried them here and in the spring they are dead I think our winters are just to cold so I have given up . Jan have you tried growing apple trees ? This past fall we planted a honey crisp tree they are so good I might add a ambrosia tree this spring . I know ambrosia is huge in British Columbia. Jan we grow Peppers and Tomatoes in pots in the Greenhouse in late May. Jan you should see how fast they grow with the heat in the greenhouse it's incredible. We have two huge raised beds one is for herbs and the other is for strawberries and misc vegetables. We also grow blueberries and raspberries , we have quit a few bushes so plenty of berries. We grow lots but it's only sloppy seconds for us , we only get to enjoy the rewards after the birds , skunks , raccoons, squirrels, chipmunks, mice etc etc lol . Jan stay warm my friend and keep those pictures rolling love them .

Brian

• nulesm

Mikey my friend so sorry to hear about your friend and your right it's very tuff to get through but just try to focus on all the good moments you had together. Mikey buddy are you ready to freeze lol , a lot of brrrrr is about to pounce on us . You better drag out your winter boots , heavy sweaters and jacket no more beach and hiking for you my friend lol so jealous. It's been very mild here to most nights one 1500 W heater with maybe a small 700 W heater going at the same time but rarely. Not bad at all considering the greenhouse is a 12 x 16 . Mikey ouch the long range right to the middle of March below average temperatures so much for all the savings on electricity right lol . Have you checked out the temperatures in Western Canada outrageous way to cold . Mikey my friend 6 inches of snow tonight and maybe an additional foot on the week oh we are going to pay lol. Mikey the fruit on my trees have been exceptional this winter so good . I think when the stripes on the variegated fruit are intense orange they are ready . Had one a week ago and it was good but probably needed another week or two . Mikey like many others here your trees and plants , flowers look fantastic great job my friend . We might not be so called experts but man we are all doing a fine job . Lots of spring thoughts my friend stay warm ! Hugs

Brian

• Kelley_GA8a

Brian, I just checked the weather for Banff, AB and it’s showing -25 degrees Fahrenheit. I added the location to my weather app when we visited a few years back. Too cold for my bones! You guys stay warm up there :)

nulesm thanked Kelley_GA8a
  • poncirusguy6b452xx

Ouch I am in my 50'sF

nulesm thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
  • nulesm

Kelley and Steve its even worst in Edmonton, Saskatoon, Regina and Calgary pure ridiculous. I've been to Banff Kelley so beautiful a must see .

Brian

• Jan

Brian!!!! We got hit with another big one today it was snowing all day long lol well I was definitely not going out and I think everyone had the same idea I was looking out from my window while knitting and Not a single person or car passed by In the 5 hours I was there lol Vancouver really does shut down with the littlest snow I don’t know how you guys ever coped with that amount of snow! I heard you guys will be hit with quite the snow storm next week brian oh dear! Looks like more than a foot of snow is that right?!? Better get that sleet off Brian last year that’s what did our gazebo in it just collapsed from the sheer weight they’re so heavy and dense! Lol Brian I put cookie down for a walk and it was a no go she sank all the way up to her neck and couldn’t move lol! I bet her and sugar are the same size Best to let them go on a potty pad I bought some just for a time like this! :) thank you Brian I do so love it in the greenhouse spent a good chunk of my evening there today I don’t know what it is but it’s warmer in there than it was yesterday believe it or not maybe it’s all the snow piled on to it is insulating it it’s been around 15 degrees in there today weirdly enough! No cookie in there though she seems to dislike being in that greenhouse I can’t figure out why lol! Brian you are so right!!! It’s been maybe 5 years of this crazy snowy weather That we didn’t used to have it must be all the crazy things happening to the world might have shifted some snowstorms our way but I don’t mind Brian I’ve kept my Christmas tree up just so I can pretend I had my white Christmas lol!! Nobody in here to tell me it’s not Christmas even got the Christmas music out!

Snow on the roof acting as Thick insulation perhaps!

Brian it Must be even warmer inside your greenhouse with the five wall glazing you got! Id love to see a picture of your tropical get away I’m sure it’s filled with blossoms and fruit!

I couldn’t believe it brian I got icicles hanging off the greenhouse I feel like I’m in a painting! Lol so picturesque if only my hands didn’t freeze!

Is it possible that this blossom is fragrant even before it opens?!? Cara cara blossom can’t wait for fruit! :)

brian aren’t roses just the best?! You know what I think this is the first time I had this rose in a pot when it got down to -14! I’m not sure what will happen come spring I just hope it’s still alive! Ooooh Brian I just loooooove the apple crisp are they productive for you over there? Here it’s a hit or miss there are years when it goes wild and there are hundreds of apples then the next year barely any after the squirrels and rats get to them lol brian it still baffles me your greenhouse goes that low with no ill effect you must have magic hands brian! :) you know brian I’ve never tried growing peppers and tomatoes in the greenhouse during summer!!! What a fantastic idea I just always thought it’d be too hot in there but I guess that’s exactly what I need! Lol Brian my seedlings are so leggy! I think I might have started them too early lol! I’ll be thinking of you during your snowstorm dear friend stay warm And careful of that slippery ice! :)

nulesm thanked Jan
  • Jan

Mike my friend thinking of you!!! the stomach bug is no fun no fun at all those things can last a long time too if you don’t take care of yourself. I find when it rains it pours I feel like sometimes everything will go right and then suddenly tons of things will go wrong hang on in there friend things are bound to get better with the sun :) I did see that you and Brian will get some cold weather next week be careful this is how people usually get the flu the extreme flux in temperatures mike! That’s crazy lol beach one day freezing cold the next! mike how cold does your porch get? Amazing isn’t it what they can endure I always baby them but maybe they’re Tougher than I thought!

oh mike I’m so glad about your canaries I sadly lost mine last year I’m not sure why they weren’t eating for a couple days then no matter what I did the next morning they had passed! Truly so sad but the darned thing is I don’t know what got them They had food and water they were warm maybe birds just aren’t my thing although mango my lovebird is still with us and loud as ever not as pretty as a canary though lol aren’t furry and feathered friends the best they really brighten up our lives don’t they can’t imagine it without them :)

mike your orchid collection must be a thing of dreams! I’d love to see pictures! Do you keep them inside for the winter? I only have one lol and so far nothing! Not a single leaf growth or flower or root in the last year lol I have had the worst luck with them but if I lived close by you bet I’d be over there sniffing your orchids every chance I got lol you’ll have to shoo me away!

mike the plants outside the greenhouse one is a lavender and the other is a rosemary they’re both my first winter owning them I hope they’ll pull through but boy do I love rosemary I put them in my baked potatoes in fish dishes and everything even popcorn lol I’m obsessed so that used to be a huge bush and over the summer I cut it to half it’s size to use it for cooking poor thing now it’s got over a foot of snow on it!

Mike it is a winter wonderland over here lol I’ve always loved the snow especially if I didn’t have to go drive in it! Supposed to melt off in a couple days sadly so I’m enjoying it to the fullest right now I Haven’t seen it snow this thick since two years ago time to bring some hot tea and snacks to the greenhouse in my fuzzy blanket!! Stay warm buddy lots of hugs!!! :)

nulesm thanked Jan
  • Jan

laura you will absolutely love that rose!! Can’t wait to see pictures come summer! :)

kelly oh if you get a chance take a look at the pretty in pink eden I saw it in real life and it is a stunner! I’ll let you know if this one pulls through I have three in a large pot in -14 weather for a night so i hope they survive!

nulesm thanked Jan
  • Jan

Oh mike I forgot to ask you!! How deep is your raised bed on top of your pavement? I was looking at one particular one at Costco with a sort of cage wire on top to protect it from squirrels and other things but it’s maybe 30” tall it’s going to be a lot of soil to fill lol!

nulesm thanked Jan
  • Bob

Jan, super nice hide-out you got there. You just like high quality stuff. Me to. Got my stuff just the way I like, nothing more. Decorate it with half and half, beautiful flowers and big, fat fruits. Bob said so!

nulesm thanked Bob
  • nulesm

Hello Jan lol what's going on out there ? Spectacular pics of all that snow, you know the last pic you posted could be used as a Christmas Card so lovely ! I think that the greenhouse pic also could be used as a Christmas Card . Lol Jan I can see you dancing around your Christmas tree with a cup of egg nog while singing Christmas carols lol . Jan just finished watching the news and poor you guys looks like Vancouver is shut down so much snow . Jan can you believe that the penguins I think at the Calgary zoo were not allowed out because it's to cold what is this lol ? Jan very happy to say that we did not receive 6 inches of snow last night only 3 Yippee. This weekend only 6-12 inches now imagine. Jan the sleet on my greenhouse from last weekend finally slide off the south side the north side still has it . Your right I'm sure the sleet on the north side will help insulate from the cold temperatures that we are about to get . Minus 21C - -24 C tonight so I probably will have to run 4 heaters in there tonight ouch ! Jan you could not believe last night how I waited for your snow pictures and so not disappointed thank you they are so beautiful. Jan your variegated lemon looks fantastic and are those lemons ever good in beverages such a different taste . Jan the New Zealand lemons are also fantastic giving the drinks a lemon - lime - mandarin flavor really nice . Your Cara Cara looks really nice looks like your going to have a good crop next winter . Jan our raised beds are from Costco they are made very good but don't have the protective mesh I will have to check that out . Enjoy the day my friend and watch that you don't loose Cookie in all that snow let her use the indoor pads poor Cookie . Stay warm my friend!

Brian

• Mary Vanno

I only have 2 roses, they are my keepers even if they smell to the high heavens!

nulesm thanked Mary Vanno
  • Bob

Above reply is mine, Bob, different computer , sorry.

nulesm thanked Bob
  • poncirusguy6b452xx

Going down to 20F tonight so I put 5 of 6 indoor citrus tree into the greenhouse from a week outside. The 6th has to be inside due to its size.

Steve

nulesm thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
  • Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

Jan and Brian, 'STAY WARM'. I can see the big blast of air coming your way and boy it's about ready to pounce upon me too((. The winds are blowing at about 50 miles and hour and it's brutal. But I am thinking it could be worst for this time of the year, like temps below 0. Thank God not that bad.

Jan. I am so sorry to hear you lost your birds. I am sorry. I wonder what that was because of? The raised bed I use is about 8 inches high of dirt. Holy crap, 30 inches tall? lol Some I use for annuals and perennials, and the perennials actually come back. Brian is right, that last picture, by God, it looks so inviting like a Christmas card. Perfect. I would love that view every night. That's it, I am getting a larger house as soon as it's warmer out. I can't stand walking into my small one. What are the dimensions of that one? 8 feet is it? You have to admit, that snow is just beautiful with those lights. Wow. Love how the fruit is doing too. Amazing growing there. Can we all come over for a hot cider and some fresh fruit?

Jan, many of my orchids are flwoering like crazy. I will take a few pics for you to you can smile while keeping warm and cozy. You know, I was walking on the beach one day, then the next sitting in the car waiting for the funeral home to open while it was snowing out. It's just crazy here. I am just happy we are not in those aweful fires. Many hugs to you and keep your pics coming please. I love them all. Hugs to you and yes, stay warm))

nulesm thanked Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
  • Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

Briamy buddy! Stay warm? That wind is horrendous right? Can you believe how fooled we were with such a miled winter so far. I knew we would get punched in the face with winter. Never a mile winter anymore. I remember one when we were still mowing our yard in the middle of winter. I don't think we ever git below freezing the whole winter and we thought the end was coming,lol. We thought our winters were going to be warming up from then on, boy were we wrong.lol Brian, buddy, thank you. It was a hard loss but one must keep going and let me tell you, we must turn to our friends family and plants for comfort. The thought of my plants makes me smile all the time. Looking at yours and everyone elses' too). I know right? Now it's to 4 space heaters maybe. I was so use to only having to use one and keeping my electric bill down. maybe only a month of this and that's it. The sun is much higher in February and by March, we will be just about all set, thank God.

It was weird having to put on three space heaters to prepare for tonight. Had to check all my plugs, replace all the batteries to the thermometers and make sure all the plants were ready for a lack of rain water. Now I have to wait for it to warm enought to use the outside house. Speaking of that. Brian, how do you water your trees in winter? Do you carry watering cans to your greenhouse of have some in there and use your hose on warmer days when you can?

Brina, please be wrong about the long range forecast buddy. Ugh lol I forgot your greenhouse was that huge! I wish! By the way, one space heater for that is not bad. Wow buddy. I forgot, do you have a pool cover over it? How's Sugar in all of this? Must hate going into the snow.lol I can just picture that. You might loose her being white and tiny in the snow if it's more than a foot deep. Please stay warm too buddy. Bundle up, it's going to be a long ride and we are in this together buddy. Hugs

nulesm thanked Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
  • Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

Bob, Such a lovely display of roses. You have the magic touch in everything you grow. By nature, you are the man. I hope all is well and that this frigid air is not moving your way. Please keep us posted. I never know how cold gets there buddy.

Mike

nulesm thanked Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
  • Bob

7 day forecast, 40* and some thirties, a day of snow which my dog loves a lot. Once or twice a year of snow ain’t bad. Our dog goes nuts over snowballs, the bigger the better.

I need one more rose, it has to be YELLOW.

nulesm thanked Bob
  • Kelley_GA8a

Oh, Jan! I’m going to have to add the pretty in pink to my list. It’s gorgeous! Though, I’m not sure how well they’ll do in my southern, humid climate. It’ll be well worth the attempt :).

I would love snow this year, but I don’t envy y’all’s weather right now! The low here tonight will be 40F and it’s a huge shock after 70’s. Wish I could share a little warmth with you guys:

nulesm thanked Kelley_GA8a
  • nulesm

Hello Mikey I hope all went well hooking the three heaters up last night . Wasn't it a cold night? You know I love snow it makes everything so clean and brite but darn I hate the intense cold ? Mikey my friend its sooooo cold right now like -6 F cold and tonight-10F and 8 - 10 inches of snow tomorrow which I will take any day over freezing rain . Right now it's -6 F out and I have all the heaters off in the greenhouse love the sun . By 1.00 pm I will have to turn the heating back on as I loose the sunshine . Mikey do you get any hours of sunshine on your GH and porch during January . You must really have to heat your porch when it's this cold . Mikey watering is so easy now no more running back and forth with buckets . We bought one of those expandable hoses 100 ft which runs from the basement to the greenhouse. Now I only have to water one time every three weeks and when watering I give them all a huge thorough water . Its so great Im now able to give the trees a wash if needed . Poor Sugar he hates the cold with in a minute outside his feet arefrozen then he starts to limp so at these temperatures we have to put his coat and boots on which he hates more I think lol . I will try to take a pic of him all dressed up . Mikey they are all over the map with the long range forecast one day cold until May then the following day it might not be as bad who knows but I definitely think winter is here to stay extreme cold or normal cold . My thoughts are with you my friend and please stay warm . Let us know how it went last night and temperatures in your GH and porch . Hugs buddy

Kelley beautiful fire side pic love those . Bob and Kelley and even Steve your weather makes all us northerners a little bit jealous enjoy it .

Brian

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

Brian buddy , haha. Please do. I would love to see Sugar with his booties and coat on. Lol. Poor thing. He hates the cold like us. Tell him to stay warm too despite he may have more hair than us on. Lol. I can picture it. Last night the winds blew well over 50 miles an hour and I lost a couple of trees. The noise kept me up all night buddy ! No sleep. I only had two heaters going and it was 13 this morning but inside there it was 60. Thank god. Right now at 11 am it’s 76 degrees in there. Brian buddy , you have to thank God everyday for that sun for sure and it just keeps getting stronger and stronger. If it was February it would be over 80 with temps this cold. Can’t wait. I love your watering idea ! I have the same hoses and a faucet in the basement. Never thought of watering that way. Who’s better than you buddy ? Lol I still use rain water on my orchids though. I ll use tap then rinse with rain water. Gets rid of all the salts. Thanks buddy. About 6 inches of snow tomorrow but guess what ? I’m seeing 40’s again in a few days. I’m so excited. Funny how we keep looking at the ten day right ? Lol it actually affects my mood . Crazy.
    Please stay warm. I’ll chat soon. Gotta to mom to doctors. Hugs

Kelly, what a great idea to share the warmth. Beautiful. I’ll bet you have made many good memories by that fire. So inviting. And that’s cold for you guys and a heatwave for us. Lol. Thank you. Stay warm

Bob. Thanks for the update. I didn’t know it got that cold there. No wonder you bring all your trees inside. Nice job buddy

Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource