FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

sue430

Help to reconfigure master bath?

Sue 430

We are in the planning stages of a bathroom remodel, the point is to enlarge the shower and either get rid of the tub or switch to a smaller tub. I first thought to just remove the tub and increase the shower size into that space, but as you can see from the photos, there is a big window there, which makes that not a good solution. My next thought was to close off the door on the left going to the master bedroom and move the door further to the right and bring the shower from ending where it does now to going all the way to the wall where the door is. We never use the tub and it is really using up a lot of space. I would just as soon get rid of it, but the question becomes what to put there? Cabinets? Not sure what else could go there. I would love to hear any and all ideas, we are planning to also replace vanity, sink, faucet, mirror/medicine cabinet, all floors etc. This is the only bathtub in the house but we really don't care, as we both prefer showers. Thoughts? Please excuse my poor drawing and photography skills.

• P M

Why are there 2 doors going into the bathroom?

• Sue 430

There is a door from each bedroom that goes into the bathroom.

• P M

This is a plan but would require losing one of the doors

Sue 430 thanked P M
  • Sue 430

I appreciate the idea PM, I do really need 2 doors unfortunately, unless I put the door in the hall. Hate to do that because it would be right at the top of the stairs, which go straight down to the front door.

• P M

Sure-I understand. Thought perhaps you could make due with just one door from the master if you have another full bath.

• P M

It might be helpful if you could draw a sketch of the rooms contiguous with the bathroom. The two doors seem odd. Is there another bathroom on that floor?

• suzanne_m

How high is your ceiling? Would you consider have transom windows and get more flexibility on your bathroom remodel?

Sue 430 thanked suzanne_m
  • suzanne_m

You could put your vanity in front of the window. Here are some examples from Houzz:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/query/vanity-in-front-of-windows/nqrwns

If you do so, I would move the door to the right and use the right wall for your shower just as you suggested and put a tall cabinet where your vanity is currently.

A side note: If you don't have another tub in the house, I am not totally convinced about removing the tub even if you don't use it.

Sue 430 thanked suzanne_m
  • Sue 430

Thanks for the ideas! I would realiy hate to lose the window, I love it and it would be expensive. I really like the idea of putting the vanity there if I could figure out what to do about a mirror...

• felizlady

I know it will cost more, but I think the bathroom needs to be gutted since you are already planning to remove the tub. How does a person get into a tub which has such a wide surround and so many impediments to avoid while trying to maneuver a naked body over the edge? A simple freestanding tub (gorgeou$) or a simpler built-in tub with easy-to-reach controls and easy access would be a start. We eliminated the tub when renovating our master bath....neither of us had ever used the tub in 20 years...and a nice larger shower was desired. No regrets about no tub.

Sue 430 thanked felizlady
  • Sue 430

felizlady, when we first did the bathroom 20 yrs ago, I wanted a huge shower and no tub. I was talked out of it by the designer and my husband who both said we had to have a tub, even knowing that we never take baths. Now, my original plan was to just move the door, enlarge the shower from 4x4 to 4x7 and to put a smaller, freestanding tub (because I think they look nice and don't know what else to put there) where the tub is now. Would probably give us space for a larger vanity. Now my husband has decided that we should have no tub at all because we never use it. Which is true, but I thought it would look nice and be there on the very rare ocasion that I wanted to take a bath. The problem is the large empty space if we don't put the tub there. Husband is wanting to do cabinets, just not sure how that would look. We could use extra cabinets, but really don't need them either.

• P M

I have the Fleurco voce petite tub in our new remodel which is beautiful IMO and "checks off" the bathtub box but is only 55 inchesx31inches so has a small footprint. It is really nice to have it for an occasional bath and it is very comfortable. If you don't have another tub in the house I really think you should try to squeeze one in to your plan.

Sue 430 thanked P M
  • suzanne_m

I did not see if you mentioned about a double sink vanity. Is this a must in your remodel?

Sue 430 thanked suzanne_m
  • P M

You might want to consider relocating both entrances to the bathroom close to each other and use either barn or pocket doors to increase your flexibility in bath layout and to provide a more balanced plan.

Clear Ridge Classic Master Suite · More Info

Sue 430 thanked P M
  • suzanne_m

I recommend a single sink so you can have a single mirror that would fit better with the shape of your window. I also put a small tub surrounded by a plateform to make it easier to clean around the tub.

• Sue 430

Thanks for the ideas suzanne_m, and your much more professional design than my terrible drawing :-) A single sink is all we need, we rarely get ready at the same time, and I have a vanity in the bedroom that I use for make up, hair, etc

• P M

Sue430’s plan looks really nice! I would try to consider extending the vanity and eliminating the closet and either do a trough sink with 2 faucets or two sinks. You have the space and I think for both practical and resale it makes sense.

Sue 430 thanked P M
  • suzanne_m

If you don't like the idea of a mirror in front of the window, you can always switch the tub with the vanity and have a pony wall between the toilet and the tub. If you do so, you can either have a 4" shorter shower or 2'8" space for the toilet.

You would need a small tub like P M suggested.

EDIT: If you don't like the idea of losing 4" in either toilet or shower, you can make a compromise and lose 2" in each areas.

If you switch the tub with the vanity, you could also keep the toilet where it currently is but personally I don't really like the idea of the view of the toilet when I enter the bathroom. I like the idea of a pony wall beside the window to keep the light in the right side of the bathroom and make the bathroom less compartmented.

Sue 430 thanked suzanne_m
  • suzanne_m

This is the visual of my 2nd suggestion. I added the towel racks as I find this is often forgotten in the planning phase.

Personally, I find the 2 sink vanities are overrated but you have the room and for sure it would please some buyers.

Sue 430 thanked suzanne_m
  • suzanne_m

sue430, not that I am looking for a compliment but I have noticed that you didn't mention about if you like or not either floor plan. I am asking so I know what you are looking for in your remodel and try to work on it. I tend to keep in mind the resale value so that s why I kept the tub and tried to fit a 2-sink vanity but at the end of the day, your are the owner of the house and you decide what is best for you.

• live_wire_oak

A 40K-60K bathroom redo requires the assistance of a Kitchen and Bath Designer. Hire one.

• suzanne_m

I agree with live_wire_oak but I find it does not hurt to have other suggestions and talk about this with the designer.