Software
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

'Gloire des Rosomanes' (1826)

6 years ago

aka, of course, "Ragged Robin"






Comments (13)

  • 6 years ago

    I love the bush shape, Jeri! Another one on the list.


  • 6 years ago

    Thanks for such a pretty bush as Sheila says! Does anyone still use it as a rootstock?

  • 6 years ago

    Very pretty!

  • 6 years ago

    I love Ragged Robin, and I love De la Grifferaie. I am glad that I can grow the former. The latter doesn't want to live here. (Too multiflora for my conditions.)

    And I don't know if anyone still uses it. Theoretically, no. But I have seen a rose from Hortico (long ago) budded onto the 1986 Austin, 'Claire Rose." And I have another Hortico plant that was budded onto Manetti. So, you just never know.

  • 6 years ago

    Ha! I just realized that both of these roses were hybridized by Vibert. I think I had better look at some of his other roses....


    One nice thing, finally it seems to be trickling into the literature on roses that "root stock" is not some strange root thingy "with 7 leaves", which produces mysterious "suckers" which always produce red roses, and which to be removed. That is what I read when I was first trying to find out about roses. The facts, of course, is that root stock is just a different rose, and could be lots of different ones, and is frequently an OLD ROSE, which was selected for its strong roots and vigor. AND, "suckers" do not have to come from root stock, but may come from the actual roots of a rose on its own roots, which has decided to colonize the area around itself. There are still so many old canards about roses being written and passed on that it is discouraging, but I am encouraged that now at least there is also accurate information being written.


    Jackie

  • 6 years ago

    Jeri, you should have seen all those Hortico HTs budded onMaid of Honor at Limberlost. Bill Grant had quite a Few Austins which threw MoH "suckers". That thing is a HORSE. Yes, "root stock" can mean anything.

  • 6 years ago

    Amazing, isn't it?

    Yes. My rampant 'Fortuniana'is also a cutting from what clearly was rootstock (Kim -- one of those in the SJB Cemetery). And my 'Cymbaline' is going to turn into Manetti, if we don't remove it soon.

    For that matter, I would grow 'Dr. Huey' (the late Bill Hillman did) but I would have to spray like mad to keep it halfway clean, here.

  • 6 years ago

    There is a very large old plant of Dr. Huey in my old neighborhood, about 2 house away from mine. It is glorious during the beginning of its massive Spring (and only) flush, but if you wait to long it is a horrible mess of mildew.


    Jackie

  • 6 years ago

    Down here, Huey seems to mildew, rust, AND blackspot!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Even the flower petals mildew... even if he has an illustrious heritage. Seedling of Dorothy Perkins (hence the mildew. Dorothy mildewed her way around the world) crossed with Gruss an Teplitz which contained Gloire des Rosomanes, Papa Gontier, Sir Joseph Paxton and Fellenberg.

  • 6 years ago

    In his day, he was highly regarded.

    Bill Hillman grew him, but he sprayed like a demon ...

    Now, I'll tell you where he is glorious: LAS VEGAS, NV. Get off the Strip, and drive through older neighborhoods in the spring, and he'll knock your socks off.

  • 6 years ago

    Too dry and warm to support fungi yet sufficient water to prevent water stress induced rust. Perfect.


0