Software
Houzz Logo Print
krista_seattle

Snowbird in the PNW?

6 years ago

Hi everyone,

Has anyone in the Pacific Northwest grown Snowbird? If so, how big does it want to be? HMF has info that conflicts with the estimates given on this forum regarding the size of the plant. In addition, it seems to be grown mostly in California. Perhaps the smaller size estimate would be accurate farther north? Any idea about black spot resistance? It is described as very healthy, but we all know that these things vary from place to place. I don't spray, so if it is going to completely defoliate I'm not into it.

Thanks all!

Comments (12)

  • 6 years ago

    This, in the Sacramento City Cemetery, might be more reasonable ... but it was grown from the mother plant on Louise Ave.

    K S 7a Yakima thanked jerijen
  • 6 years ago

    That was a very old, unpruned plant, though. It was easily kept between 3' and 4' high by about the same in my Newhall garden. That was a virused plant budded on Dr. Huey by "you know who".

    K S 7a Yakima thanked roseseek
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks Jeri and Kim! I think I am going to try it!

  • 6 years ago

    It really IS a good old HT. It's very OGR looking.

    K S 7a Yakima thanked roseseek
  • 6 years ago

    And very fragrant!


    K S 7a Yakima thanked jerijen
  • 6 years ago

    Totally different climate but I love this rose. Mine is a couple years old and about 4 feet high or so. Always in bloom (except hot summer). She has that grace and elegance of tea roses. I would not be without her. As others said, very fragrant too.

    K S 7a Yakima thanked debbym, Tempe, AZ Zone 9
  • 6 years ago

    I wish I could add more info, but I've only had Snowbird in my garden for one season...but it has been extremely healthy so far. I'm on Bainbridge Island...we definitely get blackspot here.

    K S 7a Yakima thanked Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Although I'm on the other side of the country in black spot

    country, I used to grow SB at a previous house. It always stayed

    covered in perfectly shaped HT type blooms, all season long. I used

    to try to count the number of blooms at any one time, and always

    gave up, when I got to 100. That's how productive SB is. Mine was on

    its own roots. More people should grow this rose.

    K S 7a Yakima thanked rayrose SC 8
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I’m in the Willamette Valley of Oregon, 90 miles south of PDX. A friend of mine has a 30 year old specimen growing up the side of her south-facing barn. The plant is about 15 feet tall and almost as wide. It’s a beautiful flower, and obviously the rose survives with little care, but it is extremely prone to Blackspot, to the point of complete defoliation. I’ve seen her plant in full bloom in mid/late June, with only a few new leaves near the growing tips. It wasn’t pretty.

    K S 7a Yakima thanked User
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks for the feedback everyone! Paul, I'm worried that based on your report this is going to turn into a spotty/naked nightmare, but I've already ordered it. However, it may not be the right rose for the spot I'm considering.

  • 6 years ago

    @K S 7a Yakima Often, disease resistance (and the lack thereof) is very site specific, so its possible that your location may be far more hospitable to 'Snowbird' than the site my friend has it planted. I can grow 'Tiffany' here and it never gets a blemish on its foliage, ever. That is quite unlike the experience most growers in our area have with that variety.


    So, you will only find out by growing it yourself. Its a beautiful thing, if it likes where its planted! Good luck.

    K S 7a Yakima thanked User