sherrygirl5

R daylilies 2020

Today is the day to show us your R daylilies. Today’s quote: “ I think it’s clear that companies making medicine have no idea what fruit tastes like.”

Reindeer Antlers and Red Eyed Fantasy we’re both added in Fall of 2018 and had a few blooms this past spring. I have only one photo of each and love them both already.

Ruby Spider is such a good performer.

Real Wind, such great color on this oldie, also difficult to get the true shade, orange sherbet.

Red Volunteer growing in way too much shade.

I added Red Hot Returns two full seasons ago hoping to extend the blooms here. It hasn’t rebloomed for me yet. One promising trait is that it is taller than other Returns daylilies I have had. I Will probably keep this one and eliminate Ruby Stella.

Sherry

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

I literally laughed out loud and woke up my cat with your saying about medicine. How funny......What a great picture of Reindeer Antlers. I grow it but haven't gotten as good a picture of it as you have. Another worthy Hensley daylily. I grew Real Wind way back when. It was not colorfast here, but early in the AM it was sooo pretty. Great picture of Red Volunteer with the Hostas.............I have a couple I can post. One is new, one has been with me forever.

This is an older picture because I've had it so long I have about quit taking new pictures of it every year as it always looks the same. Very stable and reliable. A profuse bloomer early in the season:

ROSE MASTERPIECE:

And a new one for me last year. A small side trip into UF's which I generally don't care for in my garden. Loved this one though:

Rudy:

Maryl

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • mantis__oh

Let us know how Rudy continues to do for you. There are a lot of Rose Kennedy kids that have the same slow growth rate as the parent, so it would be wonderful if this were an exception.

I still have Real Wind. As Sherry notes, the color draws attention. Plant habit leaves a lot to be desired. Red Eyed Fantasy didn't do well here, but I see some Northern pictures of it.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked mantis__oh

Need help to choose arm chairs for my entrance

Yes,do go for a black and white canvas picture or a nice black framed portrait (black and white) that would go great with the white chairs that have pieces of black shapes on them and one of the cushions.I can see the chairs have some circle shapes on them, you can probably add a large black framed round mirror to the background of the two chairs instead of pictures. And with that mirror, add a nice small mirrored table in between the two chairs. If ur going with framed/canvas picture stick with black furniture for that space, for example a nice small black MODERN table and a small light on it.....hope this helps. Remember to finish off with a nice rug as well, and stick with the colors you have going on. The pictures you posted of the chairs are not as good quality and I am not sure what color are the chairs exactly ( off white, white, ivory etc.) And if u find a nice plane simple rug (simple shapes..maybe circles would look best or just lines of the particular colors u have going on) would look great. Good luck!

Help me with my reception room

Nice choice in finding your colors again for this room! I like it so much more than the picture that was there before....nothing persona labout the picture, but it was hard to see there.

Find this chair (or similar!)

This looks similar: http://www.softsurroundings.com/detail.php?parentid=7150540&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=71505&utm_content=Avignon%20Tufted%20Back%20Chair%20-%20Light%20Linen%20-%20Soft%20Surroundings&utm_term=7150540&vcn=CSE&aid=froogle&cm_mmc=froogle-_-HOME%20DECOR%2FURNITURE%2CHAIRS%20%26%20STOOLS-_-Datafeed-_-Avignon%20Tufted%20Back%20Chair%20-%20LIGHT%20LINEN&gclid=CjwKEAiA8_KlBRD9z_jl_fKBhQkSJABDKqiXTWWni0g2fGZccI2v9JQwNtYRg1PdBjTOnYAD8ZS34xoCNQLw_wcB and also this: https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1760975703586334733?q=linen+tufted+chair&espv=2&biw=1405&bih=718&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.83829542,d.aWw&ion=1&tch=1&ech=1&psi=UKi9VNz-O4a3yASWkIL4Dw.1421715537266.5&prds=paur:ClkAsKraXz7l6WjNbe7uSJ6bExxniOHmViYZDefo5K68NvXg7CakwcBZJO2Fx29H9gFhb8ceG9Y1QxvWXnZixdbKh_lYG_KnLX0pXz9TzHP2Jfaq4HezIviiOhIZAFPVH70hqRrBYjoBRgvcYkvQr25WNElysg&ei=g6i9VJHpMcedygTw74KACQ&ved=0CMQEEKkrMBo

Perennials Front yard

Paola, you need to provide more information about your garden space if you hope to get any reasonable or useful answers from the Houzz responses. From what I've read Droplet & Daphne have given you the best advise so far. Before you do anything, however, you have to cut the bed, get the size and shape right for the shape of your house then think about the fun part, the plantings. Use a garden hose or spray paint to give yourself some noncommital ideas. Your lovely home seems very angular so you may want to draw a more organic or ameboid bed to soften the lines of the house. Then consider the following when choosing plantings. You know your growing zone Soil type acid or alkaline dry, damp, soil shade what time of day wind tolerance Are you removing the small stone retaining wall or removing it? My suggestion enlarge the area. From there you can't go wrong with native plants. If you're fortunate enough to have a small landscape business (not a big box store) near by many of them offer consultation services, for a price, without your having to commit to buying their plants, or a full service contract or instillation etc. Asking for local help is your best bet and it helps the local economy. Good luck, makes me want to tare up my front beds and start from scratch. A local landscaper will know your soil best, know what plant stock has thrived in the area, what has taken a hit because of disease or weather trends. If you have access to a horticultural hotline sometimes offered by colleges with horticultural programs, botanical gardens or arboretums, they can be very useful as well. What you'll spend on a consultation you'll save on back breaking work that doesn't pay off, failed plantings due to poor siting choices, bad soil conditions for the plant etc.
  • Nancy 6b

Mantis, so good to see you posting, missed you and your posts a lot. I totally understand the frustration of posting pictures, although it seems a bit easier lately if you just post 5 or 6 at a time.. That may be because there is less going on in the forums though. Editing to add, I usually add 5 or 6 to a post, then edit to add enough to reach 10 pics. I added 5, then got carried away and got 10 more on it with no problem at all. What the... I will add a couple more I was not going to post and see if it works

I got Reindeer Antlers last fall because I realized I wanted more red, and admired the photos here. Red Eyed Fantasy has done pretty well here, multiplied fast and blooms well. Maryl, I have always admired Rose Masterpiece when I see it, but I LOVE Rudy. I also look forward to see how well it does for you.

Rapid Eye Movement does not have as many buds as I would like, but really stands out

Reminds Me of Fireworks, I have several large spidery types, would like to get rid of one or 2, but they all bloom REALLY well for me, so I doubt they are going anywhere.

Rev It Up had its first bloom year and did very well, multiplied and bloomed amazingly well for 1st year. I imagine it will be wonderful this year, especially if I pull those weeds out from around it

Robert Lee Batt, I like the blooms but seems to just be so-so. Maybe I should try moving it

Rock Solid is probably my best blooming plant, not for stupendous bud count, but its instant rebloom. Most fans have 3 scapes at the same time, others 2, with the only ones with 1 fan are noticably more immature blooms.

Romanian Rendevous, spelling looks wrong on that

Rose Electra

Round and Round We Go has such an interesting color, but not many buds. It will probably leave if it does not improve

Royal Elk used to be such a good plant, but for some reason does not bloom as well now.

Ruby Shadows on the other hand used to have just barely average blooms. I moved it around the corner and it bloomed a lot better last summer. Hope that continues

Ruffled Apricot may have gotten taken out by that raccoon, it was down to 1 fan after the attack, and after the drought I did not see it

Ruffles Have Ripples has a lot of buds, but some do not open well

Rue Madelaine

Ruffled Candy

Russian Easter

Royal Occasion

Raspberry Pixie, not the correct name of it, although I have had 2 people assure me it looks just like theirs. It is probably about the right size but close to 30" tall. I don't think it is supposed to be this dusky, almost freckled look, but I like it. Heavy bloomer and quite cute

Red Eyed Fantasy

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • shive

Rainbow Maker multiplied well once in the ground.

Reckless Girls was short last year, but the blooms were beautiful.

Regal Finale always puts on a show in the late season.

Rouen Cathedral - another late that performs well.

Regina Sitko is another good multiplier.

Razor Sharp always has such wonderful edges!

Rings of Triton - slow multiplier and short in its first bloom season.

Rowena Yaeger gave a wonderful performance last year - several scapes with higher than registered bud counts.

Roman Cohort

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • Nancy 6b

Like Reckless Girls, and really love your Regina Sitko. Got it last fall, that dratted raccoon got into it, hopefully it makes it. I hate killing critters, but she is bringing her children now, and I saw the 3 of them last week. Grrr.....

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • shive

Nancy - The raccoons are likely digging your daylilies up because they smell grubs on them. The grubs are likely doing more damage than the raccoons in warmer temps. I love the photo of your cat with Rock Solid. I got Rock Solid as a bonus years ago and gave it away because I had run out of planting room. I never saw multiple scapes in the small pot where I had it planted. I do remember it was hard dormant. Last year I added it's descendant Mountain Wildflower because it was so round, had good stats, and was supposed to be a dormant. Darn if that thing isn't acting like an evergreen here.

Sherry - Reindeer Antlers is such a velvety looking red, and Red Hot Returns has that white edge I like.

Maryl - I'm always drawn to photos of Rudy, and Rose Masterpiece is always so pretty!

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il

Maryl, Rudy looks wonderful! What a nice choice, hope it continues to do well.

Nancy, Rev It Up and Rock Solid are my favorites of yours today, hope Rev It Up keeps doing well. We will have to compare notes on Red a Eyed Fantasy.

Debra, Reckless Girls looks wonderful to me, hope it gets taller for you this season. I didn’t remember that Rouen Cathedral was a late, it’s so pretty, it would be nice if I could find a place to add it here.

Sherry

• celeste

WOW! So many very exceptional ones, too numerous to mention them all. But the two that really got my attention were RUDY and Nancy's orange kitty!

Good to hear from you, mantis! Posting is much easier now so I hope when your daylilies are in bloom you'll give it another try. You've been missed.

I'm afraid I have a lot of 'R's.

RASPBERRY SUEDE (I will show it in a clump and closeup because it is a great daylily)

REBECCA HOCKRIDGE, new this year

RING THE BELLS OF HEAVEN

RED JET

RED KANGAROO

ROYAL FROSTING

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste
  • celeste

REMINDS ME OF FIREWORKS

RANGER BOB

RUCKUS

ROSES IN SNOW

RICTER

ROBIN'S TUITION

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste
  • hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

We added Reindeer Antlers last fall. I can't wait to see it bloom. Regina Sitko and Roman Cohort are two of my favorites today. I also like Razor Sharp and Rudy. We grow Rock Solid and it did really well until I put too many pods on it one season and it still hasn't recovered.

Here are our R's.

Raggedy Man is a great grower that is a welcomed late bloomer in our garden. It's fertile too. We have some nice seedlings out of it.

The color is a bit off here. Rajah is a more orange than this. I thought this made a nice effect. The scapes are arched over another plant (you can see Sunset's tag at the bottom of the photo) with all these flowers.

Ram has such huge blooms.

Ramming Speed is not a favorite of mine. It's a great grower, and I like bicolors, but the colors are harsh. It may not stay in the garden.

Randall the Runner is tender and overwinters in the greenhouse.

Bob like Red Carpet Moment, but it's not a favorite of mine.

Red Eye Express has really intense colors in our early season cool weather last year.

Red Eyed Queen is a southern that is doing well for us. I like the large flat flowers it gives.

More to come . . .

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Red Hot Miracle is an interesting double.

Redneck Riviera is a nice orange, but it will leave the garden this spring. We just have too many similar daylilies.

Remembered Kisses is a favorite of mine.

Ron Valente has taken its time getting going.

Royal Extravaganza so far has done well. This bloom is showing some unfortunate splotchiness on the sepals.

That's all for me.

Nancy

• celeste

RON VALENTE

ROYAL TROPHY

RED TAILED HAWK

ROBERT SEARLES

REGENCY HEIGHTS

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste
  • celeste

It looks like Nancy and I were posting at the same time:))

MORE.....

RUNNING IN THE RAIN

RUBY SPIDER

RUFFLED APRICOT

RASPBERRY GOOSEBUMPS

RED SKELETONS

ROYAL JESTER

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste
  • signet_gw(6b)

Ok I think I have it sorted out now . Here are some of the R's I grow . I have only a very few images to share of 79 R's in my gardens . Not sure why I have so few images but I will have to remedy that this summer .

Regency Heights is one of my fav's I searched high and low for this one about 5 years ago .

Royal Palace Prince is just an ok daylily in my book.

Love Rainbow Maker . I will be spiltting it this spring and planting in several places because I love the look of it . So it will be a few years I guess before it becomes clump size again .

Red Volunteer ( a horrible name for a very hardy and lovely plant)

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked signet_gw(6b)
  • signet_gw(6b)

Rainbow Towers is a nice school bus yellow cheerful bloom

Revolute has been around for years and is quite prolific .

A really deep deep rosy pink bloom is on this great plant named Rogue

Roses in Snow was one I wanted for a long time . I have to say I have been disappointed in it .

Rose Electra was new last year . Pretty bitone . Hope to see dozens of blooms on it this year .

• signet_gw(6b)

Ruby Throat is a great increasing daylily and a robust plant that glows in the garden .

Ruby Spider is an older glorious daylily but it does not reach registered height here .

Rosy Lights . A wonderful UF.

• signet_gw(6b)

Another image of Rosy Lights .

Roswitha ......just replaced this one . Lost it a couple of years back . Not sure why but thought I would try it again . If it goes this time I wont replace it .

Rescue me is a pretty soft looking bloom but with the distinct look that comes from the raised ribs and darker eye

Rose Electra . Hoping for more blooms than it has had in the last 2 years .

• signet_gw(6b)

Ruby Stella is a fantastic grower and has an intense color .

Real Wind has been here a long long time . I almost forget about it most years. which is a shame as it really is a lovely daylily.

That;s probably enough for now .

• Brad KY 6b

Lots of nice Rs especially the purples! Reckless Girls and Ranger Bob are two standouts to me.

Red Grace

Red Viper. Outstanding: tall, well budded, long season, sun-proof, showy.

Red Volunteer

Regal Finale

Regal Heir

Rocket City

Royal Occasion

Russian Rhapsody

Radiant Moonbeam

I have 2 more that I won't post rather than start another one--Red Skeletons and Robb Cobb

Brad

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • lilykate7a

Lots and lots of pretty R flowers! I like seeing some of the oldies-Real Wind was in my garden a long time but got lost in either moving beds around or the great vole invasion-the color is great on that one.

my favorite pink-Rachelle Agin

bad photo-apologies-this one blooms late for me and I always forget to get a good photo. Russian Temple

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
  • lilykate7a

Ruby Spider as it normally looks

Ruby Spider in cool weather

One of only a few doubles I grow-Rose Corsage

Royal Gilded Majesty

• lilykate7a

I have lots of Rs but will just post a few more.

Remembering Grace

Rim of Fire

Ruby Storm with noid in background

Heather, I concur. We must get pictures of our lilies this year!! I did not have a current photo of Reindeer Antlers, Rowena Yaeger (love your clump shot, Debra), Ruffled Perfection, Ruby Claire Mims, Rodelinda and at least five or six others. Ramming Speed, I am sure I did not photograph as I totally agree with Nan about it!!

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Kate, I’m a fan of Rose Corsage, I’m liking doubles more each season. Your Ruby Spider has quite a few poly blooms, so cool!

Brad, I like Red Viper, great color.

Heather, my eye stopped at the great Bitone Rose Electra, I hope it does well for you. Rainbow Maker is so different, I really like it!

Celeste, I love the deep purple on your Ron Valente, it probably wouldn’t be as lovely here, sad. I like Ring the Bells of Heaven so pretty in your garden. Does it open well for you?

Sherry

• harold100

Red Volunteer. I have had this for 5 years and it just won't multiply well. I just had a very large maple removed, so hoping more sunlight does the trick.

Red Hot Returns. A new purchase in 2019 which really multiplied well.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked harold100
  • Brad KY 6b

I see I'm not the only one not watching football! Janelle and I have sometimes gone places on Superbowl time on purpose. One year we went Ice Skating and were 2 of about 12 people in the rink. Very nice!

Rachelle Agin is very nice Kate. And Sherry, Forgot to mention before that Reindeer Antlers is a great shade of red.

Harold, the trick for Red Volunteer is enough but not too much sun. I had mine in the sun and it faded badly. Too much shade and it doesn't bloom or multiply well. I have it in partial shade and sun and it does everything well.

Brad

• shive

Harold - Red Hot Returns looks great in your garden!

Kate - Royal Banner is a stunner!

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • Brad KY 6b

Also forgot, I love that quote Sherry! I think its the best yet!

Brad

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Harold, glad you joined us! Your Red Hot Returns looks great!

Sherry

• harold100

Thanks Brad, Debra, and Sherry.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked harold100
  • signet_gw(6b)

Gonna stick to choosing one daylily that stands out for me from everyone's posts ., otherwise I will be here for hours.

Sherry , Just WOW on Reindeer Antlers ......oh my what a glorious red .

MaryL .....Rudy is my kind of daylily . Uf's have always been my first love!

Debra ....so hard to choose from many of your images ,but push comes to shove I have to pick Reckless Girls.

Nancy 6b . From your pics I choose Russian Easter .....so soft so pretty

Hoosier _nan Royal Extravaganza is gorgeous

Celeste I may have to stray from the single image choice with your group . Just too hard to keep it to one choice . So here goes Raspberry Suede , Ron Valente

Brad , we grow a lot of the same daylilies ( similar tastes?) but I hadn't seen Red Viper . I really really like that one .

• celeste

Sherry, Ring the Bells of Heaven opens well the majority of the time. But it does have some issues opening well if we get a freakish cool night in summer or if there's too much dew. That's why I try to stay away from too many ruffly edged ones but some are just too pretty to resist!

And Brad, hubby and I don't watch the Super Bowl either. We actually don't even watch much tv. It was nice to go grocery shopping tonight and the store was like a ghost town!

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Nancy: Buff Kitty definitely takes the prize, but I do like Rock Solid as well.....Celeste: Reminds Me Of Fireworks looks appropriately named. I like it...........Heather: Ruby Throat's color is luscious in your picture...........Kate: Royal Gilded Majesty is sure strutting her stuff. Very pretty........Harold: I must be on a red kick, because your Red Hot Returns is calling to me. I like the white edging...........Super Bowl? More like FINALLY good reception on Netflix on a week-end night so we could watch the "Crown"....................Maryl

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Sherry Reindeer Antlers is fantastic, what a lead in! So many beauties here especially the reds caught my eye. Rowena Yaeger really stood out too.

Late to the party with only 2. A pitiful showing among all these wondrous displays.

Red Magic is an oldie.
    Ruffled Apricot

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • Brad KY 6b

Sherry, here's a picture I found to go with your quote:

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Brad, that’s perfect! LOL

Sherry

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Laurie, I grow an oldie that looks a lot like your Red Magic, Mine is Autumn Red,so reliable.

Sherry

• shive

Heather - I'm surprised you like Rainbow Maker so well that you divided it and planted it in several places. I love the color, but the shape doesn't do much for me. It's big like a UF, but doesn't have any of the UF shapes. To me, it's and oddity But everyone has different tastes.

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Brad: Perfect Picture for Sherry's quip. LOL..................Maryl

• harold100

Maryl: Thanks. You would enjoy Red Hot Returns. It has a long blooming season. I have been searching today for sellers of it for you but most are $12 to $17. I got mine from Springhill Nursery when they sent out a postcard announcing a sale of 4 fans for $29.99. How could I pass that up?

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked harold100
  • shive

I forgot Rosy Rhino, papa to my Dearest Valentine.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • signet_gw(6b)

Debra, I like Rainbow Maker for its coloring /markings . It is registered as a UF cascade

• shive

Heather - I question the veracity of that cascade registration on Rainbow Maker. I've had it for four years and have never once seen it cascade. Does it ever cascade for you? I've noticed many daylilies in the last five years have been registered as cascade that don't really satisfy the AHA definition. Bob Schwarz, the father of the Unusual Form and head of the committee who wrote the unusual form definitions said a cascade should have the petals curling back almost to the bottom of the daylily.

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • shive

Here are a couple more R's that I left out of the thread.

Razor Eyes

Red Venom

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive