Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_chappa36

Entry door faces closet door.

Lisa Chappa
4 years ago

My main entry door opens and 5 feet ahead is a coat closet door. The coat closet has a built-in china cabinet on the other side and some cupboards on the hallway side so it can't be moved. To the right, as you enter, is a hallway split towards the bedroom/bathroom or the kitchen and to the left is the living room. I'm looking for ideas. How can I make it so the first impression is not a big door? Decorate the door? Play it down with art next to it? I'm stuck. Thank you for any ideas :)

Comments (16)

• Lisa Chappa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is the view from the entry door.

• chiflipper
    4 years ago

Paint the door to match the wall color.

• Lisa Chappa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I do like that idea but it matches all the doors in the house.

• partim
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Can we have a few pictures of the wider area so we can see the size of the nearby walls, and get an idea of the style in the adjacent rooms? I would add some wall decor but hard to make suggestions with only one small picture.

If you like to keep the door consistent with the other doors in the house, I don't think you can decorate the door.

Looks like there are young children in the family. I assume the bins are not permanent in the hallway? Do you need more storage in that area?

Lisa Chappa thanked partim
  • tsjmjh
    4 years ago

Are all of the other doors in the house bothering you as much as this one is? I'd paint it the same color as the wall.

Lisa Chappa thanked tsjmjh
  • partim
    4 years ago

Do you have room for this Ikea shoe cabinet to the right of the closet? 35" wide, 50" high just under 12" deep. You could paint the wall behind it a more interesting colour, or add a bit of wallpaper, to give the area a lift.

• richfield95
    4 years ago

Can you post a picture of the entire wall the door is on? Maybe the trick is to create another focal point.

How far away are the other doors in the house? You could change just this one, then save the old door in case you ever want to go back

Lisa Chappa thanked richfield95
  • Lisa Chappa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is the whole wall. Sorry for the trunk. Still moving things in.

• Lisa Chappa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is the front door which I love.

• Lisa Chappa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And the view to the right. The bathroom has a pocket door.

• richfield95
    4 years ago

Your front door is nice! i think you could change the closet to a 6 panel door and stain it to match the front door. If you’re handy (and in the US) Home Depot and Lowe’s sell unfinished doors.

Depending on what else you have going on in your home, you might be able to paint that wall an “accent” color. Plus replace the switches and cover. (I have in set of switches where I replaced the cover then painted the switches white because my husband kept putting off changing the switches)

Lisa Chappa thanked richfield95
  • Lisa Chappa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I would love another focal point to take some attention off the door. Do you think something next to the door? Or perhaps a large vase and dry arrangement on the floor? Maybe an entry rug would be enough?

• Juli
    4 years ago

Maybe you could take out the cupboards in the hall and open it up to make that the coat closet? You'd have a door there, and then you could frame and drywall the current

closet door opening closed for your foyer wall.

Lisa Chappa thanked Juli
  • partim
    4 years ago

A colorful entry rug is a good idea. Coordinate the color with wall art to the right of the door, so decide on the art first, then buy the rug.

• GBel26
    3 years ago

What if you put a "door mural" on it as artwork when you enter?

https://www.amazon.com/slp/door-murals/vohs63ubk65p8hj