Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

Did You Have A Baby Shower?

No, I never had a baby shower. For my babies before they came I sewed their layette. My first two were a year and ten days apart, then the next was four years later. The fourth was 14 years later. So for some they got more made than if they were born closer together. But no, baby shower was ever given. How about you?

Sue

Comments (20)

• Judy Good
    4 years ago

Yes, I had one. It was after she was born since she came 7 weeks early and weighed 2.2 pounds. I received lots of preemie and newborn clothes! It was very nice of everyone.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Judy Good
  • User
    4 years ago

Yes, I had three -- one at work and one for the relatives and one for the wives of where my DH worked. Got a lot of much needed stuff although all that long ago the stuff wasn't as pricey as it is now!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked User
  • lucillle
    4 years ago

Yes. The showers were fun, the items my friends gave very helpful. My first ex MIL gave me a beautiful baby bed. I still have the decorations from the cake from my first shower.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked lucillle
  • KATHY
    4 years ago

No baby showers for my 2

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked KATHY
  • marilyn_c
    4 years ago

I was married 15 years when my only child, a daughter, was born. My high school friends were so happy that I finally was having a baby, that they gave me a big shower. I had told them I was going to breast feed and the baby would sleep with me ... they said I would change my mind. I didn't. So I took the bottles and the beautiful crib back to Foley's, a department store that used to be in Houston, and exchanged it for clothes for her. I didn't have to buy any clothes for her until she was 3 years old.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked marilyn_c
  • functionthenlook
    4 years ago

Yes, my aunt made me a Charlie Chip can full of chruichiki cookies. My most favorite cookie.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked functionthenlook
  • ghoghunter
    4 years ago

Yes I had a baby shower before my first baby! We also had a "Baby bag" of gently used baby items we shared among my first cousins as each of us had our babies. They are some of my fondest memories!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked ghoghunter
  • nickel_kg
    4 years ago

Yes, one at my work and one at DH's work. Lots of cute baby clothes & infant toys.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked nickel_kg
  • nhbaskets
    4 years ago

One for my one son. Everyone showed up at our condo carrying gifts, food and balloons. Surprise! Glad the house was clean!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked nhbaskets
  • jojoco
    4 years ago

Four kids,four showers. Me and my friends would use any excuse to throw a party.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked jojoco
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

My friends threw showers for all four of my pregnancies as well. I've heard you should only have a shower for your first, but apparently my girlfriends didn't get the memo. Like jojoco, my group looks for the slightest excuse to throw a party. We didn't play any silly games, just a fairly typical brunch type get together, albeit with a theme and presents.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

I hate baby showers! None for me, and my DD feeling the same way, none for her, either!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Anglophilia
  • maxmom96
    4 years ago

I had a unique one. I was working in Detroit and living in Ann Arbor and took the New York Central train that ran between Chicao and NYC, which came through Ann Arbor at just the right time to get me to work. One of the other commuters worked in the art department at J. L. Hudson department store and planned a lovely surprise shower in the bar car of the train going home. More men than women, but lots of fun. Just the other day I found the large tri fold card she drew with me on the front in my favorite maternity dress, and inside she drew a head on picture of the front end of the engine with drawings of each commuter hanging from the front, all signed of course. They bought me as lovely layette. Even one of the bar car attendants slipped me a bottle of Johnny Walker Red from the train after I slit. One of the best hours I've ever had. Great party.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked maxmom96
  • amylou321
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

No babies so no shower,although i would never allow one if I did have a baby. Last month,I picked up my birth control pills on my birthday, and the girl behind the counter at the pharmacy gave me a piece of candy. That's probably the closest I'll get.

I have a standard gift for baby showers, which I dislike. I won't attend,but I will send a big box of size 5 diapers,a big box of wipes, and an assortment of baby soap,shampoo,bubble bath, the vapor bath stuff,stuff like that. And I grumble the whole time.....

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked amylou321
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

I love buying baby gifts. It's such a joy to be a part of welcoming a new little one into the world. Picking up miniature clothing, cute toys and classic story books is a treat for me. No need for a shower, of course. I send gifts when the baby is born, regardless of a shower.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • sjerin
    4 years ago

I haven't been to a baby shower in many years, though our niece in another state just had one. I'm always happy to attend such parties since there's a lot of joy involved! I was lucky to be given a shower for each kid and though I hated being the center of attention, I appreciated the friendship and the gifts very much.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked sjerin
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

My wife said that she had two for each kid, at the insistence of family and friends. One where we live, one at home town. After the first kid, subsequent showers were "No Gifts Please" and, she said, they were simply an excuse for a happy ladies luncheon to celebrate the coming babies.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • dedtired
    4 years ago

No. With the first one I was living away from family and did not have the kind of friends who would do that. With the second one, my then husband had graduated from professional school a few months before so all our friends from school had moved away , so again no friends to organize it. I was so disappointed because I had been to at least a dozen baby showers while husband was in school and spent plenty of money on gifts. My life is one long story of bad timing!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked dedtired
  • sheilajoyce_gw
    4 years ago

I was always new in town, so no showers. But I did knit and crochet things for our babies.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked sheilajoyce_gw