Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theroseaddict

body bag count ....

Uggh imma have a little pot ghetto so I been expirementing ... my list of roses found and bought at walmart ......

Lavender crush 2x
Tournament of Roses
Royal America
St tropez
Meredith ht

Oh and tsc had gold medal so yeah ....

What have you guys found ????

Comments (168)

• verdantcroft
    4 years ago

I was just going to try roses again with a couple of body bags, but I bet you can guess how that's gone, LOL. So far I've acquired bare root Gene Boener from Lowe's (contemplating whether to go back and get Chicago Peace, which will require black spot protection, but looks so amazing it might be worth it), then body bag plants of Dancing in the Dark, Lavender Crush, Medallion and Sally Holmes from Walmart. (I should probably have also gotten Alfred Silsley - except that I'm the odd man out on this forum in that bloom colors in stripes and splotches just don't really appeal to me - and also Miss All American Beauty, but....vivid, shocking pink???? Um, I'm still thinking about that.) Then at Ollie's (of all places!) I scored Just Joey and Touch of Class, which are soaking now and will be planted in the morning.

Visions of blossoms dancing in my head!! I so hope these body bags work out.

• 111plisa su
    4 years ago

Has anyone grown Maria Calais or ms all American beauty- HMF has great reviews from people growing it in hot, dry areas. But people growing it in humid south have negative reviews. Anybody in the south growing it.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

The worst thing about this isolation is I don't feel I should go scrounging through the body bags at Menards.... but one of the stores north of me has 592 in this week. I just KNOW they must have at least one Caldwell Pink! :-((

• Dave5bWY
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Wow, nice Ben! That’s what I am looking for!

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    4 years ago

Kenneth, thank you for the post about Costco has Maurice Ultrillo. I got the bare root from Regan in Jan but it is a sleeping beauty and never wakes up. Regan is very nice and did the refund right away. They offered me a chance to use my $26 bare root credit toward a potted Maurice Ultrillo for $49.99, but I figured I can order Maurice Ultrillo somewhere else at a lower price. I ordered 2-pack Maurice Ultrillo from Costco for $32.99 ($16.50/rose). Helen

• Kenneth zone 7A - Southern Middle TN
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yesss Helen thats how you do it !!! Us rose addict have to save a coin too

4 years ago

Can one order from Costco if one isn't a member? Does anyone know? If not I'll look into it.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    4 years ago

No, you have to be a member.

Original Author
    4 years ago

I ordered without being a member they charge you like 2 bucks extra . But whats 2 bucks ? When your roses aren coming directly from certified roses .

• erasmus_gw
    4 years ago

I ended up buying a Miss All American Beauty and a Cl. Angel Face from Walmart. They are looking good so far in their pots. I saved the packaging and receipt in case they are mislabeled.

111plisa, I am in NC and used to grow Miss AAB . It was a great plant, very shrubby, often covered in big, fragrant blooms, but my plant did get some blackspot and later got botrytis. It's worth trying again.

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    4 years ago

Vaporvac the Menards by me had a bunch of Caldwell Pink and The Fairy too! Keep looking!

• Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
    4 years ago

Last year my Menards had the Fairy, Sally Holmes (which was definitely NOT Sally holmes) Belinda’s Dream, Morden Centennial, and a lot of other classics. All but “Sally” were true to name and have done very well for me.

This year they mostly carried old HT’s like Miss AAB and Mister Lincoln. I did find Lavender Crush and Moonlight in a Paris, though! Happy about that.

Original Author
    4 years ago

The rose gods are so good i wanted beautiful day and found it at lowes for 14.98

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    4 years ago

What a great find, Kenneth. Does Beautiful Day have a good scent? I bought mine bare root, just starting to get out of dormancy.

Original Author
    4 years ago

The bud is about to open once it does ill report i wanna let her bloom before planting as i cut off all buds so rose can focus on root growth vs blooming

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 years ago

And this is how enabling happens

4 years ago

Kenneth,

Here’s where we differ. I‘d definitely smell the plant with the bloom, before I bought the other one with the buds.

Also, if a new plant has a bud, no way on earth would I cut it off so the plant can focus on growth. I MUST see that first bloom.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    4 years ago

Kenneth, that is beautiful!! I saw this in a 3 gallon pot at Chamblees but it wasnt blooming. Wish I had bought it now. Was at Lowes this afternoon - they didnt have it. Will have to have "just this one more". Found out that Canton and the Nacogdoches flea market will not be held - this is where a few vendors bring beautiful potted roses for $10 and I was SO looking forward to seeing what they had! My Chicago Peace has 2 gorgeous blooms today - that rose is hard to beat and will be one I will always have. Happy First Day of Spring everyone!!

Judith

4 years ago

Hard to "like" that, Judith. : (( Happy spring to you! Lowe's doesn't have roses yet. I'd go to Menard's, but don't want to risk it. I guess I'll wait until next year. i wanted CP/PP for a friend, but perhaps his store will get more in or I'll take cuttings. They root well and quickly.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    4 years ago

Not body bags, but I got mulch from Lowe's yesterday and they had a whole cart of The Poet's Wife.

No other DAs, just that one.

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    4 years ago

This is my first time ordering roses online from Costco, and it has been good so far. From what I understand in this case Costco provides online services where their customers can place plant orders, then Costco forwards those orders to the appropriated vendors (Certified Roses), and these vendors will ship the roses.

I placed an order for 2-pack Maurice Ultrillo on 3/17 with 3-5 days shipping included in the price. The order was shipped on 3/20 via UPS and expected to arrive in California on 3/25 (5 days). Helen

Original Author
    4 years ago

Baya yup thats who fulfills the order .my shirleys were amazing

4 years ago

I just wish they carried a few more varieties! Great resource though. @Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks), did you ever figure out what rose you had instead of Sally Holmes? I bought one for a friend so I'm hoping they're correct this year. What does yours look like? Do you have any pictures? Thanks in advance. : )

Original Author
    4 years ago

I got two sally holmes for 10 bucks 🤩 i got connections 💅🏽💅🏽

4 years ago

Those look like some healthy canes

4 years ago

Vap, I wasn’t able to figure out the variety. Very healthy and vigorous, though! It was a coral/pink semi double with yellow in the inner petals. I’ll see if I can dig up a pic. :)

4 years ago

Any ideas? Lol. :) The canes are a beautiful reddish color in winter. It gradually grew on me, so I’ll keep it for now. still disappointed I don’t have Sally, though.

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    4 years ago

My stores haven't even started stocking their plants yet, do you all have good luck with the body bags so to speak. They are such a deal but are they worth the effort? Just curious cause of course i need to spend more money (NOT)🤣

Original Author
    4 years ago

What ???? I have had 99% success these all here are body bags from last year .

4 years ago

Thanks for the picture. Dilly, I don't know the answer. Maybe Carefree something! LOL! I think a new thread would help identify it. I have a feeling it's something most people would know.

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    4 years ago

Your climate is much better than mine Kenneth, but maybe I'll have to try my luck when my stores finally get their stock in.

4 years ago

Just get them as soon as they come in before they dry out.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    4 years ago

I have reused the thicker ones, but the ones onside the body bags, I have never successfully gotten off in one piece.(I know they say to plant them whole, but when I try, they just seem to dry out and suck all the water out of the roots and the roots DON'T grow through as claimed. So I take them off before planting)
    Carla in Sac

4 years ago

Oh yes. I had one in a cardboard box and used a serrated knock to cut the roots going around as I do for all my potted roses. Then it just pops out. I also didn't trust it to grow as claimed and what's a small extra step?

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    4 years ago

Dirt Digger, I think the success of body bags depend on how soon you get them after they are in the stores. If you get them immediately after the stores received them, they behave like regular bare root roses with shorter roots. However, if they have been in the stores for a while, being dried out and neglected, then the term "body bags" will applied to them.

It's the same with bare root roses. I have bought some Wayside Gardens and Jackson Perkins on sale roses around May, and they behaved like body bags and need a lot of TLC to recover. Some of them just died and never recovered. Helen

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    4 years ago

I was at Walmart in my area yesterday and they finally received their body bags.

Unfortunately the majority of them have already broke dormancy ( three to four inches new growth) and it's really still to cold to plant here.

We just had three inches of snow monday so im sure they would just go into shock.

Luckily the only ones they had that were tempting me were don juan, America, and white dawn. Since I currently have no space for another climber it was easy to tell myself NO lol.

They always seem to jump the gun here, I usually can't safely do spring planting till the end of April.

Oh well maybe next year.

Thanks everyone for the advice, happy gardening.

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    4 years ago

I received the Costco roses today (2 Maurice Ultrillo). The roses were shipped from Certified Roses. They packed the roses nicely. However, one of the roses has a vertical big crack in the grafted body (last pic).

I asked myself the same question every time I see someone receives a rose like that through the mail. Whoever packed the rose with a big crack in the grafted body, didn’t they think it's a waste of time and money to ship the rose? When there's a big crack like that in the grafted body, the bacteria will access the body and kill the plant later. Now the buyer has to contact the rose vendor, and the rose vendor has to send another rose with the additional cost of shipping. Why not just skip that step and ship a rose without that obviously problem in the first place? Overall, I'll give my Costco rose experience a B. Helen

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    4 years ago

Oh thats to bad Helen, what a pain in the neck. There's no way someone did not notice that. Hopefully they can get a replacement out to you quickly.

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    4 years ago

Dirt, with the coronavirus virus going on and the shelter in place in my area, I think I’ll just skip the whole returning thing and not stress out about it. Since the package has 2 Maurice Ultrillo, I think I’ll be OK with one good Maurice Ultrillo instead of two :) Helen

4 years ago

I doubt you'd have to return it. They'd just send you another as they should. Otherwise they'll just keep doing it to someone else. That was quick delivery!

• sautesmom Sacramento
    4 years ago

Can you just cut it into two? Would that solve the bacteria problem after the cut heals?

4 years ago

Agree with Vap. If there’s a customer support website you could just send them of pic of cracked Maurice and they should send you another. Somebody at the packing station didn’t get their morning coffee.

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    4 years ago

Who knows they may just send you another pack of two as replacement, then you'll have three 🤣.

Not that one isn't enough, but even though it was a good price, you paid for a pack of two. They should at least credit you fifty percent!

Original Author
    4 years ago

I know a person at certified roses im going to ask ...

Original Author
    4 years ago

There going to resend you another package like dirt digger said and you will have 3 roses i personally would put that crack one in a ugly pot and enjoy its bloom lol

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone. I went to Certified Roses website and submitted a form mentioned the problem. If they send me a replacement rose, great. If not, it's no big deal. Helen

4 years ago

It makes you wonder who the heck is packing the roses .Maybe with the stay at home order they are short handed and had to put the janitor on Double duty packing roses

Original Author
    4 years ago

Body bag updates .. all of them are leafing out . Below : Meredith

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    4 years ago

mine doesn’t look as nice as yours!