Software
Houzz Logo Print
alana8asc

Rose canes , what's wrong?

6 years ago

Can you tell me what is on these canes. I think the white bark is just old canes. The white spots and others not sure of. Thanks!

Comments (10)

  • 6 years ago








  • 6 years ago

    The purple blotches look disturbingly like Downy Mildew?

    Alana8aSC thanked jerijen
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    The only thing is I'm having no leaf issues or leaf drop. The best I can come up with was scale and a type of canker. But I don't know never having dealt with any. I was looking at downy mildew too, but it said it started with leafs? So does it just be in the stems? It has been wet and cold and/ or chilly. So I need to use insecticidal soap? Will that take care of everything? Do i need to cut the whole bush down and spray? I really need guidance. First rabbits, now this..o well, not stopping me yet.

  • 6 years ago

    No. I think you would also see it in the leaves. But in that case, I dunno what it is.


    Alana8aSC thanked jerijen
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Ok did more reading. So I read somewhere leaf symptoms are advanced symptoms. So I'm going to treat it as such. After bloom, since Ive done took most of the canes anyway. After bloom, I will trim it to mext to nothing. Get rid of all I cut off, and spray with copper fungicide. Think that will work?

    Any idea on white spot?

    Maybe I'll have time to spray some copper fungicide tomorrow too. We are supposed to have rain for the next week.


    At any rate, even if it's not that ,I'm sure thr CF won't hurt, right?

  • 6 years ago

    Anthracnose?

    Alana8aSC thanked K S 7a Yakima
  • 6 years ago

    Use and oil spray? I've read it is good for scale if that is what you have. Otherwise I have no suggestions except possibly copper.

    Alana8aSC thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I've done horticultural oil. Twice. Would that have helped if it was scale? Ok so I think I will just cut out the blotched canes and spray with copper. If it's anthracnose, or Downy it should work for both, correct? Also I sealed cuts with fingernail polish, because I have found borers for the first time, this year. That should work right?

  • 6 years ago

    It's not scale then. Its probably from all this rain and cold weather. I'll get some freh manure. There is actually some horse pens behind my house, two feilds down and will try that. I forgot about the horse manure. I read that post and forgot about it, so many thanks for reminding me!