vanessa_martin94

Help picking color scheme

Vanessa Martin

I just had my whole upstairs tiled with faux walnut tile and now I’m trying to decide what colors to paint everything. I am keeping the wall behind the wine bar the dark sort of burgundy color - should I paint the wall above the window seat the same color? I just started painting the door black but I don’t like it so I am thinking of some lighter options. I will install new baseboards and paint the door trim/casing white I think? And I’m thinking of painting the tile on the window seat to the left solid white.. But please throw out any color suggestions! I am really stuck on what color the door should be. Then I need to decide if and what to paint the rest of the walls on the left which extend down the hallway. And also what artwork to put on the wall to the left?? I have a large ikea picture frame sitting there because I was thinking of putting two of those there side by side (one can cover up that ugly circle plate on the wall). I’d looove any ideas and suggestions!!

• Vanessa Martin

Or black? Hmmmm🤔 I’m thinking of doing a lighter cream colored rug... the idea of a muted lime green rug has also crossed my mind.. Cream rug with brown couches? Green rug with gray couches? Beige rug with white couches? What do you guys like?

Jodie White Designs

Are you going to use this space as a wine tasting area? If so no to the cream lighter rug. What and how many people will use this space?

• Vanessa Martin

It will mainly just be used when friends visit for sitting down to chat and play games.. but yes people would be drinking beer or wine or whatnot so there is always the chance for spills.. my least favorite colors are reds and purples so I was trying to avoid a rug of that color.

Jodie White Designs

HMMM, is your wall in the purple family? I thought you loved eggplant colors. lol

Jodie White Designs

The loveseats are not my favorite. Those loveseats would probably seat comfortably one person. Most people like their space. Have you found anything else you like?

• Vanessa Martin

Lol I guess it may be but it really looks more brown/burgundy to me in person than eggplant/purply.

Jodie White Designs

What is the name of the paint?

• Vanessa Martin

They were just the largest size loveseat I thought could reasonably fit in that arrangement without the area looking overly cluttered.. a few people in the reviews did note that they can fit 2 people (although a tighter fit I’m sure).. I just feel like the space will actually get used more being set up this way rather than having just 1 armchair on each side. And usually my guests would be with a significant other who they’d like sitting next to.. I must have searched online for hours yesterday and any other loveseats of that size I felt looked even dinkier! Haha I should also note that I’m vegan so any rugs or furniture need to not be made from animal products. I’ll keep searching and post any other options I find.

• Vanessa Martin

The paint is Bold Brandy by PPG Paints.

• Vanessa Martin

https://www.amazon.com/Pulaski-DS-2185-400-Anthracite-Upholstered-Entryway/dp/B00U433U64/ref=mp_s_a_1_16?keywords=52%2Bloveseat&qid=1582043093&sprefix=52%E2%80%9D%2Blove&sr=8-16&th=1&psc=1

I’ve found a few loveseats like this one as well. Overall though I’m not sure if gray ends up looking slightly disjointed since there are so many brown tones in the area? I just haven’t found a color that I feel like “THAT’S IT” so I’m not sure if it even matches or if that’s just my indecisiveness. Lol

• Vanessa Martin

Maybe something like this is another option. I could have some smaller stools or something nearby in case people wanted to pull them up for games so we’re not all sitting in a straight line.. (and I just did some photoshopping to experiment with a dark teal rug)

Jodie White Designs

Not liking the teal. Measure the area where furniture is going. You could do what I originally posted in the thread of four chairs in a circle with coffee table. Chairs can even be divided into two and two and not match. Making this room fun is what it is all about as well as function for your family.

Jodie White Designs

Browns seem to work well.

Vanessa Martin thanked Jodie White Designs
    Jodie White Designs

This could work with the right rug and other furnishings.

• Vanessa Martin

The furniture area is 9’4” x 52” and that’s at the very most, in order to still leave room to walk past.. I liked the 4 chair idea but there really isn’t room for 4 of them there. Those idea boards are more up my alley, I’m liking the more neutral with the different shades of browns (maybe a pop of color somewhere). Maybe a brown faux leather couch with another brown tone accent chair will be a good option. One last question - would you still use two different rugs with one underneath the bar area and the larger maybe 5x8 rug for the seating area?

• Vanessa Martin

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdx/foundstone-lindsey-81-square-arms-sofa-w000399964.html

I’m loving this couch right now.. and then maybe I can throw another lighter brown accent chair closer to the railing in front of the dart board.

Jodie White Designs

Draw the space with measurements up to the bar.

Jodie White Designs

One rug but you can layer two for a nice aesthetic look.

Jodie White Designs

Painters tape for the measurements of furnishings on flooring is a good way to visualize the space.

• Vanessa Martin

Hope my drawing is ok. 😂 The window seat dips in about a foot so the total room width measurement is slightly more than when you add up the other 3 (if that makes sense). Would you layer the bar area rug on top of the main rug or vice versa?

Jodie White Designs

Yes. Is the 52" the measurement between end of bar and front railing? The only number missing.

Jodie White Designs

Oh and PS FYI. we all see color differently. My blue and your blue could be interpreted very different. Color theory is very interesting.

• Vanessa Martin

Oops I forgot a dimension. It is 113” from the wall behind the bar out to the railing, with the bar sticking out about 30” of that.

• Vanessa Martin

https://www.houzz.com/products/leather-arm-sofa-brown-prvw-vr~104454005

I’m really liking that couch too as long as I can confirm that it’s not stuffed with down.

• drewbiedoesit

Wow looks good so far cant wait to see the finished design!

Jodie White Designs

It is too big. Place painters tape on floor to see placement so you can visually see arrangement.

• Vanessa Martin

Ok thanks👍🏼

Jodie White Designs

What about using benches or stools for seating? Are you open to this idea? If so tonight I can show you ideas. Plus, your window seating provides extra seating.

• Vanessa Martin

Yes I’m open to anything! I’m even open to getting rid of my current stools if they don’t match.

• wsea

Those first loveseats you selected don’t look particularly comfortable. Would you consider 4 chairs with a round coffee table ? If you angle them from the railing I suspect they’d fit nicely.

Jodie White Designs

A bench at railing and two smaller poufs or stools flanking bench. Rug to anchor space. New Barstools to coordinate. Rough idea . Seating and footstools depending on how many guests. Even thought a round ottoman with small stools for seating would work. Once you decide seating, coffee table for games. Is it board games you play? If so what about a table and chairs? Your wall color is really growing on me. LOL

• Vanessa Martin

Lol it grew on me a lot more too after I painted the door! :D We usually just play some dumb card game but it’d be cool to have an area that works for board games too. I do like the bench/stool idea because it fits well in the space but I think I like the idea of a comfy couch more.. I‘d like to find one similar to the last one I found but with a smaller footprint if possible, so I need to do some more searching. What size rug would you recommend for this space?

Jodie White Designs

Sofa is only going to fit at railing as length is good but not much room in depth from sofa to your barstools. Any of these appeal to you? Stools for many uses and takes up little space. Resting your feet, placing a drink or game on top and movable.

• Vanessa Martin

Yes I like the sofa on the bottom right a lot. Stools do sound super useful for the space. I’d love to have a small storage ottoman too maybe.. hopefully will have time to search online tonight or tomorrow for furniture. Thank you once again!!

• dianabythelocks

Just a thought - if the bar stools weren't there, would there be room for the sofa and 2 small chairs, or 4 chairs around a small ottoman? For myself, I would prefer sitting in a chair/sofa, But I guess it depends on how many people might be there at any one time. Good luck!

• dianabythelocks

I just looked at your window seat, & wondered if there would be room for 2 people there and 2 chairs around a small table to set glasses. Is access to the door important? You could still have a couple of comfy chairs (angled toward each other) and a small table by the rail.

• Vanessa Martin

Hmmm the bar stools don’t take up a ton of room themselves because they pretty much can slide in under the bar.. I’d have to play around with the idea with some tape on the floor. And I agree about the chair/sofa.. I def want to make sure the furniture is comfy so people will actually want to use it.

• Vanessa Martin

Oh for some reason I didn’t realize you posted a second comment earlier - sorry!! So I have wondered if I could utilize the window seat area more but I always thought it would look awkward having a table or something in front of the door.. although the door really doesn’t get used much (guest bedroom) so it’s not entirely out of the question.🤔

• Vanessa Martin

Hm well putting painter’s tape down was a great idea.. I have come to the conclusion that no furniture will fit in this space. 😂 Just kidding, but it really makes me think I need to look into smaller furniture options so the space doesn’t look crowded. I’m not sure that any sofa is going to fit.. a bench is looking like a better option after all.. I had an idea of getting two benches and placing them in the circled areas - would that be too much? Then there’d be room for a small ottoman/coffee table in front of the bench in the main area. Maybe an accent chair or two can sit to the right near the railing. All the furniture would be pretty lightweight and easy to move around for use.. Thoughts on these bar stools? They swivel and have adjustable height.

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/foundry-select-bourgoin-faux-leather-bench-w000074486.html

• everdebz

You like black, and metal of railing is black? a try -- 2 of these, and have them face each other, also parallel -- the right rug would 'tie them in a grouping' -- ?!

https://www.houzz.com/products/gdf-studio-sophia-mid-century-modern-fabric-chaise-lounge-muted-dark-gray-prvw-vr~114753037

Vanessa Martin thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
  • everdebz

Trying to combine style/color for scrolls in railing, and brandy, and silver/pewter stools... so this has traditional something about it, but fairly neutral for accessories... ?

Oriental Weavers Sphinx Adrienne 4145E Damask Rug, Multi/Multi, 6'7" x 9'6" · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/oriental-weavers-sphinx-adrienne-4145e-damask-rug-multi-multi-6-7-x-9-6-prvw-vr~51552219

• Jodie White

That was the plan so you could see how small that space is for the furniture pieces you were choosing. The window seating are great options for additional seating and can be quite cozy. Google images to see all the options. Cushion and pillows can be very inviting.

Vanessa Martin thanked Jodie White
  • Vanessa Martin

Thanks so much to everyone for all the ideas and input. I think soon I will be ready to go ahead and order the furniture.. and then post pics! 😬

• Vanessa Martin

Just a little update on the room as I’ve been adding some things.. Still need to figure out rugs & window treatments (color suggestions for windows?).. Need to get baseboards.. want to paint the window seat & add cushions.. and decide on what to do for end tables by the bench? The black mirrored one is just one that I had - could get another matching or maybe some wood/glass ones would be better.🧐

• dianabythelocks

It looks like you had enough room after all. Good job so far.

• Vanessa Martin

Thank you!! Yeah the bench fits nicely.. I think a sofa like I originally wanted would’ve been too much. I’m still debating on buying a 2nd barrel chair to arrange somehow.