FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

mxk3

What are you looking forward to this year?

mxk3

In terms of your garden. For me, most of all it will be having the time to enjoy the new perennial border I created last season. I put *so much work* into that border - my entire spring vacation and then some was spent on the initial planting, then pretty much every weekend it was planting new things I bought during the week or tinkering/re-arranging things because they weren't quite right. All.summer.long. And into the fall. Right up until the first snow I was doing this that or the other. So this year, I have a handful of additions/changes, but for the most part I just really want to observe and enjoy it and not bother with any serious tinkering until the fall. Now, whether this is actually achievable or now I don't know -- because I just can't seem to let things be... LOL! But there certainly isn't the pressure (all self-imposed...) that there was last year.

I'm also looking forward to the fruits and vegetables -- eating food fresh from the garden is such a joy (especially perfectly ripe melons!!). I'm still working my way through last year's butternut bounty :0)

In terms of plants, I'm looking forward to seeing my newly planted trees and shrubs bloom this spring -- serviceberry, kousa dogwood, and the Korenspice and Burkwood virburnums. These are all things I've never grown before; I'm big on fragrance and have heard the scent of the virburnums is out of this world (and they're under the bedroom window = bonus). Also, the spigellia (Indian Pinks); saw a pic in a magazine yesterday and reminded me I have them, now I'm eagerly awaiting their bloom, along with "Pritchard's Variety" campanula that will arrive this spring and campanula glomerate (<-- why does this keep changing to an "e") that I planted last summer post-bloom.

• chouchou_gw

My clematis vines! This will be their third season in my garden so I'm expecting them to leap! I also can't wait to shop for more clematis.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa

mxk3- I'm excite for you. Sounds like an exciting year compared to just thinking about all the work which needs to be done, seeing the payoff is a complete plus!

Right now I'm just looking forward to spring!

...and a few hundred plants of course :)

and some new magnolias which I don't have room for

• oursteelers 8B PNW

The clematis are high on my list also. They’ve been SO slow but are in their third year too, at least most of them. Look much better this season than last so I have a tone of hope they will be a bit more “extravagant“ this year!

I always look forward to my giant red trillium. I have lugged it around to multiple gardens, including a period of time when the entire chunk resided at a friend's after I sold my house and garden. Multiple shoots are appearing above ground so it won't be long now :-)

Otherwise, it is just a matter of enjoying some maturing and substance of what is a relatively 'new' garden....only in its 4th season.

• harold100

I'm looking forward to my daylilies. For the first 5 years they were shaded until 2 PM due to a very large 60 year old maple. The tree was removed in Sept. due to rot. So hoping the blooms can be more abundant and the fans multiply.

• Faith

I’m hopeful that my vines will finally fill in this year. I have this tunnel between my raised beds made from hog panel trellises and I’ve planted grapes, roses, trumpet vine, silver lace vine, clematis, and more. Last year was the 3rd year for most of them and they mostly were still in the “creeping” phase, so I’m hoping that this is the year that everything “leaps” and it turns into the living tunnel I’ve been imagining. Here it was last summer; imagine it filled in:

I’ve also been trying to grow living willow archways into my sandbox/fire pit area for several years. I’ve discovered tgat Colorado is a very challenging climate for growing willow structures, but I finally have a couple of plants big enough to set up some supporting arches for them. No photos yet (it’s cold and snowy out right now) but I’m hopeful that they’ll also fill in this year and be super cool.

I also have given up on waiting for the grape vine to cover my pergola, and planted a hops plant that a friend gave me. I don’t mind pulling it up eventually if the grapes pull through, and I’m hopeful for a shady pergola this summer!

Once the trumpet vine and silver lace vine get going you won't need anything else!

• mxk3

Faith -- that is so cool Wow!

• cooper8828

I have some third year trees and shrubs this year also. Since it is literally a leap year, I have my fingers crossed.

• beesneeds

I'm not sure. I planted in heaps of new stuff last year, and some stuff is finally coming into lush growth this year. I guess looking forward to everything coming up this year, I hope.

Lol!! The 3 year "sleep, creep and leap" scenario does not really apply to woody plants (trees and shrubs). They can take much long than 3 growing seasons to develop and come into their own!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA

I'm looking forward to my front bed that I started reworking the fall before last. I changed directions to some extent. I had lilies that were overcrowded that it was time to dig up and replant. I took that opportunity to buy a few more varieties and added those. I added three shrubs in a bed that previously was all perennials and grasses. Two Dwarf Hydrangea Little Lime and a dwarf Hibiscus. I added three new rose bushes last spring, so this will be their second year. I kept the edges of the bed about the same, with grasses and chrysanthemums and a couple of asters. Two falls ago I added more spring bulbs that looked sparse in their first year last spring. Everything looked a little sparse last year, but promising.

I'm looking forward to it because it will require the least amount of work for the biggest bang this year. There are plenty of spots that need a lot more work that I'm not particularly looking forward to. [g]

• Jeff Singleton

I'm looking forward to our 3 clusters of "Brownie Points" Baptisia that we planted last year. The flowers were beautiful and the foliage lasted long into the fall before we cut them back. I hear that they are very hardy....I hope that is true.

• docmom_gw

I am looking forward to starting a complete conversion of my newly purchased 2.3 acres into wildlife/pollinator habitat. I have about 70 pots of wintersown native perennials outside, and I just placed an order for $350 worth of native shrubs and trees. I will be embellishing the perennial seedlings with annual zinnias, tithonia, calendula, sunflowers and allysum this season. But, I first need to create the beds and put up fencing to protect against deer/rabbit damage. And even that has to wait until the snow melts and the ground thaws. So, I am itching for spring.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Ok, well now I’M waiting for Faith’s living tunnel. That is gonna be wonderful!!!!

• djacobz568sewi

I created a large sun bed last fall and now I have to plant it! Looking forward to adding sun hostas and some other perennI also.

P.s. the tree has been moved out into the bed.

• rob333 (zone 7a)

It's irony, I know, but it's leap year! You know, sleep, creep, leap... I've finally had some plants in the ground long enough, it may finally look like a real garden. I didn't get to really get to work until the beginning of 2017, even though I'd been there since the end of 2015. It's getting there. Finally!!!! *I've gardened many other places, for a long time. This is a new to me house. 101 years old, but it had no garden.

• docmom_gw

Rob,

Sounds like a great project. It is fun to see plants start to reach their mature stature. Please share photos. Do you have before and after pictures?

Martha

• rob333 (zone 7a)

I do Martha. Can I remember to get them uploaded?

;)

• cecily 7A

Two years ago, we had an extremely rainy year: more than double the average annual precipitation. My bearded iris are planted in full sun on slopes or in raised beds yet I still lost about a third of them. Ninety inches of precipitation could not be overcome by good drainage LOL. After cleaning and replanting there was little bloom last year. So this year, I'm looking forward to the return of my bearded iris.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA

Cecily - that is a lot of work, digging them up and replanting. I hope it works out. I love bearded iris, but I have a completely level lot and clay soil and they don't last long for me without problems. I still have a few that are planted n an area near roots of spruce trees so it's pretty dry there a lot.

• cecily 7A

Prairiemoon, my iris are historics: in a typical year they're effortless. I'm sure they will come right back. My soil is also heavy clay but the property definitely isn't flat ;)

ETA Deer have been browsing the foliage this winter. The poor iris just can't get a break!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

I am hoping to actually spend some time in the garden. I have been dealing with a whole slew of family health issues and have pretty much lost the last two years except for a bit in the veggie garden.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA

Sorry to hear you've had more than one health issue to deal with. One is enough, but it doesn't always work that way. Hopefully things will slow down enough to allow for gardening because when time allows, gardening can help so much with the stress.