Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
candice_johnson55

gallery wall up staircase

Candice Johnson
4 years ago

I started this because I typically hate bare walls but this just isn’t coming together the way I had hoped and now I’m aggravated and just considering taking everything down and going with a bare wall. What are the pros and cons to doing a gallery wall here? Any advice on what I have or should I just do some paint going up and call it a day? TYA

Comments (25)

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

I think it looks great! What specifically don't you like?

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I like it. maybe the frames need to be more cohesive -- like all of them one color. Can you paint (or even replace) some? I envision them all black -- but that would be a big task since most are white.

• Brenda
    4 years ago

Good job! I like it!!

• ilikefriday
    4 years ago

I would not take it down. I think it looks great. If you want it to look even better, I suggest adding 2 or 3 pieces of art much larger than the pieces you have currently. Also, you have a diagonal following the staircase. I would stagger the pieces so they are in a random order going up. Another idea would be to add a couple of shapes other than squares or rectangles.

• Lucy
    4 years ago

I think it looks great too! Although excellent suggestion about painting the frames all black. That would look fantastic.

• Candice Johnson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was thinking of doing a mix of colors from my living room like blues and grays etc I’m trying to keep it light to match more of my hideous railing but also because my living room is painted a dark blue I thought I needed to lighten the place up a bit. Thanks for all the kind words tho I have to say I was waiting for some tuff love lol but it’s just me I’m never content with my own work, someone else could do it and I would adore it but I am literally my own worse critic lol

• jmm1837
    4 years ago

I'm not crazy about the cat - all the white there kind of draws the eye to it rather than allowing the eye to see the whole assemblage. I'd probably have a different frame and a darker mat. Otherwise, the gallery is great.

• lisaam
    4 years ago

I would keep it and add a bit more when you find something special. The teal frames look really pretty. I understand about the reason for white but like the deeper colored frames.

• lisaam
    4 years ago

The cat doesn't 'fit' but he really draws you in and up.

• PRO
    MDLN
    4 years ago

Maybe swap kitty pic with the upper one, at top of stairs???

• calidesign
    4 years ago

When I saw your dilemma about a "gallery wall" I cringed because they are usually not done well. But after seeing the photo, I think you've done a good job! Nice use of color and different subjects. You generally want the middle of the groupings to be at eye level as you go up or down the stairs. Your art gets closer and closer to the stairs as it goes up the stairs. I would lower the first two pieces (with the cat) by a few inches, and raise the ones near the top of the stairs, so they remain at eye level.

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

I adore kitty. Please don't move him!

• Anita
    4 years ago

I think you need to match the slope of the rise with the slope of the stairway. Notice how the pictures rise with the stairs in the picture Milan shared.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

cat haters. I think it looks good. agree that if all the frames were the same and more of a flat style like the far lower left, it would look better. doesn't matter what color you pick, just make them all the same. and keeping away from all smaller types of frames would be best. that's why I like the cat pic. he's big

although, this one looks cool.

• Carolae
    4 years ago

I think it looks great too! Just lower the cat and the one above it a few inches, as already suggested. Love the smiling kitty :)

• chispa
    4 years ago

Add more and do that whole wall as a gallery.

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

Not a fan of the cat picture either. There is too much white space in the picture compared to the others.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

too much white space compared to the others w/no pictures in them, just the wrapping from the frame?? ! lol

I can't believe so many people hate the cat.

candace, throw a dog or cow picture in the mix. personally I wouldn't do the tree pictures. bring in pictures w/white space like the cat and pineapple. then keep one of two of the multi-colored ones.

• grapefruit1_ar
    4 years ago

I think it looks great , especially because the frames have different colors.

• hemina
    4 years ago

It looks great-don’t try to match the color...looks so much better mixed. Do you want to come over and work on mine?

• tatts
    4 years ago

First things first...Why is the Brooklyn Bridge hung sideways???

Then...Why are there pictures at knee height? Literally. The top frame of the bottom row is no more than 20" above the stair that it's next to.

Take out the bottom 7 frames and put some of them above the remaining ones. Ditch the tiny ones.

I would never put frames with glass along a stair (and especially at the bottom of a landing). Stairs are the most dangerous places to walk in a house, and all it takes is one errant grab to stop a fall and you'll have a serious wound.

Overall, I think it's too busy, with no theme (even a loose one). It's too random, and looks like it's space fillers from a décor store. I love cats, but that just looks like a gimmick. Get some personal stuff up there.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Candice. For a small change to improve your grouping, I moved top blue tone picture to where kitty is and moved kitty to top position. I did this very rough mock up. I also put black thin frames on these two pictures. Helps bookend the arrangement without redoing everything. Galleries on stair walks are hard. So good work

• chispa
    4 years ago

I think gallery walls can be very individual and not everyone is going to like the art you picked or the way you hung them. Some will think you have too many pieces and others will think you don't have enough!

Here are some I saved over the years:

Classy and Collected · More Info

My Houzz: Rugs Define Living Spaces in a 750-Square-Foot Apartment · More Info

Collector's Items · More Info

Breakfast Point Apartment · More Info

Mary Prince Photography © 2012 Houzz · More Info

Sixteen Doors · More Info

Los Gatos Residence · More Info

• Jilly
    4 years ago

I think it looks great, I’m impressed with your work. Love the cat. Please no Cliche Cow.

I wouldn’t change anything. At least live with it for a bit after your hard work, before taking it down. Maybe it’s just a big change you need some getting used to. :)

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks