Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkayd_il5

Are you getting anxious for spring and daylilies?

jkayd_il5
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

For some reason I can't comment on the daylily forum using my phone. I am on a laptop today and we will see if I can post. I have really enjoyed the alphabet posting. Just wanted to say Thank You to Sherry doing it. I am so ready for spring and to see my daylilies again. I planted some seedling last year, most of them are a Cimarron Rose and Purify My Heart cross, so am very anxious to see if they survived the winter. I have a little trouble with Cimarron Rose and other Salters here. I don't know if I can post again however I can "like" and will be doing that. Watching and waiting from Illinois.

Comments (16)

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

jkayd_il5 Personally I am chomping at the bit . Spring can't get here soon enough . Normally this time of year we are under a couple of feet of snow ......no so this year. If we have had 2 inches of snow at any one time that has been the max and then it either has warmed up and melted that piddly little bit of snow or it has rained and melted it that way. I am seeing green spears poking out of the ground . Some of it dayliiy some of it bulbs and that is way early for us. unfortunately it is bitterly cold out there or I would be out there cleaning gardens . If it ever warms up ,I am ready .

jkayd_il5 thanked signet_gw(6b)
  • Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

I am looking forward to spring too! Daylilies started to green up a couple of weeks ago, then got some cold weather and they look pitiful now. Supposed to be sunny and in 50s today. Maybe warm enough to get out and so a little bit here and there. I saw some snow drops just blooming yesterday, and some mini iris. Won't be long before my early daffs bloom. Forever before my daylilies start though!

jkayd_il5 thanked Nancy 6b
  • shive
    4 years ago

The seedlings I'm growing inside keep me busy, but I wish it would warm up so we don't have any night temps freezing or below. I'm wanting to move some of the those seedlings outside soon.

Debra

jkayd_il5 thanked shive
  • Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

I started my daylily seeds recently, they started coming up just about a week ago, and moving fast. They always cheer me up at this time of year. I just planted in those little cell containers, and they are going to outgrow those really fast.

jkayd_il5 thanked Nancy 6b
  • shive
    4 years ago

I use large Solo cups, and the seedlings can grow in those a long time.

Debra

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    4 years ago

Nancy, we use those inserts that fit in a standard greenhouse tray--72 in a tray--and we leave them there until we plant outside in May and June. They look like they don't have enough soil and roots are popping out of the bottom, but as long as they get enough water, they do great. We try to cut that repotting step out of the equation. We did repot one batch of seedlings so far, but we started them at the beginning of December (earlier than we planned, but they were all sprouting so we had no choice). We generally start the planting of seeds at the end of January. I hope to be finished mid-March.

• Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

Nancy, do you not have problems with roots growing out the bottom and breaking off when you pop them out of the cell? Although, to tell the truth, most still seem to grow unless I am really brutal.

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    4 years ago

Occasionally I break off some roots getting them out, but they don't seem to mind. Sometimes I have to cut the cell off. So many hybridizers grow several seedlings in one pot and then break them all apart to plant them. I figure I am doing less damage than they are.

We have also grown in Ray Leach cone-tainers which are 6 inches deep and 1 inch across. Even though the seedlings have more root room, they suffer more when they go outside and it begins to get hot. Some will even go dormant. We decided that we like the 72 cell inserts better even though they are quite shallow.

We just don't have the time to repot a thousand plus daylilies. Plus the bigger the rootball, the harder they are to plant in the ground. We are growing under landscape fabric and plant in slits we cut. That just doesn't give you much working room.

• organic_kitten
    4 years ago

I am so ready for spring. I have so many new ones that will have their sleep year, but just to see their booms will be great.

kay

jkayd_il5 thanked organic_kitten
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

It's been so gloomy and overcast here this Jan and Feb. I'm just ready for the sun to come out. I swear I'm going to plop myself down on a big rock and just sun myself like a turtle on a log when it finally warms up...............Maryl

jkayd_il5 thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

Thanks you for that info Nancy! I did not pot them up last year, but did get them in the ground super early. We had that warm March, then record cold April and I lost quite a few. I had thought to repot them, but that is a lot of work.

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

in the meantime .............

(note : not my image , image found on the net )

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

lol Heather

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

I am ready for spring. However, I am sorry we didn't have any really deep freezes. Bodes ill for the bugs and weeds.

jkayd_il5 thanked Brad KY 6b
  • FastInk
    4 years ago

High anxiety pretty much need meds. I try to keep busy with other things.

jkayd_il5 thanked FastInk
Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus