Software
Houzz Logo Print
allmotor1

I am trying to identify an antique chandelier

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Home was built in 1865 or 1887(deed says 1865 but historical society said 1887) and upgraded in 1929(kitchen lined with newspaper from 1929 as a vapor barrier.) Anyone able to help identify it?










Comments (24)

  • 6 years ago

    Probably from the 1929 re do. Opaque glass shade and likely "white metal" base.....does it hold a magnet?

  • 6 years ago

    That’s a fabric shade, not glass.

  • 6 years ago

    Looks like it....but I don't believe it is.

    Let's hear from the OP.


  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    It's fabric like a curtain with liner on the inside

  • 6 years ago

    A magnet does not stick.

  • 6 years ago

    If it is fabric, then it's much newer than I first thought. Thinking perhaps 1960's or later....and most likely it's a replacement shade. The fixture itself appears to be 1925 to 35....ish.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    No...its definitely earlier then the 60's. The entire piece wasn't altered in any way.

    Sammy not yet. from these photos...you'll understand once i get involved it needs to be rewired immediately. The chain is substantial to support this weight.

  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago


    damage from the shade being removed in the past. There are a few other areas such as a couple spots needing reattaching in the metalwork. Its possible the shade fell at some point but its structurally sound and can definitely be fixed.

  • 6 years ago

    Also if you look up William S. Capern. He was a prominent home builder in the late 1800-eary 1900's in the Haddonfield NJ area. I live in his fathers home. Thomas Capern.

  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks Jinx. I'm not going to give up quite yet because of the very subtle differences but it definitely looks like it. I'll get it checked out.

  • 6 years ago

    If the shade were silk from 1929, it would be well rotted like the one in the picture. Either the fabric has been replaced or the whole shade has. I would bet the shade is not original to the fixture.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    First of all: What a cool house!!

    The shade needs to be re-lined. Judging from the photographs, I’d say it’s silk, and once silk starts to tear, that’s it. I have a pair of monumental Frederick Cooper lamps, ca. 1997, and the lining on one shade has already begun disintegrating due to sunlight.

    As far as proximity to restoration specialists is concerned, I don’t think you could live in better spot! And speaking of NJ: I and at least one other participant in this thread, lindac, are from (found that out just yesterday on a different thread). Though I no longer live there, the home my mother grew up in, which was built around the turn of the century, is still in the family. The current occupant, a retired art educator and artist himself, has done extensive work on the home.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    PLEASE be careful when handling the fixture. In fact, stop handling it—or turn off the power at the breaker panel (or the fuse box, if that’s what you have...yikes) when fiddling with it. This damaged wire is a dangerous situation:


  • 6 years ago

    Thank you and I already have. I turned on the breaker to get a look at things. The fixture either needs to come down permanantely or be rewired and put back. I do appreciate your concern.


    Also...the liner material people have mentioned as silk. I believe it is silk and it is very dry. If its hit..it will pierce it immediately. In a radiated home...its dry and no moisture.






    A few pics of our handywork. The hall was transformed. The hardwood downstairs is original.

  • 6 years ago




    same hall...same living room. Notice the hall width change.

  • 6 years ago

    What a beautiful house. Love it!

    allmotor1 thanked sheilajoyce_gw
Sponsored
More Discussions