damask_rose_5

Cold water spots or INSV?

damask_rose_5

Hello everyone! This past Valentine’s Day, my family surprised me with some plants from Hirt’s Gardens. The miniature African violets, Optimara Little Inca and Little Creek, had come extremely over watered. One wilted a day after arrival and rotted within the next two, and the same happened to the other one a couple of days after the first. I tried to repot the Little Inca when it had first wilted, and when I took it out of the pot it hardly had any roots. We asked for a replacement for the Little Inca, which they promptly sent, and it is doing fine so far. It was too late to ask for a replacement for the Little Creek. I also got my first non-Optimara and my first trailer, Rob’s Humpty Doo. This one doesn’t look quite right however. First of all, it is not true to description, I believe they sent me an all-purple sport. Second of all, the leaves are bent and wavy, and it doesn’t seem to have multiple nice rosettes, it’s more of a clump. Lastly, it’s got big yellow splotches on the leaves, and some with circular looking patterns. Is this from cold water sitting on the leaves? The circular patterns are kind of scaring me a bit, it kind of looks like INSV, but I don’t think it is. I attached some pictures below. Also, I have heard that trailers grow best in bulb pans, but I don't know what size I would need for a semi-miniature. Could you give me some advice on that as well? Thanks for your help!

Have a nice day,

damask_rose_5

P.S. - My Optimara myDelight is looking very delightful!

• YOLANDA

Hi All, I always thought that yellow spots on leaves is sunburn. I am, of course, not sure. My plants grow on windowsills. The ones growing in the south facing window all show signs of yellow spots. The sun is warm coming from the south, even though there is snow in the backyard. I do not think there is anything to do.

If anyone has any opinions, I will gladly take them.

Yolanda

damask_rose_5 thanked YOLANDA
  • damask_rose_5

Hi Yolanda! From what I understand yellow spots can be caused by a variety of things (watering with cold water, water sitting on leaves, viruses, sunburn etc.). Since it seems that only your violets in your South facing windowsill have spots, I believe that they do have sunburn. I would recommend getting small tables and setting them a foot or two away from your window to place your violets on so that the sun is less direct. I've also heard of people putting sheer curtains if they get harsh sun in their windows, but I have never tried it myself. I am no expert but I hope this helps!

Wishing you plentiful blooms and perfect rosettes,

damask_rose_5

Help with African Violet: Leaves with spots

Something has happened to the garden web site, but I will attempt the answer. Getting cold water on the leaves when watering, then exposure to sunlight, can cause spots. Too much sun can cause them. Water with too many chemicals, nematodes, etc. Try watering with warm water near the roots, and don't expose them to direct sunlight, to see if that helps. If not, you may need to sterilize the soil and pots.

Bathtub/shower door versus splash guard?

Most definitely rain glass- if you plan on selling down the road than people will by that time know and not want to clean clear glass. If you are willing to invest in a frame less shower door in upstairs "kids bath" it is a lot more functional. For the guest bath I would do the splash guard as it is more for show than for use.

Slowly killing my ficus lyrata tree. Help!

Try posting to Gardenweb.

Water damage in my father's house

Well the only real way to fix it right is to break up the floor and pour a new floor...and we did that on another project and the cement guys botched that up too...ended up with the biggest hump in the middle of the room...then we had to grind that up to try to smooth and level...really it is hard to find good help! This all comes out of our pocket, as the insurance company is only paying for new carpet. and that was the way it was for the past 50 years...it's not a structural issue, just can't run plank flooring over the void and then when it gets to the opening it will be lower than the threshold. I looked up the product mentioned earlier in this thread, and in the ratings there was another person that said it didn't bite in, and he just pealed it off...that is the issue many times with the leveling products...they just don't attach to old cement.
  • YOLANDA

Hi All, Hi Rose, thanks for the advice. The windows in our house were old - probably put in when the house was built about 1958. The windows were replaced, and we were told that they are more efficient, and that they block out some of the rays coming from the sun. I do not use lights. Power is expensive, and people have been growing AVs on windowsills for years. The angle of the sun will change as spring comes. It has not been very warm here. Yesterday was the warmest day this month - about 33 F. In July, it will be about 90 F. That will be much warmer, but the sun will be coming from a different angle. Some snow has melted but there is still mounds of snow on lawns across the street. I think this is the first year I have seen yellow spots on the leaves of my AVs. I will see how they are doing later in the year. If nothing, I can move them into the basement and more the ones in the basement upstairs. There are windows in the basement that the AVs like. I will have to consider moving them if they do not get better.

Just saying,

Yolanda

• damask_rose_5

Hi Yolanda! I just thought of another solution. Since your window blocks out certain wavelengths of light and plug-in grow lights would be expensive, perhaps battery-operated grow lights would be a good solution. You could get a few strips of battery-operated red and blue LED lights or full spectrum LED lights and position them above your violets. I found this on Amazon as a reference: Battery-operated LED light strip. I hope this helps! If it doesn't then I'm sure the experts will chime in soon and give you some good advice.

Best of luck,

damask_rose_5

• irina_co

Culture issues, probably cold water. It will grow better if you will repot it in a shallow pot - this is requirement for trailers, it stimuates branching. While it looks like it is a sport - it is still have a potential to be an attractive plant with nice colored blossoms - and since you are just learning to grow trailers - it will be your test subject.

The damaged leaves are not going to get better. I would take them out, pretty much stripping the plant to younger healthier leaves, plant it in a shallow pot - you can use something like a whipped philly cheese container with holes punched - eventually it will fit into a 5 inch bulb pan. Stripping the leaves will open the stems and stimulate sleeping buds to start growing creating offshoots.

You can do it!

Regarding overly wet and rotting plants... shipping in winter ... will chill the plants and make them more susceptible. Wet soil is no-no. So - change the seller and order when it is warmer.

Have fun!

I.

damask_rose_5 thanked irina_co
  • YOLANDA

Hi Rose, Hi All, I will see if I can attach a strip of lights over the plants. However, I do not have racks for the plants, and since the house is only 1100 square feet, three bedrooms, and three of us live in the house, I do not know where I would put a rack. It would take some engineering.

I am also waiting for our parish's rummage sale. If any duplicates, triplicates are in blossom, they will be going to the rummage sale. It would make more room for the babies I have and more room to spread out the plants. They are on three windowsills upstairs and three windowsills downstairs. It is all a matter of room.

I will have some planning to do.

Thanks for the advice.

Yolanda

damask_rose_5 thanked YOLANDA
  • damask_rose_5

Hi Irina! Thank you so much, this helped a lot! I will remove all of the damaged leaves and try to polish off a cream cheese container so I can use it as a pot. (Bagels do sound good right now :).) I hope I can grow this plant well, it is very special since it was a gift from my family. I don't mind so much that it is a sport, I think the flowers are really pretty. The folks at Hirt’s Gardens are very nice and they were very understanding about replacing the O. Little Inca, but for what you're paying I guess I expected better cared-for plants. To be honest, I felt bad that my family paid a lot for something that I fear I may not be able to keep alive due to the condition the plants were sent in. Hopefully with your help I will be able to make it thrive. I really do love the look of the plant though. I am thinking about naming it perhaps, maybe even registering it. Do you think 'Michelle’s Purple Valentine' would be a good name? I have already set down leaves to see if it comes true. Maybe once the leaves produce plantlets I can distribute some to Gardenweb members who want them for the price of shipping.

Thanks again for all your help, you have been really kind and helpful with all of my AV endeavours. : )

Hi Yolanda! You're very welcome. Wow, your house must be beautiful with all the African violets blooming in the windows! Also, the rummage sale sounds fun! My church has rummage sales once in a while but the only plants they ever sell are lady-finger bulbs. I have too many of those already, (they multiply like crazy!)

Regarding the battery-operated LED grow lights, if you decide to get some, make sure that the battery pack is designed to last a long time, as some only last for a few days. Also, make sure that the lights are bright enough to use for plants. Here is a link to help you out: Everything You Need to Know About LED Strip Lights

If you don’t have room for a shelving unit, perhaps you might have room for a wall-mounted one? Here is an example:

Wishing you both plentiful blooms and perfect rosettes,

damask_rose_5

• YOLANDA

Hi Rose, Hi all - Rose, thanks for the advice. I will think it over.

My plants may grow on windowsills, but for the most part, I do not think that people notice them unless someone points them out. There are plants in the living/dining room. In the living room, they are on a windowsill behind a love seat, and in the dining room behind a lace curtain, The others are in the master bedroom behind a lace curtain. Those are the ones facing south.

The basement is partial finished, and they are in a window facing north and in another room facing east and west. The basement is still full of things removed from my Mother's place when she went to a nursing home, and probably things taken out of my Mother-in-law's place when she died. There is also things that are being collected for the rummage sale - books, kids' clothing, etc.

In the basement, I think the amount of sun can be a challenge. There are plants that do really well there, and there are others that do not. I move plants from upstairs to downstairs when I feel there is a need. The plants in the basement stare at the car in the driveway, at the sidewalk in the north and into the neighbor's backyard to the west.

Growing AVs has always been a challenge. I know that you may not have a basement. Our basement is full of some useful things - the furnace, the laundry room, the hot water heater, etc. It is extra living space to get away from others.

Just saying,

Yolanda

damask_rose_5 thanked YOLANDA
  • irina_co

Strip lights work the same way as LED fixtures, more work to attach them though.

Naming and registering the sports makes sense only if the sport is an improvement from the original variety. If the original plant has bicolor or fantasy blossoms - and the sport has solid color blossoms... it is not an improvement unless it got some other outstanding features - like puts 100 blossoms per crown 12 months a year... 99% of sports are less interestng than an original - so while there are named sports - really not that many. The most desirable sport - is a chimera. If you grow a multicolored variety - every so often in a blue moon you get a chimera mutation. Makes sense to preserve it and name it.

If you want to go through the official channels, put a lot of efforts and get a registration number in AVSA - fine, it can be done.. Just for your own enjoyment - you can name it the way you like - and share with friends. Or it can continue its life as a sport of Rob's. It is technically correct.

Really well grown and blooming plant usually looks much better than a pedigree one with 3 blossoms. Optimara "My Delight" is gorgeous. So investing into TLC and good culture usually pays off very well.

I., the spoilsport.

damask_rose_5 thanked irina_co
  • damask_rose_5

(Houzz just deleted my entire response before I was finished, so here goes take two…)

Hi Yolanda!

I’m so sorry about the loss of your loved ones. May they rest in peace. I’m sure they would be very proud of you for making the world a more beautiful place by growing African violets. You’d be surprised by how much a few flowers can brighten up someones’ day. Sometimes growing African violets can be a challenge, it is for me too, but I guess that is what makes it so rewarding. You give them a little love and care, and they give so much beauty and happiness back. You just find whatever growing set-up works for you and I’m sure your violets will do beautifully.

Hi Irina! I guess I did get a little too excited about naming my sport. I’ve just always wanted to have my very own plant cultivar. With no room for hybridizing, when I received my sport I saw it as a golden opportunity : ). But you’re right, it’s the plant that matters, not its name. As someone once said, “A rose by any other name smells as sweet...” But then again, I hate Shakespeare, so I may secretly call my violet “Purple Valentine” just for my own enjoyment... ; )

Have a nice weekend everyone and thanks for your kind responses,

damask_rose_5 aka Eager McBeaver ; )

• irina_co

I have a great respect for hybridizers... they plant manyhundreds of seeds every year... nurture the plants... and cull-cul-cull all the way. May be name 1-2 plants from each cross, may be none. Yes - you need to have a space to grow the best ones to bloom...

• YOLANDA

Hi Rose, Hi All, I have given my AVs names. They have to be named after fictional female characters, such as Pollyanna, Samantha, etc. It is fun for me to think of names of fictional female characters, whether old nursery rhymes, kids' stories or modern fiction.

Just saying,

Yolanda