Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hawami

Please vote for front door color!

hawami
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We are now deciding front door and covered porch ceiling colors for our new construction. we did faux wood garage color. Garage can only been seem from side of the house, not front. We stained our stair rails black and it can be seen as you enter the house.

Below are options that we are thinking of:

1) Black front door / dark walnut covered porch ceiling

2) Dark walnut front door / white covered porch ceiling

Your advice is much appreciated!!!!

Comments (26)

• jck910
    4 years ago

Seems dark in the porch so I would do a white door & ceiling

• J Inhof
    4 years ago

Not what you wanted to know, I know, but your choices seem dark and too plain to me too. Personally I would consider painting the door a color that coordinates with your interior decor For a little pop of color on your facade. I’d think about painting the ceiling an off white or maybe even an interesting lighter color of your door.

If I were doing this project I’d take a look at Farrow and Ball red and orangey color range which you can then have color matched with some degree of accuracy At Sherwin Williams or Ben Moore or other reputable paint stores. I also like the Ben Moore colors ‘Peruvian Chili’ and ‘Firenze,—a little daring but on trend. You can easily repaint your front door when you are tired of it.

• Pinebaron
    4 years ago

If you believe in Feng Shui, try and follow recommended entry door colors which depend on direction of your home. You can still defy Feng Shui by changing or adding other things like plants etc. around your entrance to bring in luck.

• Lala
    4 years ago

What color is the exterior of your home?

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Try posting this as a poll since you want us to vote.

• chispa
    4 years ago

No to using black/dark colors.

Fine Paints of Europe has an amazing glossy paint that looks great on exterior doors. They have really nice red colors too.

https://www.finepaintsofeurope.com/index.aspx

Front Doors · More Info

Front Doors · More Info

Front Doors · More Info

• houssaon
    4 years ago

I agree with others that a bright door and a light ceiling would be more eye catching. Lots of homes have light blue ceilings - my portico and porch do. I could see a bright yellow door with a blue or white ceiling.

• hawami
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Unfortunately, we do not want colorful door. We are looking for a more modern feel for the house. Thanks anyway.

• Kirsten E.
    4 years ago

I vote dark walnut and a white ceiling to keep it bright/coordinate with the trim

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

There is nothing not modern about a colored front door most MCM doors are a color and IMOthe style of the door has more to do with modern than the color . I see nothing inviting about a dark walnut very traditional door on this house. The house does not say modren to me but a bit of colr never hurt on almost any house. In fact I would use lime green for at least some furniture on the deck to add some real color. The door is so hidden it needs to pop out and sorry to say but the stone work is definately not modern.

• ajrmcr
    4 years ago

What way does the front door face?

• J Inhof
    4 years ago

h., your inclination for no color or walnut is good to reinforce for me, so thank for bringing that up again. Certainly every person wants to paint their door a color or wood stain or neutral that they like and enjoy. So my question below is for the general Houzz poster On the thread.

But am I among the few who include a variety of colors within the range of the ‘modern’ aesthetic? I dunno, imo dark walnut is very conservative and traditional but I am a baby boomer and far from a millennial so maybe I am totally out of it? I know a little about architecture and design—having lived with an architect for a few years—but I guess I know just enough to be dangerous. Any thoughts (and sorry to hijack he thread 🙃.) Best, . J.

• chispa
    4 years ago

Your house is a traditional neo-colonial style. Trendy gray paint does not make a house more modern. Your interior is also not modern. Your trim is traditional.

Maybe you can post some photos or explain what "more modern" means to you.

• blueKYstream
    4 years ago

If those are the two choices, I'd go walnut front door with white ceiling.

• Elaine Ricci
    4 years ago

If you don't want to go colorful, my vote is for the walnut door and white ceiling.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

Hunter Orange

• Pinebaron
    4 years ago

A home's entrance, no matter how large or small, should be as grand as possible; outside, entry door and inside entry.

• strategery
    4 years ago

OP: Ask about front door, post photos of everything except front door.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Your house is not modern. It is at best transitional leaning towards traditional. Why do you want to hide the door so it’s difficult to find?

• smitrovich
    4 years ago

I'm so confused about how this is a modern house. Either way, I wouldn't do black or walnut... you need some color.

• kristaj
    4 years ago

Choice #2

• J Williams
    4 years ago

Black doors under porches look like voids. You need a some colour.

• Pinebaron
    4 years ago

Although not everyone's cup of tea, a black door in the right setting can be extremely elegant, inside and outside.

As an example, I designed this very wide entry door for our new build and had it built to my specs. Iphone pics, not the greatest, exterior and interior pics

• rachann61
    4 years ago

Hard yes to white ceiling and walnut door, if those are the only options. Do you think you have to match the garage door? A glossy red door would be awesome. And red geraniums! If you have enough sun. What direction does the house face?

• rmsaustin
    4 years ago

Stained door - would look good with the stone and coordinate with garage door -- just because you can't see them both at the same time doesn't meant they shouldn't make sense. Maybe a light blue/grey ceiling for the porch? A little surprise for guests? If. not, then white to match trim. What is that small white gable on the second floor? Why is it not sided and why is the window not trimmed out like the others? Looks out of place/unfinished to me, but maybe there is a reason?