Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Variegated Pink Eureka Lemons

They're looking as good in February this year as they did in April last year. And the color of the flesh is much improved. I just so happened to harvest these because I needed to prune a heavy branch for space, but I'm glad I did. Now I know that the rest can be harvested at leisure. Iced lemon water, iced lemon tea, and of course proper cocktails are on the menu!

Comments (32)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

Really nice looking fruit.

Steve

greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
  • Nick (9b) Modesto Area
    4 years ago

Great lemon mine is all full of blooms right now should be productive year.

• Matt z5b - Greenhouse 10a
    4 years ago

Perfection! They look great!

greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a thanked Matt z5b - Greenhouse 10a
  • greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, guys.

The flavor and aroma is excellent.

Yesterday after work, I made gin and tonics with two lemons in each, and a slice of blood orange. They were phenomenal.

Josh

Original Author
    4 years ago

• CA Kate z9
    4 years ago

Beautiful! The fruit looks beautiful too.

greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a thanked CA Kate z9
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

The drink really hit the spot with me.

Steve

greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

They were so refreshing, and the flavors worked perfectly together.

Josh

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thanks for the invite buddy!! Someday.lol Nice job !

Hey, I'm seeing a green lawn back there. Did you even get winter yet?

Or are you already along into spring? That's enough to make me jealous...

Mike

Original Author
    4 years ago

Mike, we had a very mild Winter! That is at my sister's house. Can you believe it, my brother in law mowed the lawn this morning! Crazy, huh?

Josh

• J-Cali 9B
    4 years ago

Can you tell me about other aspects of the tree? Would it be a candidate for an informal espalier or to keep under 8 ft. with pruning? Is the fruit suitable for recipes that call for juice and zest like baked goods? Do the lemons store well and hang long on the tree? Thanks!

• Jan
    4 years ago

Josh those look fantastic!! I didn’t know that the stripes eventually disappear I guess when I picked mine they were not ripe! That drink looks amazing josh love the slightly pink hue!! my blood orange is holding onto four fruits this year crossing My fingers it’ll actually ripen this time and not just fall off when Still small.

greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a thanked Jan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sally,

I would think you could use these lemons just as you would a Eureka lemon.

My tree is less than 2 feet tall, and you could certainly train one on a frame or just maintain with pruning. The lemons store reasonably well on the tree; better than, say, a Meyer lemon.

Jan, thank you! Yes, those stripes eventually fade and then take on a slight pinkish hue on the rind. If you let the lemons fully ripen, the color becomes brighter and the lemons are much more juicy. My first two years I harvested them early, and the fruit was very hard and dry.

Josh

• Jan
    4 years ago

Josh thats so interesting! I never would have known if it wasn’t for you my vpl is now flowering and blooming next year I too shall make some drinks with them :) hope you and your family are staying safe in all this craziness Josh! Take care!

greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a thanked Jan
  • Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

Josh, you are killing me buddy! I remember when that tree was first aquired by you, such a little thing. Nice. Always keeping us updated never forgetting. Thank you

Jan, I hope you are safe from this virus and you too Josh. Thank God I have not had it yet but what concerns me is that if I finally do, they won't have the resources to help me or my Mom. I pray it's not like that. Hugs

Original Author
    4 years ago

Hey, good morning, Jan and Mike!

I hope you, too, are out of harm's way. I certainly look forward to seeing friends again and going to the old pub for a drink and a game of darts. One day!

Mike, so the pink lemon that I bought is now gone...I gave it to my sister and planted it in her yard. It survived the Winter, has a small fruit on it, and is getting ready to flower again.

The tree that I harvested this fruit from is actually a cutting that I rooted from the mother a couple years ago. This smaller tree, on its own roots, is so much healthier...and so much more fruitful! I will be potting it up soon, toward the end of April once the weather warms a bit.

Josh

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

Josh, you have to be kidding me? I am going to try rooting a few this summer. I am pretty much surprised. Great job. some day show me a pic of that tree growing in her yard. Please be safe and I sure do miss going out too(

• Silica
    4 years ago

Actually I'm not surprized about rooting the cutting. Lemon cultivars are among the easiest citrus cutting to root. The success rate is just about 100%.

• Jan
    4 years ago

Josh I just keep learning from you! You don’t say?!? I’m going to try rooting a cutting from it too then! I do still have some rooting powder left :) I’m terrible at rooting citrus though never had one take! It’ll pass my time during this crazy isolation! I know what you mean josh about wanting to go out I hope soon :) stay safe until then!

silica do you do anything special to the cuttings to get them to take?

mike I’m so glad to hear you and your mom are still safe! I worry about that too the hospitals are just flooded with ppl here they’re saying the mortality rate of people with other disease besides covid 19 is very high due to the fact that they can’t help them with the hospitals being so busy right now it’s a scary time to be alive and they’re predicting a crime wave too because of everyone who’s lost their jobs and such all the shops have cleared their shelves in case of a looting And riot! give my regards to your mom mike and stay safe!

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    4 years ago

Josh, nice harvest. Enjoy! I'd love to see a pic of your entire tree. I have one that yielded 3 lemons this year. I've harvested one so far. They sure are pretty, but I don't like them as much as the ST. I will keep that tree though because it is so pretty. :)

Original Author
    4 years ago

I will get an update pic, Laura, thank you!

Josh

Original Author
    4 years ago

Laura, here you go. I pulled it out of the greenhouse today.

It'll need to be repotted and pruned to get back into shape. Super productive despite its small size. Only one fruit left.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    4 years ago

Very pretty tree! Mine is bigger and only yielded three lemons, so good job!!

• Nick (9b) Modesto Area
    4 years ago

So far of all my citrus the variegated pink Eureka is my least productive citrus tree by a long-shot. Its 4 foot tall and in the best soil in my yard which is my 8x4x3 raised bed. Right now its blooming and looks like it will be a good year but only time will tell and see how the fruit sets. I could be an issue with my individual tree. I will give it this season and maybe next to become productive. If it doesn't then I will replace it with a regular Eureka or other similar tart/sour flavored lemon tree.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, Laura.

The mothertree that this one came from is much taller, and less productive.

Nick, maybe it's just my local conditions, but this tree that I rooted is way more productive than the mothertree, which is now planted at my sister's. I was tired of the mother's weak performance and gangly appearance, so I figured why not give it a chance inground?

Josh

Original Author
    4 years ago

Mike, we're having a wild windstorm, lots of rain, but here's a picture of the mothertree that I planted at my sister's house. It has new growth, a set lemon, and lots of blooms developing. The deer and the wind have stripped off most of the leaves, but at least it survived the Winter.

• jaydub83
    4 years ago

i cant wait to try these, they look great greenman. heres mine, potted. It really took off last year after growing slowly for 2 years.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Nice, Jay, you've got the green and yellow variegated form!

Josh

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    4 years ago

That dark green and yellow version is awesome, I’ve never seen one of those before. I have the regular light green and cream colored version.

Variegated pink lemon tree · More Info

Evan

• Jan
    4 years ago

Jay that is so beautiful! I’ve never seen variegation like that before on citrus! I’d love to see if the fruit will be the same Colours as the normal variegated tree!

• Jan
    4 years ago

Evan beautiful trees as always!