lisa616

need creative kitchen table ideas!

Lisa

I very much want a kitchen table. Of some size/shape! I know the space is challenging but I’m hoping you awesome people out there have some ideas! I was thinking of using the pony wall for a bench so that would save space. I would love a round pedestal but thinking that’s probably not the best for this space. Despite what I want. I hope these measurements help. Because of that angle it’s sort of challenging measuring it all out. I will have 2 or 3 stools on the right end of the island. That’s where the overhang with legs is so even a small breakfast table would be ok. I do have a dining room.. but really love being in the kitchen. 4 people would be ideal. Any brilliant ideas!

• Lisa

Kathi~ I get what you were seeing. My apologies. I made the island longer with a pen and it made it look like that was the overhang. Sorry! I do like that bench with the oval table... the angle just seems to make the space so awkward.

• einportlandor

I think you can do it. I have a 2.5' X 3.5' table in my small kitchen -- it's a vintage table with two leaves that I use only when entertaining buffet style -- and it's great. In fact I'm sitting at the table as I type. Since you have alternative seating, a tiny cafe table with two chairs might work. You might also look for a small rectangular or oval table, and small chairs that can tuck all the way under the table. Your idea of a bench along the pony wall would be another good option. Think small, think low-profile, and go for it. I love kitchen tables!

Ideas for creative kitchen island

Looking for a creative way to hide maybe some kitchen gadgets/ or appliance inside the table. The sewing machine was attached to a hinge that raised it up from the space below, then sat ontop the table. Any ideas are welcome.:)

Need a creative idea for an off center light over the kitchen island

We custom make our lighting. One thing we've done for situations like this is to make a canopy large enough to cover the junction box, as well as center it over the island, then put multiple pendants hanging from it. You could do a long narrow canopy and have 2 or 3 lights hanging for example... enough to cover it, but if it's sized to cover as well as center the fixture, no one would even realize! The images below are just ideas, we can do it with as many or as few pendants as you like using our blown or fused glass. Don't feel stuck to have to create a whole chandelier unless you want that look.

Out-dated kitchen shelf needs a fresh look and creative ideas!

I'm not a huge fan of faux greenery, due to the dust factor. However, if you have a collection of something that is meaningful to you from travels, etc, this does provide display space. Antique tins, apothecary jars, books, etc can provide color and would be a change from the baskets. Have fun rearranging!

need a creative idea for a coffee table in front of a curve sofa

It's not clear what style curved sofa you refer to but this contemporary sofa looks great with this style coffee table. Plus it is different .
  • LALA

Now that I see the pictures, I think the pony wall is too low for any back support with a bench.

• Peke (Patti)

Vartan Kirakossian · More Info

Seems awkward with the angled wall.

Can you remove the pony wall? Is there a step down into the great room?

Can you use backless bench seats that stay under the table until you need them?

I just saw your pictures that you added.

• Lisa

The pony wall is 26 inches high. Maybe bench with throw pillows?

• Lisa

I’d love to square the wall.. but no. The great room is down a step so it would be major work. Flooring etc. I have to work with what I got. I like the bench that’s an L that you did above. Uses space wisely. Great idea! I guess I have to wait until the island is installed and go from there. I didn’t want to make the island humongous. I really wanted both!

• katinparadise

I would forego the island seating and instead put a 48" table perpendicular to the table and make that your seating area. Or, do a bench at the back of the island with a table and two chairs across from it.

A 48" rectangular pedestal table could comfortably seat 6.

• Lisa

It’s too late.. the island has already been made. Just waiting for install. It’s this but switched the seating to the other end.

• Peke (Patti)

It seems like since that low wall is angled, that the island should be shaped differently...

• Peke (Patti)

Since the island has been made, can you put chairs in your kitchen (exactly where your island will be) to represent the corners of your island, then put sheetrock or plywood across it or even a sheet. Same measurements as your island. Place parallel to cabinets first. Take a picture. Then try an angle with your fake island. Post the pics.

• Lisa

Great idea. Thank you! It was a long decision to shape the island that way. 2 kitchen designers both said it was the way to go unless I want a huge triangular island and no table. I didn’t want that. It would of taken over my downstairs. To me at least. The old island was angled to face the pony wall and it was an awful use of space. I guess that was more my question for everyone.. what shape/size table can balance off this room? There’s gotta be a way! Positive thinking here! Thank you to everyone who has posted. I truly appreciate the help!

• Lisa

Couple other details.. the current paint color winning the race for the cabs is anew gray. The perimeter countertops are staying. Titanium black. New island top is maple to add warmth. God I hope this comes out good. I’ve waited for years to do this remodel post divorce to make it mine.

• Peke (Patti)

If you are in the great room, looking into the kitchen through that low wall, any table close to the low wall will be taller than the wall. Place a fake table near the low wall to see what it will look like with benches and a table in front of the wall. Benches may or may not be taller than the wall....not sure. I am guessing that the low wall cannot be raised taller for a built in banquette bench? Maybe an angle like half of a hexagon?

• Lisa

I was thinking about a bench with no back? But I can probably raise the pony wall fairly easily. I’d have to ask my contractor.

• functionthenlook

I would do one or the other. A table or the island. Not every kitchen needs an island. A table could serve as the casual eating, extra counter space as needed or a buffet.

• Peke (Patti)

I tried to make it work. I think it would have worked with a right triangle island.

Blue is seating and red is table.

• Peke (Patti)

This right triangle could have the section below the black line be at chair height.

• Peke (Patti)

Maybe??? I think I have seen tables with dropped leaves that were triangles. I think they had about a 15" section that was on the top when the leaves were dropped down.

Not much help, I know. The only other thing I could think of was a long narrow table top bolted to the wall with chairs under it. (on the 12 ft wall.) Sort of line the counter seats at an old diner.

• Lisa

Thank you Patti! I know the triangle island would of fit well. I just didn’t want that. Everyone facing the prep area with their backs to the family room. When I have just 4 of us having a casual dinner I wanted to face each other. I’m still convinced I can get something to work. I need to tape off the island or use boxes and really get a feel for it. It’s a challenge I know! I almost went with no island and a big kitchen table but I realized I love the island for prepping. As my daughter says.. #firstworldproblems

• Peke (Patti)

I understand! We have an idea of what works for us and what we can live with. I agree with you about needing an island. You will figure it out, I am sure.

• Lisa

So I boxed out the island size and sadly there doesn’t appear to be a way to make the table work.. at least not by the pony wall.

But Katinparadise gave the examples of the table in front of the island. I actually really like it. Very different but why not? I found this I like.. not with two table though. I can forego the island seating but this shows having both. Also snapped a terrible photo of my makeshift island. Tossed the chairs in there for scale. I just can’t see a table fitting. I would dearly appreciated ideas, photos, mockups! Could be a cool, albeit different space!

• Lisa Dipiro

You have room for table and chairs at the pony wall... move the animal water bowls to end of island near door... don’t need wide table at all

• Lisa Dipiro

Or put on the flat wall near door sidelight... move the garbage pail

• Lisa

The trash can is temporary. The new island will have a trash drawer. Yea!

• Lisa Dipiro

I love my garbage/recycling pail drawer

• Peke (Patti)

Well...I posted a bunch of unusual shaped tables for you but they disappeared. Last time Houzz did that it took 4 days to appear. It they don't show up, I can post again. I think you CAN have a table if it is the right table.

• Lisa

Thank you Patti! I’ll keep an eye out. I need to get this island in and paint the cabs. I have a painter on hold.. and I’m struggling with color. I’m down to these 5 if you have an opinion.. I’m all ears!

• Lisa Dipiro

Is the backsplash staying? Cut in half put one half near backsplash another near floor. Your backsplash is beige green family floor is grey tones.
    I like the bottom three

• Peke (Patti)

Is the countertop staying, and what color is it? Does it have veins or show movement at all? Is your tile a crackle tile? What color is the wall paint?

The bottom 3 are close. The center of the three seems lighter but I can't tell any difference between the two on either side of it.

Like Lisa said, please move the samples to the tile and counter area if they are both staying. Snap new pics.

• Lisa

More details would of helped! The countertops are black. Titanium. Backsplash is beige with taupe/Greige undertones. Island countertop will be maple. The wall paint is undecided. The rest of the downstairs is Kilim beige. All white trim. Here’s some other photos. I can take better ones tomorrow when it’s brighter! The lower colors from left to right are agreeable gray, incredible white and shoji. Upper is anew gray and metropolis. With the floor being medium toned I figured I need to go way lighter or darker for contrast. Thanks!

• Peke (Patti)

The floor looks brown compared to the gray paint samples down low.

On the first picture that has a close up of the tiles and counter, I like all 3 colors. (with my monitor)

No matter when you take the pics, you will have shadows. I think I would prefer a cabinet lighter than the floor.

Go with your gut! I forgot..are you keeping the same kinds of light bulbs?

Are you sure you want to paint those pretty wood cabinets? I had painted cabinets when I was younger. Couldn't afford anything else at the time. I am sure some painted cabinets are expensive...but I know I hated trying to keep them clean. The wood grain hides a lot so you can clean them when you have time. Same with white painted baseboards.

LOL...when my teenage daughter was grounded that was a punishment for her...cleaning the white baseboards. (along with pulling weeds from the flower bed.) Very effective for her.

• Lisa

Definitely leaning towards the lightest color. Which is incredible white. And it works with all the extra white trim I have. Believe me.. those cabinets photograph well. They are 20 years old and whole structurally fine.. the finish is worn in many places. I just replaced all the hinges with soft close. Amazing difference for $50! The floor definitely leans brown.. it was so hard to pick new flooring and cabinet paint while keeping existing counters and backsplash. I am getting all new undercounter lighting. Just came in! They are 3000K. And replacing my can lights next. I love the teenage punishment! I made mine scoop dog poop. Brutal!

• hemina

I haven’t read all the posts closely so pardon me if you’ve already considered this. Since the island had been made, could you add a table height area in a semi circle to the back end? It’s angled enough to see each other without adding a table.

• hemina

I have no idea why I’m having issues posting pics today!

• hemina

Here are some ideas...again not sure if this is an option based on what you may have already discussed...

• Lisa

Thank you Hemina! That’s another take on putting the table in front of the island. I do like the round thing.. it softens the lines of the room. If that even makes sense!

• Peke (Patti)

It is a Houzz problem. It has been happening for a couple of weeks. Pics don't show up for 4 days and typing issues. Others have been having trouble too. I reported it. I am going to post the pics again for you.

Rounded triangle...needs to be straight triangle and benches under your pony wall.

The one below can be made by a cabinet maker. You add legs you buy online.

Folded up against the wall.

older

• Peke (Patti)

The pic below shows a lower table attached to the island, but you could have it built like this but deeper. Have the top folded on itself (hinged) so you could pull it away from the island, unfold it, move supporting legs under it, then you could sit across from each other.

The white table would be what it looked like under your table if you did a drop leaf vs a table that fold in on itself.

See how this table is folded back on itself? Hinged in the middle, but a support leg or two has to be turned in to support the leaf.

Seen how

IKEA

tis table i

• Peke (Patti)

This is an trapezoid classroom table, but a wood trapezoid table top could be made and legs attached. A piano hinge or ??? could be used. Keep it folded against the pony wall then unfold and pull away from wall when you need more seating space. Benches underneath.

Just for fun. Check out this table. Not for your space.

Must be expensive

• Peke (Patti)

I think 3000 is a warm white.

• Lisa

I do think an interesting shaped table might work. Hoping the island comes in this week. I can get that installed and move on to painting. Then I can get a good feel for a table. One way or another! I think I’m going with this color scheme. Hoping there’s enough contrast. Shoji white on cabs and anew gray on walls. Or even metropolis. And possibly the metropolis on the island. Although the island will have a maple top so I may keep the cabinets all one color. I was trying to start a new thread with paint colors but the app keeps shutting down. I can comment on an existing but can’t start a new one. Tried everything!

Combs Roofing & Design

Removing the Pony Wall will give you more options. an upholstered banquette with a oval table like the one suggested earlier.

• Lisa

I would love the wall removed. But it’s a step down into the great room and people would fall. And without leveling the floor I really don’t gain any space. Gotta work with what I got.

• Lisa Dipiro

Lisa yes OR people would push their chair back and fall... have to keep the pony wall

• Peke (Patti)

That would be a surprise when they pushed back their chairs! The colors look great!

Houzz is having trouble with the app and the website. Many others have posted. They know about it and I guess are working on it.

Hope your island gets in soon!

• Lisa

Thanks Patti! Island top is here.. the maple is so light. I just ordered dark Tung oil. Hoping to richen it up a bit. I wanted to post a Tung oil question but I still can’t post a new topic. As soon as I type it out and hit next.. app closes. I’ve reloaded. Deleted and reinstalled. Used a different device. Heck.. I even used my work phone and started a new Houzz account. Same thing. I can add to a current post but nothing new. Frustrating!!!

• Peke (Patti)

Great! Can't wait to see the island top.

Try updating to the newest app. I have heard that works for some people.