hoosier_nan

Jane's Prism in the greenhouse

Jane's Prism is blooming in the greenhouse today. Her color is not right, but I am glad to see any daylily bloom.

This is what she should look like.

Can't wait for daylily season!

Nancy

• Nancy 6b

Beautiful

• Julia NY

Nice to have some color. Why do you think the color is so different? Greenhouse bloom vs blooming outdoors during the season?

Julia

• signet_gw(6b)

Is your greenhouse plant a new one ? Will your greenhouse plant lose the white midribs? I don't see any on the plant in the second image you say your greenhouse plant should look like. Colorwise they really don't look lilke the same plant do they .. Must be the soil it is planted in . On NGA there are several images that show the plant with a deeper pink background much like your greenhouse plant is showing Either way you are lucky to have a bloom this time of year. Do you keep your greenhouse heated ?

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

I think the color variation is due to temperatures in the greenhouse. The flowers pictured are from the same plant. Jane's Prism didn't do well in the garden so we dug it up and put it in a pot and put it in the greenhouse. The soil it is planted in now is different--commercial potting soil--so that could have an effect. The temperatures in the greenhouse are perhaps more of the cause. The greenhouse is heated, but the temperatures can swing wildly from the high 60's to 100 degrees. Recently we have had more sun and the greenhouse is getting hot. We were away on the weekend so we couldn't prop the door open and it got to 100 on Sunday. To me, it looks like the flowers that get paler when there is a heatwave.

Whatever the cause, we appreciate any flowers this time of year and it also gives us an opportunity to pollinate the flower. We already have 6 pods from the flowers that have been blooming

Nancy

• signet_gw(6b)

Yes I can sure see how these blooms are welcome. It will be months before I get to see any blooms and we are pretty much on a parallell zone wise .

I am wondering , how do you heat your greenhouse ? Is it expensive to heat ? I have a 20 ft hoop greenhouse that has basically become a storage shed.(we had a nasty windstorm last year and my hubby's portable garage got sent flying across the property so the greenhouse ended up storing all his vehicles and miscellaneous other stuff. Not this spring though. He has a new portable garage anchored to the ground this time .

Plans are to move the greenhouse closer to the house so I have access to water ( that was a nightmare to deliver to it because it was so far away from a water source ) and maybe just maybe it will become a greenhouse again .

Wow , Nancy , pods already ? Did you use frozen pollen or fresh from the blooms in the greenhouse ?How exciting !

• organic_kitten

It is lovely, and I agree temperature does make so much difference in color.

kay

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Our greenhouse is 10 x 20 feet covered in corrugated plastic sheets. (Bob knows the correct name for the material, but he's not here right now.) They are not clear like polycarbonate so there is no need for any kind of shade cloth. It has two natural gas heaters. I don't know how expensive it is to heat since we put it up the very first summer we lived in this house, so we don't know what the energy costs on the house without the greenhouse would be. When we got the new furnace put in, the man from the furnace company said it wouldn't be as much as we might think.

The greenhouse is not on a permanent foundation but it is anchored in the ground. We have had no issues with wind even though it can get quite windy here.

We have water for the greenhouse, but no electricity. Bob runs an extension cord from the house for the fans. The heaters work without blowers.

We do freeze pollen. We have over a hundred vials of pollen frozen from last season, but many more from the previous seasons. We put the pollen in microcentrifuge tubes and store them in a container made for the tubes. Every summer we set up a table in the family room to dry the pollen. Here is a picture of the storage box.

• signet_gw(6b)

May I ask where you found your pollen storage box ? I have bought the centrifuge tubes from a man on the lily auction but I do not have the box to store them and that would be really helpful.

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

I bought the boxes from sellers on the Lily Auction. The last person I bought from was Tom Smoulder (smoulderdf). He used to sell a lot of supplies but I think he has stopped now. I think you can find them on Amazon.

They are very helpful. I don't know how I would keep the tubes organized without the box. The pollen tubes are roughly in alphabetical order. I also keep a master list of what is in the box.