Software
Houzz Logo Print
ltlwillie1280

Hinge cup placement for Ikea Sektion doors

6 years ago

Building my own shaker style doors for our new Ikea sektion cabinets.


Looking for exact dimensions for the size and placement of the hinge cups and holes on the door. Anyone have that available?


I would also be interested in the hole size and placements for the drawer fronts as well.

Comments (10)

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Go buy a door in the size you need same with a drawer front. BTW any warranty is now void with you not using Ikea doors.

  • 6 years ago

    I have the Kreg concealed hinge kit, was hoping to use that. Do you have a link to the Home Depot kit?

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Look on EBAY there are knock offs of the Blum hinge press that are $100 that drill all 3 holes at once and have enough adjustability to do all hinges.


    I wouldn't use Ikea hinges as there are better ones out there. Built in soft close, limiters for doors, etc at close to same price.

  • 6 years ago

    Buy the hinges that you're going to use and follow those specs.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Why wouldn’t you use the ikea hinges- the cabinet boxes are pre drilled to accept them.

  • 6 years ago

    Better quality Blum hinges with integrated soft close fit exactly into the Ikea boxes using the same holes. I use them all the time. That said Ikea just started offering their own version with the built-in soft close. As far as price my wholesale prices is much less than Ikea but for most people Ikea would be easier to get.

    As far as building your own shaker doors (and I have done that many times) I wouldnt recommend that with all the companies out there that just supply doors to the industry. Not many shops build their doors or drawer boxes these days. It doesn't pay.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I was wondering that too- maybe the OP really wants the exercise of building doors? Hard to justify unless its a hobby or you have a specific wood you have to have.

  • 6 years ago

    Jdesign, Hallett--any specific door building companies you would recommend that sell to the public?


    One reason to build your own beyond using specific wood species is because a lot of pre-made doors look like Little Stevie Wonder was in charge of grain matching. This matters only if you want a clear finish and not paint, of course.

  • 5 years ago

    I built my own doors and drawer fronts from Northern Hard Maple. After purchasing lumber and plywood I saved almost $2,500 on the Ikea doors and got a better looking (too me) product. BTW, I bought one Ikea door and made a simple MDF template from the corner to spec 35mm cup hole and the pilot holes. Ikea Sektion doors are all 1/8" smaller than the dimension they cover-- a 20x21 cabinet takes a 19 7/8 x 20 7/8 door. Position the cups relative to the corners and they'll hang perfectly.