Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Early Birthday Present

moonwolf_gw
4 years ago

Hi everyone,

Something told me to check my carnosa "Spotted Leaf" tonight since I saw a peduncle forming on it some time ago. Good thing I did, because, well, see for yourself ;).

If this doesn't blast, this'll be my first Hoya to bloom for me in a long, long time! Wonder if it'll bloom in time for my birthday this coming Friday?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (16)

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    4 years ago

Woo hoo! Let us have updates when it does bloom. I have a carnosa with active buds now too. That's hoya #2 with active buds. I will try to post picture tomorrow.

moonwolf_gw thanked popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
  • moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I hope so, too! It's such a relief and a blessing to see this during all the chaos in the world right now. Even in the chaos, there's always flowers. My bella was budding up, but they blasted, unfortunately. Maybe I should show Nikki these flower buds and she'll get inspired, lol. I do see a peduncle on her, so maybe she'll surprise me (she's almost 12 now, and not a single flower-yet, the cuttings I've given away over the years to some friends have bloomed, so I know what to expect). My pubicalyx "Red Buttons" and RHP both have peduncles (only one on RHP so far). Something tells me that this will be a summer full of Hoya blossoms :).

The peduncle on SLC (short for Spotted Leaf carnosa), is more straight now. Only three more days until my birthday, so I'll have to wait for sure.

I have some Hoyas I am hunting for. Maybe I'll poke around and see if anyone has them. Gotta check Gardino's and Almost Eden Plants, too (there's a hidden gem of online nurseries).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

4 years ago

Here's my carnosa peduncle with buds.

4 years ago

I just started giving all my hoyas a "bloom" fertilizer. It's an all organic formula from Age Old Organics. I'd like to see some more blooms! And thanks for the tip on Almost Eden. I'm going to check them out. I have a few on my wishlist. I was able to acquire rotundiflora recently.

4 years ago

Multiflora buds getting bigger every day. I am hoping no bud blast. Some already fell off onto the floor below.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I feed mine with tomato fertilizer since it's geared towards flowering and fruit production. Bloom booster never did a thing for me when I tried it. I have orchid fertilizer now, too. Maybe I can apply that as a foliar feed?

I need multiflora back in my life again. Congrats on rotundiflora. I wanted it at one point (had a cutting, too, but lost it). Then I was glad it didn't bloom for me since the blooms smell like wintergreen and I don't like wintergreen lol.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Hope it blooms and Happy Birthday!!

moonwolf_gw thanked djacob Z6a SE WI
  • moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Gonna check around today on some websites and see if there's anything that catches my eye. Gardino's updates their lists on Thursdays, so patiently waiting to see (they're not open yet).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

4 years ago

Sadly the multiflora buds all seem to be falling to the floor before bloom. Bummer!

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Try increasing the humidity. Someone else on one of the FB groups was saying about the buds falling off.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

4 years ago

I have one humidifier and I move it around the plant room, so it gets the humidifier on it every other day. But I live in a very dry climate, so even a humidifier may not be enough to keep it happy for blooming. Kinda bummed but such is life and at least the plant is healthy and it tried to bloom!

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Get yourself a spray bottle and keep it on hand. You can also set a tray underneath the plant, too.

I don't live in a dry climate, but the drier air from the winter and the heat affects my plants, to some extent, so I try to keep them happy when I can. There's such a difference in the summer when it's hot and humid and I have them outdoors. They LOVE it.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The buds, sadly, are blasting ;(. In the meantime, trying to not spend too much money on looking at what's on Etsy and Gardino's. I haven't ordered plants off of Etsy yet, but there's one shop on there that some of us have ordered from and have been very happy with (Secret Garden Rare Plants). Tempted to get an australis "Mrs. G". They do have cv. Chouke and pubicalyx "Black Dragon", both on my wish lists, but I wouldn't get those both at the same time given the current financial situations affecting many of us. Gardino's has australis ssp. australis "Brookfield" and australis spp. Sanae available, which is tempting, too.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

4 years ago

The carnosa blooms opened up today. It sure is pretty. A very pale pink. I'm delighted with it. I hope I get more!

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It's very pretty! Congrats!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus