Software
Houzz Logo Print
eaw0915

Tile Conundrum - Raised Border Subway Tile and Backsplash Outlets

6 years ago

Hello Houzzers! I am getting the last GC bids for my kitchen/laundry/powder room renovation and have come across what appears to be a big backsplash stumbling block. It took forever to get hubby to agree to anything other than a smooth glossy 3x6 subway tile but I'm having an issue with the selection of choice. We both agreed to Imperial Blanco Frame Gloss Ceramic Subway Tile in the 4x12 inch (L O V E the 4x24 but not enough uninterrupted wall space for that). I'd like to lay this in a third offset instead of a half offset.


Cue the electrician and one GC who said that we can't use this tile because of the raised frame (the reason that I love it). They said that it would create issues with the outlet covers being raised far above the outlet or alternately cut ends of the frames being exposed to sink covers. I called the tile shop to cancel my order but the manager told me that they've had this installed in a number of kitchens without problem and launched into an explanation of how to do it that immediately slipped away after I finished with the conversation.


Has anyone used this type of tile in their kitchen? If so, how did you get around the whole cut end/outlet cover issue? I found a wavy surface gloss white 3x12 subway that is ok and have a sample of the same type in a 4x12 (MSI) arriving this week. I still like the raised frame tile best though. This is my one shot at having a nice kitchen. If install is truly going to be a problem then I'll have to let this tile go but if it can reasonably be installed I'd like to use it. Thanks in advance for any advice, I really appreciate it.


I've posted some pics of the tile and CAD drawings of the sink and range walls (markups were for GCs). The sink wall will have open shelving on either side of the window to open up the feel of the kitchen. Also planning on using can lighting throughout and 2 pendants over the island.








Comments (11)

  • 6 years ago

    I don’t know the answer to the outlet question, but I bet that others on this site do. Or you can post it to an electrical forum. Just to mention, another concern with the raised frame might be cleaning grease etc from the crevices on the tile. Good luck with your project.

    eaw 513 thanked flopsycat1
  • 6 years ago

    Let me add, since the tile mimics the Shaker drawer fronts, from a design perspective, it might be redundant and too much of a good thing.

    eaw 513 thanked flopsycat1
  • 6 years ago

    I know the tile you're talking about - it was in front of my fireplace for a long time as a possible for new surround. I loved it and that's why I suggested under cabinet outlets.

    eaw 513 thanked tsjmjh
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks for the suggestions. I thought about trying to do the under cabinet outlets but I can't use them on the sink wall since there won't be any cabinets. This renovation also expanded to include the powder room (DH insisted) so we have to watch the budget. Little does DH know that even with mindful material choices we will exceed our budget. *sigh*


  • 6 years ago

    How high are you going on the sink wall? The outlets can be above the tile there, and possibly one on the end of the peninsula in the cabinet.


    For the cut edges you can use half-round pencil tile or even wood molding painted to match.


    'I"m sure you'll get lots of ideas here with a little time.



    Your guys lack imagination! That's a great tile.

  • 6 years ago

    Pop up outlets on the sink wall countertop ?

    eaw 513 thanked tsjmjh
  • 6 years ago

    We are going to tile from the countertop to the ceiling on the sink wall and will add open shelving on both sides. The shelves to the right of the window will be wider since we are extending the peninsula for seating. I’m planning on floatingb

  • 6 years ago

    Sorry, accidentally hit post. I’m planning on floating shelves to keep the look clean.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    You have the same gapping issue with beveled tiles. The ”solution” is backer rod and color matching caulk. Or learn to love the gap. Or do plug mold.





    eaw 513 thanked User
  • 6 years ago

    @live-wire-oak thanks for the visuals. I think DH and I need to seriously ponder whether or not we are ok with the look. This also is not our last house so resale will be an issue. Not sure that the buyers in our area would like either option.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH