eabel

New paint color, suggestions?

Emily Abel

Boyfriend and I are looking to remodel the red wall with a fresh, new paint color in his loft. Unfortunately we can’t change a whole lot (kitchen cabinets, etc...). One idea is to set up a gallery wall with variety of colorful artwork. What’s shown in second photo was quick mockup idea. Apologies for the mess! We also plan to change out the wood barstools with an additional black stool like the one shown. The table will change to a square, high top table with same black barstools. Table in front of window will be moved out, figure and fridge in corner moved, possibly different bar cart or may decide to keep then add something on that right side (move in front of window?). He does have a tall but narrow (1 foot) sculpture he could place where bar cart is now (in yellow in photo) and the bar cart moved. Items about fridge will also be replaced. I’m stuck... Any advice, suggestions, thoughts, or ideas would be great!

• jck910

Purchase the art and then lay it out before deciding background color

• armchairshopper

I would do one of the following to select a color:

A) Pick a color from the brick wall, and lighten it a few levels.

B) Paint it a shade of white.

Glo European Windows & Doors

What a great space! I would do either a soft white or black. Either of those colors will allow a lot more freedom when selecting artwork and frames. You want the attention on the artwork and not the wall color.

Are you able to change out the chandelier? It's very out of place with the decor and industrial modern style of the architecture. If it's a rental, I understand not being able to, but what a shame...

Flo Mangan

Can you post measurements of space? High top tables are out. Too uncomfortable. People can’t give them away. Do you eat in the space? It is great time to hunt antique or resale shops (when things open again) and find armoire for all your bar needs as well as extra storage space. They come apart so can get into any space. You could paint any color you want. So fun. Habitat ReStor might have options too at bargain prices.

Flo Mangan

Small kitchens with painted antique armoires.

Flo Mangan

Sorry ignore above comment. I was doing search for ideas for you.

Flo Mangan

Here are some examples. Since you have space limitations, getting tall piece is great for your needs.

• njmomma

following

Flo Mangan

Just playing with ideas. Here is black and white approach!!

• celerygirl

More options

BeverlyFLADeziner

I think the solution for your wall could be more dramatic then just a gallery wall. It's a loft for goodness sakes!

Below are murals from Etsy

• housegal200

Oops I meant Flo M's first rendering with round white table. Celerygirl's rendering are also fantastic, Love the idea of a round white and chrome round table--ugh, no high tops. You have your bar/countertop for that bar feeling. I think white paint with a warm tint to link with the wood counter, plus lots of great colorful art, would make the space look amazing. Get color and style from art, not a paint can.

• celerygirl

I agree with housegal, too many high-top .

• celerygirl

Let's go with more drama :-))

• housegal200

Whatever you bring in should link to the wood counter--chairs, stools with light wood legs. A wood element in industrial style works very well. Right now, you've got a bit of a 'bro style going on with the red, black pieces. Start to transition away from that a little by going modern but with some natural features, lighter colors, etc.

Thompson Chair, White/Walnut · More Info

Butterfly Mid-Century Dining Chair, Walnut, Charcoal · More Info

GDF Studio Annabella Fabric Dining Chairs, Set of 2 · More Info

• Emily Abel

I want to thank you all for posting! Many of these approaches I would have never considered! Right?! I wish I could change out the chandelier. Not sure the frosted tops can be switched so I’ll have to look into it! Still not ideal but... And yes, storage is a bit of an issue so I’m liking the functional armoire idea. I’ll keep you posted on progress.

Flo Mangan

You could change chandelier. Just keep this one, and when you move switch back. Just get one with sam size plate at top. Easy.

• Emily Abel

Any recommendations?

Flo Mangan

Lots of options. I would wait til you figure out what table and chairs and style. But I can look for some possibilities.

Flo Mangan

Some options.

Flo Mangan

Of course, all depends on table and chairs and styling. And budget. But you can get a nice fixture for not a lot.

• Emily Abel

You rock!

• Emily Abel

Here are some additional photos... Please excuse the mess! Were mid-tidy🙄

• Emily Abel

Wanting to paint that brown wall between kitchen and hallway as well as take down the cork board above trash. Idk how to feel about the brick post or wall behind it... Embrace it? Or come up with another idea? Although kitchen cabinet is very much accessible, the brick post blocks the door from opening fully. The color we decide on for the kitchen/dining space and hallway should or should not be the same? The chaise will be moved out and decor on the wall in the hallway and front door (box, etc) taken down. Unfortunately, the tv is unable to be moved.

We would like to keep the couch, trunk (ignore items on top of), and Cuba poster. Other ideas welcome! I was thinking of moving the Cuba poster to the left after moving the chaise. Would that leave too much blank space? The wall is slanted which makes the area a bit awkward and lighting is an issue in this area (use mirrors somehow?). For the entry and hallway I was thinking of adding a floor runner, putting up 2 of his wood frame pictures, or potentially a few shelves? I’ll provide similar ideas shortly.

Flo Mangan

I would use same paint color throughout. Helps make tight spaces feel bigger. LOVE your oversized Cuba poster. Amazing. Build around that. I would center on that wall. Hang so it middle of it is about 54” above floor. You can always raise it. Might paint the wall behind it SW Blackberry. Let me mock up and see if we like that. Bbl

Flo Mangan

Just playing with ideas. Fun space. A gate leg table behind your sofa could be multi use table for more dining sitting and buffet for parties or family gatherings.

• dsimber

Love your easel for the tv. Wish I had followed through with that idea. How do you hide your cords and any components such as Apple TV?

Lots of good ideas here. You have a fun space. And I agree on the Cuba poster. Wow!

• Emily Abel

Thank you! It’s from restoration hardware I believe. I prefer my TVs mounted to the wall BUT because of the plug placement this is really our only option (renting). The easel is very well made and I must say, it doesn’t look too bad! We strung each cord (very strategically) through handles on the the back which connect to the power strip. It really cleans up the look. The foam ledge the tv sits on has extra room on the back and this is where Apple TV, roku, etc is able to sit. I’ll see if I can find it online!

• Emily Abel

We use a few of these in the back to hold a few small cords. I failed to mention we have a subwoofer sitting on the bottom ledge which helps mask sight of the cables leading to surge protector

• Emily Abel

The one cable visible in the photo is from our Nintendo switch. Thanks for the reminder to hide that little guy!!

• jeffreyd9999

You may want to reconsider a bar height dining table. I have found that sitting on tall chairs/stools to be fatiguing after awhile. Also, make sure the chairs have a back on them, no backs suck.

Is the kitchen counter bar height or just counter height? If counter height, then a dining tall table will look not look good.

Please only use two stools at the counter. Three will just be too crowded. Besides, the table is right there anyway...

I actually like the table chairs that your BF already has. Stools are fine too.

Also, maybe a nice long credenza would be good there along the dining room wall? You can use it as a bar for now and then when you move, you can use it for the TV?

• dsimber

Emily, how kind of you! Thank you for that information. I am also currently renting, and the only place for the tv is in the corner. I think yours looks great! Good luck with your changes. 🍀