elena_alexandra39

Kitchen design ideas please!

Alexandra E.

Hello beautiful people, hope you're all doing well! Would love some advice on the kitchen. Was going for a modern/minimalist look but something feels unfinished. Maybe it's due to forgoing upper cabinets or backsplash or just an abundance of white empty walls? Should I add uppers or a backsplash? Or just add some art? We were initially going to remodel this house & rent it out... hence the basic appliances. But loved the house & decided to stay. So I'm definitely leaning toward getting new appliances now. Also, I really want to open-up the walls that are behind & to the left of the breakfast table & that is my plan (at least in the future) but the husband is hesitant...too expensive, load bearing walls, blah, blah. So in the meantime I'd like that area to look nice without a big investment since it's temporary (fingers crossed). I thought maybe some kind of shelving, coffee station, or floor to ceiling closed cabinets (though that would probably be more permanent). Or is taking down those walls the best idea? Is it worth the investment? Anyway, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. What's missing? What's working? What's not working? Thank in advance!

• Alexandra E.

More pictures

I would add upper cabinets and large art on the wall behind the table. Love what you've done so far!

• acm

Great looking space! I think I'd go with art rather than lots of clutter-attracting shelves, unless you find that you don't have enough storage -- and then I think I'd add some white uppers for closed storage first. Art by the table, and another piece to the left of the sink. Could bring some color (coordinating or contrasting with the teal) and character into a beautiful but maybe still empty/sterile-feeling space. Maybe an arc lamp by the breakfast table too?

• helou49

I love, really love, your cabinets. I'd just put interesting art up. And bring in some other colors in the art, rather than sticking with only the blues and greens.

• oreolucca1

The paint color in the kitchen is not working for me I would do something besides white. Something a touch warmer. Still light but not as cold. Also would do a different rug that covers up more of the floor. Its pretty but on the cool side. In the dining room would add things with texture. Rug plants basket to warm it up. Would natural blinds on Tv room windows and again add plants art work and texture.

• hemina

I think you need a different rug, and I think the counters look more yellow on my phone, while the walls are a very stark white. Can you replace the counters? Or, easier would be like @helou49 mentioned, warm up the walls a bit. I personally like the white/navy/dark teal combo if you wanted to add some color for rug or art, or to balance the color in the seating area. There are a lot of colors palettes that could work. Maybe hire a color specialist to give you some professional paint colors or color palette. I love the cabinets-they look amazing!

• calidesign

I love the cabinets combined with all the white. I would add large pieces of colorful art to the bare walls. I would also remove the animal rug which seems like a tripping hazard, and put a rug under the table instead. Your wooden shelves look too rustic and out of place in the otherwise modern kitchen. I would replace those with white cabinets instead, which will also function better. If you don't need the storage, just remove the shelves, and use art or a large mirror instead.

• anne dee

I think yr space is very nice but I'd lose the rug :)

• anne dee

You could move yr drinks cart to the DR and add a piece of art

Scotts Valley · More Info

inspiration pic

• Alexandra E.

Thank you all for your input! And looking forward to more :) Sounds like no one is pushing for the walls to come down. I will implement these suggestions (starting with easiest then working my way up) & keep you all posted. Thanks again!

• Alexandra E.

@HU-161159613 Thank you :) I will give that a try!

The shelves are way to country looking for the cabinets and also the stuff on them not modern at all. If you want shelves they need to be finished and maybe some white pottery on them at most . Wall art is what you need I love no uppers. That rug needs to go under the table . Instead of the shelves I would probably put some horizontal glass doors cabinets on that wall lighted from inside and all your glass ware there. You need a fab light fixture for over the table too.

• Alexandra E.

@Patricia Colwell Consulting... Thank you. The wood shelves was my way to warm up the space... modern farmhouse style...but I guess it didn't work out. Where would you suggest hanging the wall art? I have many empty walls... so hanging art on all of them might be too much... no? And for the glass door cabinets, are you thinking all the way to the top or just one line of horizontals? And would you then also change out the existing uppers next to the hood to match?

• Alexandra E.

Thank you, @calidesign. Thank you. Yes, some large pieces of art are definitely in order. Just can't seem to decide which wall/s. Also, feel like something is definitely needed on the wall/empty space to the right of the breakfast table. As for the rug, I felt like there was too much floor & wanted to warm it up, but I hear you. I do like the idea of white functional cabinets but if not, & I remove the shelves... wouldn't that be too many art walls?

• Alexandra E.

I guess this is what I was really aiming for... modern farmhouse...but sounds like it didn't work out :)

• keith Dcil

You are close to yourr inspiration pictures. But they all have great light fixtures & the blank walls above the counters have white tile which would be easy additions for your kitchen. Also move the rug to under table and replace the dinky shelves with chunky slabs of wood stacked (not staggered).

Beth H. :

try the rug you have under the table.

you don't want any tile on the walls? because i'm just thinking about all the beautiful possibilities you could have to make that look gorgeous.

love your cabinets and see where you were going w/the wood shelves, but it's not enough.

you don't want a farmhouse look w/your design. you want sleek.

and the shelves have to be longer than what you have. that means going custom. you'll have to pick out your wood at a lumber yard.

the walnut or teak looks beautiful w/the teal. you need a modern, sleek design, similar to yours, but longer.

I'd love to see your walls done w/Zellige tiles and shelves like these

love both. rustic meets modern

even if you just did your one back wall w/tile (not this one, but it just shows the look w/shelves) it would look great. it would have to be a modern layout w/the tile though

you could try marble shelves or do some finished walnut. but this look gives you the idea

love this type of tile too

• Alexandra E.

Great ideas, @Beth H. Thank you! :)

• decoenthusiaste

Are those IKEA's newest recycled cabinets? I hate that you have to schlep food from the fridge to the sink for prep; I think you're going to hate that. Consider doing the end wall (hood and cabinet end) with glass tile to match the cabinet color. It will pop the cabs and hood; just the touch you need.

• btydrvn

I would remove the walls... the pics need to be taken on your phone without the skewed angles.. the major flaw is the lack of a defined look... with these cabs you can’t mix all the styles .. stick with super slick contemporary ...the counters sleek and simple... replace the wood elements with metal or glass... less is more... at the end ..install abstract oversized art that includes the blue with a injection of a few other colors... use the other colors as inspiration for dining chairs.. rugs.. dramatic oversized vases with bamboo or dried grasses.. or small palms where there is light

• btydrvn

“Warming it up”is not really an option

• Laurence

I'm laughing because you want to add upper cabinets, where as I'm in the process of trying to remove my upper cabinets. I really love the no upper feel of your kitchen. I wouldn't remove the walls either, no spacing or lighting issue... Unless you like open spaces and seeing the other rooms, but I personnally like a bit of division. But that's me.

I would remove/move the rug somewhere else. The color of the cabinets is really nice, but since it's glossy, I find it more modern than farmhouse style. If modern what was you were aiming for, very nice though :)

I think the main thing missing is your backsplash : either tiles, or a mabled effect backplash would complete the "unfinished" look you are talking about.

And to warm up the space with wood, I often see for farmhouse that displays of multiple cutting boards. And I agree with what somebody else said about longer shelves, either in wood or other material, depending on the style you are aiming for :)

Good luck with you project. It's looking really nice.

• Alexandra E.

I appreciate everyone's input! Tried the easy fix, from some of your suggestions, first. What do you all think?

Beth H. :

I like the rug under the table.

you need some art on that wall though.

k

• Alexandra E.

@Beth H: Absolutely! That's next :)

• Alexandra E.

So would an art piece & chandelier/pendant be too much?

Beth H. :

love these colors. Rest. Hardware I think

zellige

Beth H. :

oh the light, totally forgot! I knew something was missing.

too much?

I like the gold because it plays off the rug

Urban Globe. Shades of Light. I like that one too because the cable wires look opposite of the table base.

this one mimics the table base too:

. I really like that rug there too

• Laurence

I'm not sure if I like the rug there still. With the screenshot where we are just looking at the table and the wall art, I like it. But when looking at the rest of the kitchen, I feel like it is pulling all the eye attention because of its strong contrast, and nothing in the kitchen as dark (like dark brown/black) to balance it.

Is it big enough to fit under the table in the dining room? There's some black in the rug - it would connect the black chairs feet to the brown in the flooring.

• Alexandra E.

@Laurence: The rug is not big enough for the dining room :-/ and I feel like it would completely blend with the floor. Though I do plan on painting it white at some point... but that's a whole other project :)

Beth H. :

laurence, that's why i'm trying to get her to do some tile. Or, get the longer wood shelves. Right now there is no contrast or anything visual at that part of the kitchen. once she gets the other items in that area, it will balance out the rug

you like these together?

• Alexandra E.

@Beth H.: Love your lighting choices! :) As for the blue tiles above... are you thinking just the back wall?

• Alexandra E.

What do you think about this art? Or should I stick to blues & abstract?

Kitchen 2 · More Info

Kitchen 2 · More Info

Kitchen 2 · More Info

Kitchen 2 · More Info

Beth H. :

I think you could do the blue tiles, or even the white w/slight blue tinge, on that entire stove wall, then have the wood shelves on the other.

just imagine a tile layout similar to this (but in a diff color) on your stove wall. you like that?

all tile

or, you could do a stacked layout all the way around the perimeter (removing the current 4" piece that's there now). and still do your wood.

kind of like how this one is. You'd still have your painted wall. but notice they did all the way to the ceiling on the stove wall.

If this was mine, I would have taken the tile all the way up.

another example of half way

half tile , shelves

• Alexandra E.

@Beth H: Love the lighting! The art wouldn't be my first choice but I understand where you're going. Maybe it's just too much red for me :)

Beth H. :

yes, I agree. it was what I had handy to photo shop! I know you want more of a minimal look.

the other art piece w/the peacock and white would be perfect. And I really like that light too. (the small globes) I think it's perfect for your kitchen. Unless you were thinking of going really minimal and just doing a single pendant?

another stove idea. you could do both tile and some shelves

not sure how minimal you like

• Alexandra E.

@Beth H.: Yes, love the tile wall all the way to the ceiling but afraid to add more blue :) but like you said, white with a little tinge of blue maybe a great choice! Do you know of any high quality or "high quality looking" tile that is easy to install or "stick on"? Or is that a total faux pas? I'd just like to be able to do it myself since we're not letting anyone inside the house right now ;)

• Alexandra E.

@Beth H.: Love these...
    As for the pendant... what I love about the one you suggested with multiple bulbs (rather than one) is how it mirrors the table base! :)

Beth H. :

omg,,please, no stick on. lol. you have a gorgeous kitchen don't cheapen it.

why don't you look at Seneca tiles? (but they aren't cheap) Fireclay tile has some beautiful tiles. In fact, Call Lindsey tmrw and ask if she can send you some samples. tell her I sent you.

I think if you splurged (and by splurge, those tiles run about $35 a sq ft) and did just the back stove wall, all the way up, it would be enough w/your wood shelving on the other side.

Look here at their gallery.

https://www.fireclaytile.com/gallery?application=kitchen

I like this tile in a vertical stack

you could do a white w/slight blue or grays, or a very very light peacock shade

you can even mix and match colors, gradients, shapes, etc. that's why I mentioned Lindsey.

here are their colors in this particular material. (they have glass, brick too)

https://www.fireclaytile.com/subway-tile/colors

If you like the Zellige tiles, they come in a lot of colors and sizes. try CleTile

do you look at the lighting link I posted w/it? I put the name of the light so you could search it. I really like the multiple globes too. it's a perfect mirror image of the base. not super cheap, but, whatever lol

https://www.shadesoflight.com/products/urban-globe-cluster-chandelier-7-light

Beth H. :

btw, I like the animal prints, but not the starving elephant! the giraffe is fine, but not the pink background

how's this one?

• Alexandra E.

@Beth H.: Lol! I hear you...NO stick ons! ;) Just thinking it's the perfect time to tackle some design projects but has to be DIY at this time. Perhaps, the tile will have to wait...or I can learn a new skill :)

• Alexandra E.

LOL! No starving elephants in the kitchen :) I'd like to incorporate some of my travel photography, if possible. So I'll have to look for less starving elephants in my collection of pictures. I suppose no starving children from India either? How's this b&w giraffe?

Kitchen 2 · More Info

• Alexandra E.

@ Beth H.: Love these... the teal & brown elephant ties everything in nicely but I also LOVE the minimal look of the b&w elephant. I'm definitely more of a modern/minimalist kinda girl...I just think I got seduced by all the farmhouse modern hipster coffee shops these days & strayed off my path. Lol!

• Alexandra E.

How do you like this one?

Kitchen 2 · More Info

• Andrea

Love your kitchen! So tired of just plain white. What if you created a coffee station to the left of you sink? You could add a shelf and hang some mugs to fill in the wall a bit. Where did you get your table?

• keith Dcil

Yes to the black and white animal photos- especially since they are your own. I also would like to see a pair of the black pendant lights w Edison bulbs on either side if your sink. You could do a white tile ( any style) on the stove wall with a teal colored grout for a hint of color. FYI- tile is a very good first time diy project... watch youtube videos first.

• anne dee

the rug under the table should be twice the size. and not that rug :)

• hemina

I agree that the rug color is not working for me. Also, seems like an odd pairing of live animal photo on the wall with an animal skin (faux or not) on the floor. Can someone photoshop with a different size/color rug?

• Kathi Steele

What about some art between the window and the switches?? That would be a great place for it. Or some of those modern shelves you had pictures of.