mtnrdredux_gw

PSA: Jegging alert

mtnrdredux_gw

Those of you who have become particularly attached to your leggings, yoga pants, athleisure etc etc... remember to wear a pair of pants that zip every few days. I did today and it occurred to me that it is good feedback! LOL

• blfenton

Yep, like the freshman 15, I do not want the Covid 19.

• 1929Spanish-GW

😂😂😂

• always1stepbehind

I wore zip up jeans today....so far so good.

• bbstx

the Covid 19 - 😂

Regretfully, I’ve picked up 2 lbs. Today is going to be a day of faithfully getting back on track. I just passed up the homemade blueberry muffins for a protein bar. It is supposed to be sunny and warm today - a good day for a walk!

• graywings123

This is the reason I get on the scales every day. It's a slippery slope.

• jmck_nc

So true!!!

• eld6161

Me too Gray. I’m up a bit as well, but the scale keeps me accountable.

• dedtired

I’m another who weighs every day. its like starting the day with a horror show. my first thing to do today is wash all my yoga pants. I’ve been digging out old LL Bean stretchy pants that are two,inches too short and extra wide at the ankle, because who cares. Today the weather is nice and I will go for a walk so I need a decent pair of pants to wear.

• Marlene Two007

My new exercise routine seems to be working. It is amazing how many calories one can burn walking to and from the refrigerator 1,228 times a day.

With regard to any zipped pants or scales, like me, they are all in isolation so I will see them i a few months.

• Sueb20

I am having a hard time really caring about how much I weigh right now. Part of it is lack of motivation to wear anything besides yoga pants and stretchy leggings. Another part is, I just don't have the mental energy to have willpower when my DD is baking every other day. The last month has just been ridiculously stressful for me, and in my irrational mind, I deserve a banana muffin with pb on top. (Mtn -- that answers your question from another thread -- banana muffins.)

At some point I will reign it in, and really, it's not like we have a lot of junky food in the house -- and we aren't going to restaurants, which is usually my downfall in terms of watching what I eat -- but...not this week.

• blfenton

Ohhh muffins. I've made 6 dozen chocolate chip cranberry cookies and I was going to make chocolate chip banana loaf but I think muffins are a good idea. They're healthy and no chocolate chips.

I weigh myself everyday as well. I'm still trail running but boy do I miss the gym and my gym friends.

• mtnrdredux_gw

Ahh, banana muffins are the best. Next time I forage I will have to remember to buy extra bananas and let some get very ripe.

We've been baking more than usual too ... remind me I have tapioca pearls soaking.

Now, where'd i put those Lululemons?

• terezosa / terriks

I'm also a daily weigher. Helps me keep one or two pounds from becoming eight or ten!

• Kswl 2

I’m baking orange cranberry scones today. It’s a def coincidence I’m wearing my pull on gardening shorts :)

• mtnrdredux_gw

Daily weighers - question for you.

In the past, I have not been a daily weigher. Partly because I am so immature. My weight fluctuates day to day what I think is kind of a lot (esp just before my period) and it just ruins my day when I have been "good" and the scale is "bad." What do you consider a normal fluctuation or is your weight pretty spot on all the time?

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM

Mtn, I grant myself a 5 pound window. If I weight 137, I try not to let it go above a target of 142 (not actual numbers for me, I only wish). If I get above that top number, I know I need to be extra careful about what is going into my mouth. If I am hoping to lose weight, I adjust the window with my progress. I find that daily weighing helps me to keep persective on the numbers. It can fluctuate, greatly, and knowing that helps me to remember that it is only a snapshot in time, not unlike a photograph. That one weight captures a moment and I should not give more importance to a single moment than necessary. It can be amazing to weight yourself, then go to the bathroom and see that you weight more afterwards. I cannot explain the phenomena but it definitely helps me to remember that weight is only one data point and it is not the most reliable one. I also try to take measurements monthly, a la Tim Ferris (His 4-Hr Body book is fascinating). I try to take the measurements the same day of every month. This has been a bit tricky though as my hormones are out of whack and that has caused the measurements to fluctuate (depressing but real).

• Bunny

I don't own a scale since my daughter made off with mine years ago. How my clothes fit tells me all I need to know.

However, I'd always thought you weren't supposed to weigh yourself everyday, once a week is better. Has that advice changed?

I expected staying home would result in my overeating. Instead I'm eyeing everything as a potential lunch or dinner and preserving what I've got. Also, when I'm stressed or worried, eating is the last thing I want to do.

• bbstx

I love @dedtired’s morning “horror show.” My metabolism is so sluggish that if I don’t weigh daily, my weight can get away from me in a flash. Five pounds is really hard for me to lose.

• cmm1964

Opposite here. I’m so on edge I have lost close to 6 lbs. This is not now i wanted to hit my goal weight and then some.

Okay kswl please share the scone recipe. I used to love Panera’s scones but over the last year or so they have really gone downhill. The last time I had one it tasted like a bisquick muffin.

Thanks in advance

• Feathers11

I weigh myself daily. My weight can fluctuate by 3-4 pounds from day to day. It's how I've learned to identify foods that cause inflammation. If I weigh 3 lbs more this morning than I did yesterday morning, it's not because of the calories I ate, but the food itself.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Some people do better with weighing once a week, others everyday. I prefer keeping up with ounces, yep, verses pounds and knowing my lowest weight with empty digestive system, and highest, big meal sluggish body, than waiting a week to find out.

I vary from 132 to 137 and like when I come in at 133-134. That means I can eat normal that day but if I weigh 135+ then it's cutting back some, usually a day or two, until the numbers come in good.

Yesterday morning was low so I had a pizza for dinner!

• terezosa / terriks

If you only weigh once a week I don't think that you get as clear a picture of where you are weight wise. Doing it daily I can track the fluctuations better and understand the patterns. And if you weigh once a week what if you step on the scales on the day that your weight has fluctuated up, or down?

I weigh myself naked first thing in the morning. The scale is next to the toilet in my bathroom.

• eld6161

I agree with Bumble. Your weight should fluctuate while on maintenance. You need to have your personal top range and rein it in when you need to.

Side story: I was five pounds under for a straight week. Who hoo! My youngest was home at the time and she would also do a daily weigh in.

We came to find out that the scale needed a battery refresh and we both screamed “Whaaaaat???” when we saw the new number.

I really should have realized because at that weigh clothes should have felt looser.

I will give myself a day off the scale now and again if I know the day before was high salt/high caloric choices.

ETA My scale is also in my master bathroom.

I do know people who weigh in once a week. And, this works for them. It has been suggested at WW from time to time.

It doesn’t work for me. I find I can easily fool myself into thinking that my choices weren’t all that bad.

And,two pounds are easier than five.

The idea is to be mindful of that day but not to beat yourself up if the scale is up.

i received advise back at my first WW meeting. A life time member said, “You know what to do, don’t make a career out of it!”

As my body has changed, I lost an inch of height, I have had to reassess. WW is very lenient in what they say is healthy weight. I think you should go by what YOU are comfortable with.

Mtn, what we have shared at WW is that sometimes there is no rhyme or reason for a gain or a lose. But, if you are truly honest, most gains are easy to figure.

BLT’s, bites, licks and tastes do add up.

• suero

I, too, have the scale next to the toilet. It's a balance scale, so no running out of batteries. I do try to weigh myself around the same time every day, and when I do so, I am reminded of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy quote: " the fabulously beautiful planet Bethselamin is now so worried about the cumulative erosion by ten billion visiting tourists a year that any net imbalance between the amount you eat and the amount you excrete while on the planet is surgically removed from your body weight when you leave: so every time you go to the lavatory there it is vitally important to get a receipt."

• dedtired

I gained five pounds at Christmas by just having some bad choices now and again. Once I have them, they stick like glue. I lost maybe two . I just cannot afford to gain a den if I go a week without weighing, I will sure,y gain. I remember my aunt saying if you gain a pound, lose a pound. I wish I’d followed that advice.

My weight fluctuates by 1.5 pounds each day.

• blfenton

I lost a lot of weigh a number of years ago and I avoid creep-up by weighing myself everyday.

I would rather concentrate on losing 1 pound than 5 pounds.

The cat and I have a routine every morning and he would be confused if he didn't have to get off the scale in order for me to weigh myself. He knows it happens after I wash my face.

• OutsidePlaying

I weigh almost every day. I do the same as others and have an upper and lower range that is acceptable. A lot depends on what we had for dinner. For example some chips and salsa and a margarita is bound to mean a couple of extra pounds for me. I just roll with it usually and try not to let the weight get above that max number.

So far I am down a couple of pounds, simply because we aren’t eating out and I have been ‘good’ about choices for breakfast and lunch. Not much snacking going on either.

• Yayagal

I haven't weighed myself for 36 years lol. I've had kidney disease since I was twelve and the fluid issues caused my weight to go up or down depending on my diet so I told my dr. never to weigh me again and she understood that it was stressful. I've never really looked fat, always wore a 10 or 12 back in the 50s, three children shot up to a size14 after they were teens back to 12 and then ten for about up till five years ago when I started to retain more fluid. I'm 81, was told I would never live to age 30 nor have children. I'm here, I'm happy and I look just fine. When my dr. retired she chose a new one for me and informed the new dr. that I would not get weighed in.

• Jinx

Had to get shorts out today. Had to get stretchy bicycle shorts out today. 😑

• blfenton

I have a margin of error so to speak and that is 5 pounds up and 3 pounds below my regular weight.

• cyn427 NoVaZone7

Mtn, I weigh daily and if I am less than about two pounds (~1 kg) above the previous day, I figure all is good. Lately (6 weeks!), I have been having knee and leg muscle issues, so haven't been walking the pup our normal 3 miles. I have already gained 5 pounds, not that I am at all heavy, but still...NOT GOOD! The doc gave me a referral to PT, but with our current situation with Covid, I haven't risked it. Sigh. I need to get back to moving, but even standing up from sitting is painful. Sheesh.

• mtnrdredux_gw

Hmm, you've all given me food for thought. And no calories. : )

• artemis_ma

I'm a weekly weigher. Too much variability to go by anything as a daily readout. Besides I remember once a week as being dieticians' advice. Keeps one from overfretting over it.

• maire_cate

I try to get on the scale daily and it hasn't kept me from putting on weight. As dedtired said - they stick! A year ago I put on 12 pounds when DH was in the hospital for 5 weeks and they'll still hanging around me.

We used to have a medical scale - no batteries, no digital read out and always accurate. My current scale is a digital one and I'm seriously considering buying another medical scale - my digital one fluctuates too much.

• daisychain01

I'm also a daily weigher, but I find there is a downfall. My added weight sometimes doesn't "show up" for a few days. So I go blithely on thinking all is fine and then boom, suddenly I'm 5 lbs up, and like others have noted, they do seem to hang on.

I went to bed hungry yesterday for the first time in ages and it felt good. I have to do that more often. So hard not to snack later in the day.

• bbstx

@daisychain01, I admire you for your discipline in going to bed hungry, but how do you do it? I don’t eat a bedtime snack, but I have noticed if dinner is particularly carb-heavy, I’ll wake up about 3 a.m. ready to gnaw the leg off the bedside table. I am so hungry, it cannot be ignored!

• maddielee

To control your weight during quarantine don’t wear leggings, wear your bathing suit.

(stolen from a meme)

• eld6161

Me too. Although I don’t usually have a hankering for a table leg, I do sneak into the kitchen for something. Crackers, a handful of cereal, or sometimes my uncurled Applegate salami slices if I need something with fat.

• bbstx

@maddielee, that is hilarious!