jacqueline_taylor18

Restoring 1928 Fireplace

Jacqueline Taylor

Hi all! Thanks to someone else’s post regarding their restoration of their old fireplace I’ve been able to use Multi Strip to get down to the original tiles! We almost gave up prior to finding that post!

However, I believe we are discovering why they decided to cover it up... the Mayan style tiles have lost their color in numerous places. We can tell the three colors they were at a deep blue, turquoise green and a dark red amber. Does anyone know the best way to fix these? We’d like to restore it as close to the original as possible. The other tiles surrounding the Mayan design I believe are California Clay Co. or possibly Batchelder tiles. Any ideas are greatly appreciate!

Additionally, there are a couple interior tiles that are crumbling. Does anyone know a way to stop it from crumbling further? I was thinking of just shellacking it to stop it?