Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_waddington25

Choosing front entry and shutter colors

Jennifer
4 years ago

We have a little red brick house, built in 1940. We need to replace our front door and shutters and are having a hard time deciding on colors.

We will likely be getting this particular door (shown in the photos), or something very similar to it. We also will be getting a new storm door, so that is shown in the photos too. For the shutters, we want to get Board & Batten style, although that is not shown here.

Here is the current exterior:

I think the shutters are black, but they're very faded.

Here are some of our ideas, but we have many options for colors (especially since we could choose to paint both door and shutters ourselves if we don't want one if the pre-painted/stained options):

("Enzian blue" door, matching shutters)

("Rustic Sage" stained door, blue shutters)

("Rustic Sage" stained door, "Prairie" shutters)

("Rustic Sage" stained door, "Canyon" shutters)

("Goldenrod" door, "Nightfall" shutters)

Does anyone have any tips/ideas?

Thank you!

Jennifer

Comments (12)

• grapefruit1_ar
    4 years ago

Your house is adorable! I think the Enzian Blue for the shutters and the door looks very nice. You can then add some touches of it on your porch with flowers, pots, chairs, etc.

Jennifer thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • PRO
    dEmios Architects
    4 years ago

I like the blue on the shutters and the door, second choice is the goldenrod door with nightfall shutters. You could also take the shutters off, just an option

Jennifer thanked dEmios Architects
  • felizlady
    4 years ago

Red brick, white trim and blue or black shutters is classic. I’d do a red red front door.

Jennifer thanked felizlady
  • Mrs. S
    4 years ago

I like blue, but I think I'd choose a bit of a brighter blue, and a fresh coat of white trim.

Jennifer thanked Mrs. S
  • Jennifer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone! Here are a couple of the ideas that were suggested:

Red door, blue shutters (could also do navy shutters but it's not an option on this simulator)

Goldenrod door, black shutters (also wondering about navy shutters with this option...)

Lighter "Geneva blue." There isn't a brighter option than this -- but again, we could just get white and paint it ourselves!

Here is one color I keep wondering about for the door if we were to paint ourselves, but now I wonder if it's not bold enough:

• flopsycat1
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Great little house! The storm door should disappear so that the door itself is the focal point.

I‘ve attached a pic of board and batten shutters, but don’t think they are appropriate for the style of your house.

You have many color choices, and I’m sure you’ll get more suggestions on this site. Be sure to post “after” pics!

• Kay Stu
    4 years ago

I like the yellow door with the black shutters, but whatever color door you do, get the storm door to match. I have seen this done and it looks much better.

• Kay Stu
    4 years ago

Also power wash the foundation if possible.

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We definitely need to power wash!! And I wondered about the idea of getting the storm door to match, but though it might look nicer with white like the trim so the door is "framed" and pops more. No? We definitely want to keep the storm door though. I know it would look much better without one, but we often leave the door open and pull the screen down on the storm door and want to be able to continue doing that.

• Kay Stu
    4 years ago

The color of the front door will make much more of a statement if the storm door matches. I figured you wanted the storm door for ventilation.

Jennifer thanked Kay Stu
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

Yes, definitely get a storm door to match. The Enzian Blue is nice, or the yellow door with black shutters. Stacey's suggestion of black planters/yellow flowers would be nice.

Jennifer thanked chloebud