Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevin_duffey98

How do I fix these unsightly floor and molding GAPS?

Kevin Duffey
4 years ago

I have a couple problems I am hoping someone can advise me on. As you can see from the pics, I have problems with two things:

1.) Gaps in my flooring, which are there because of the hot/cold and resulting expansion/contraction of my floating floor.

Upon remodeling my house, there was a smaller gap built into the floor because the workers knew that the floor would expand/contract, but it seems to have generally stayed in the same place for the past year.

We have some of these gaps on both sides of our kitchen island and I did have some flooring contractors come in recently, but they were not confident in doing the job (aka taking the floor up and re-laying it; I do have some floor leftover), because they didn't think they could fix it.

Naturally, I thought of a simpler solution, like putting something like grout on the floor to more seamlessly fill the gaps? Would that work or would it crack over time?

2.) Holes and gaps in the trim and molding. This is equally if not more bothersome and is the result of inexperienced contractors, obviously.

How can I fix these without hiring folks to return and bungle the job again? Is there a paste or something I can get to re-shape over the molding?

Comment (1)