Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dylan_seldal

Can I bring these back to life?

Dylan Seldal
4 years ago

I just purchased this property a few months ago the previous owner said the emerald green Arborvitae shrubs got bag warms bad and turned alm completely brown anything I can do to bring them back?

Comments (10)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Sorry, no. That is very - as in completely - dead!

• Dylan Seldal
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

That’s what I thought but had wishful thinking

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    4 years ago

plus.. they are ruining the view of the truck ... lol ... be done with it asap ...

if you want some ideas what to do there.. give us a pic of two of the general area ... without the truck ... and include location ... big city name ...

i suspect this plant had bigger problems than just bagworm ... and you might find out about that.. when you pull or dig it out ... as in no root growth beyond the shape of the pot the tree was in when planted ... just a WAG ...

welcome to the forums.. ken

• Dylan Seldal
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for your help!! I’m located in Springfield MO

4 years ago

a landscape begins with a stated GOAL ... and when you can state such ... then we can help you decide what to plant.. if anything ...

i wonder what the prior owner was thinking with all that stone .. though i do like the huge rock ...

i wonder how that line of conifers... arbs.. looked in regard to the rest of the neighborhood ...

i also note... they were planted to close to the pavement ... and wonder if that lead to stress.. which lead the majority of the line of them to fail .. frying due to the retained and reflected heat ...

not to mention there was no real plant..... that these conifers.. trees.. never really stop growing.. and soon enough.. would have been over the driveway.. scratching cars.. and making it hard to open the vehicles doors ...

what do you want there.. to accomplish what ... and why ... whats your goal ...

in other words .. all that said ... you do not have to live with the prior owners mistakes.. and it might be time to make your own mistakes... lol ...

ken

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

^^ Really?? That is overstating the case a bit! Arbs are planted alongside concrete driveways all the time with absolutely no ill effects. And that includes both reflected heat and proximity to the drive. There is a limit to the spread and depending on cultivar, all you need is at least 2' clearance, although 3' would be a safer distance.

I also have no issue with the stone with respect to the arbs either, although a stone or gravel mulch is more difficult to maintain well.

From the look of the dead ones, I would assume the previous owners planted them prior to marketing the house for sale and provided minimal aftercare, including adequate watering. That and the bagworms probably signed their death warrant.

• Embothrium
    4 years ago

If the planting site ever had any recurring periods where water puddled around the now dead ones and lingered there that could have eventually killed them, as 'Smaragd' is more susceptible to root rot than usual.

4 years ago

yes really ...

there is absolutely no reason a new owner needs to maintain or keep the prior owners nonsense ... period ...

and the prior owner probably made mistakes causing the failure ... so why should this guy have to deal with it ... they were either poor cheap end of season stock ... improperly planted ... or lacked proper aftercare ...

the stone comment was personal opinion.. to which i am entitled.. and the point was.. does it fit in with the general neighborhood ... perhaps a white stripe of rock from the house to the curb.. is just stupid ... lol ... i dont know because i cant see the 'hood ....

ken

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Just to make sure we are talking apples and apples, there is nothing nonsensical about the placement (close to drive but NOT too close) or the use of the rock/gravel. Both are reasonable choices based on location and/or personal preference. The only thing potentially nonsensical is maintaining the dead plants. But there is nothing that precludes them being replaced with others similar....the arb closest to the big boulder appears to be doing fine!!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting