Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sam_md

BAGWORM WAR :-@

sam_md
6 years ago

We've seen the little beggars, their favorite victims are arborvitaes, junipers, spruce, pine and on and on. We see the bags hanging all over the host plants. Surely no one on this forum has bagworms, we keep our plants free from insect pests, right? Knowing something about the life cycle is an important part to understand when controlling insect pests. It only takes one bag with eggs in it to overwinter on your plant and you have an infestation. When they first hatch they can travel via the wind but afterwards they start making the bag, very little traveling. (females are wingless) They are actively growing and eating in May, June and early July and they can be controlled with something like Thuricide. After they mature inside the bag they stop eating and spraying will not control them. Pull them off by hand and squeeze them.

PULL THEM OFF BY HAND, DON'T CUT THEM OFF

Don't be a weenie, pull them off by hand and squeeze them to kill the worm inside. Can you see the bag in the pic below? Notice how well camouflaged they are? My ancient Hinoki Cypress was so big, I couldn't reach all the bags even on a ladder.

Thuricide is labled for leafeating caterpillars like bagworms. Vegetable gardeners are familiar with it because they use it for cabbage and similar plants. It contains Bacillus thuringiensis. It is senseless to "nuke" the whole plant with another insecticide when Thuricide will do the trick. The host plants named above are also homes for many beneficial insect & birds. It will wash off in the rain so plan to repeat spray, maybe 3 or more times.

Interesting, I have never seen bagworms in a wild setting, only in a cultivated setting.

Go over your plants carefully, move the branches around and get every single bag, otherwise you will have an infestation next year.

Do you know of any natural predators of bagworm?

Comments (7)

• 123cococo
    6 years ago

Thank you for posting this.I have moved to an area infested with them.

• plantkiller_il_5
    6 years ago

they don' pull off easily

kinda cool how their camouflage looks different on different plants

KILL,,,ron

• Garen Rees
    6 years ago

Good post. Don't miss a single one or you will have hell to pay the next year. A single bag left unchecked will overwinter 300-1000 eggs to hatch the next year.

I am currently fighting this war and it's not fun especially when you have a large yard. I meticulously hand picked them off of almost every tree in my yard last year. I hate squishing them but my chickens won't eat them =). I spent every day after work hunting them and I have developed quite the eagle eye now. I have found them feeding on everything from conifers to maples and just about anything that has leaves. When they spread, good luck on reaching them in high trees. That's the predicament I'm currently in.

last year I thought that I had got them all until I looked high into the large blue spruce in my yard. There were quite a few that I just could not reach with my ladder and sprayer. I'm screwed. The tree wasn't looking the best so I figured I would make the sacrifice, cut down the large tree, and burn it. Well, I'm a dumb ass and never got around to doing it and now I have 10 times as many bag worms as last year.

Dipel or Thuricide (not a chemical but a natural bacterium Bacillus thuringiensis or BT) must be ingested by the bag worms and is most effective on new larvae when they first emerge. They are more resilient when they get larger. Those silk bags are tough and protect them from everything including predators and insecticides. Quite a smart system they have going. =(

I thought I could save the big blue spruce by using a systemic approach with Imidacloprid that would be absorbed by the trees roots and then circulated into the leaves and needles which would be able to reach the bag worms up high. So far I have applied this once with no effect. All the bag worms are still munching away, moving about, and giggling at me. It has been a month since I treated the tree. I may go for another round and see what happens.

Sam, how did you take care of the ones you can't reach with the sprayer?

Sorry for the long rant. I'm just having a heck of a time.

• Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

When used on trees, it can take 30–60 days to reach the top (depending on the size and height) and enter the leaves in high enough quantities to be effective.

Quoted from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imidacloprid (scroll down the page)

• KennsWoods
    6 years ago

Bagworm infestations are common in the wild here, we're loaded with native redcedar trees. The pests are cyclical, heavy infestations occur every 10-15 years, but they are present in various numbers every year. In heavy years large tree sized redcedars are mostly or completely defoliated and usually die. Leylands, which are commonly planted here are also attacked. I've never seen any on green giants, which are rapidly becoming the go-to tree for screening here. Fortunately they don't reach populations like gypsies and their tastes are much more restricted.

• sam_md
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Sam, how did you take care of the ones you can't reach with a sprayer?

I leaned a step ladder into the tree and climbed up. This is a large, wide Hinoki Cypress w/o a central leader so it was precarious. I got them all but I know I will have to check again.

Previously I thought only the newly hatched caterpillars did the traveling, I think that is not entirely true. Here is one clinging to a wall no where close to a host plant. It is near a parking lot.

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus