Software
Houzz Logo Print
karinpt

Need help finding a fireplace and surround.

6 years ago


We are moving our fireplace from the Northeast corner location of our family room to center it on the North wall between two windows. The North wall currently has two windows next to each other and the corner fireplace was extended over the third spot. We are going to move the 2nd window to the 3rd spot and then center a new fireplace between the two windows. We have already taken out the corner fireplace as well as the huge built-in entertainment center on the East wall. The fireplace we removed is like new but way too large to center it between the windows.

My dilemma is that I need to find a surround no wider than 60" to 66" total for it to fit between the two windows and also a new fireplace that will fit in the surround. I really want to find a fireplace that doesn't show a lot of black metal around it. This photo shows exactly what I want but shipping on this particular one to Denver, Colorado is cost prohibitive.




I sketched a rough plan showing the layout although I have since decided that the fireplace will have a bump-out chimney on the exterior as well as an interior bump out or it would look strange on the exterior. I think I need at least 6" of stacking space for the drapes so the fireplace can't extend all the way to the window trim. The interior fireplace bump-out wont need to be as deep now since I'm planning an exterior bump-out although the fireplace can be as deep as we need it to be as none of this is built yet. I have already considered replacing the two windows that will flank the fireplace with slightly narrower ones but they are huge windows (expensive!) and match the three windows on the West wall. The corner fireplace took up that whole corner where the chair/ottoman is drawn and it was extremely awkward for furniture placement!


North side exterior, window would move to left, where corner fireplace was and mostly covered by tree. ;)


Comments (2)