Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baker_griffith

Should I Prune My Persian Lime?

Baker Griffith
4 years ago

Hey guys,

I am new here. I started gardening last season and have been building more and more interest ever since. Being that we're stuck at home during this quarantine, I have been extra busy with my gardening. That being said, I bought a Persian lime tree last season (about 16" tall at the time) and I am trying to figure out if I need to be pruning it to ensure it grows into a proper tree. It has about doubled in size over the past year and is growing and looks healthy to me. However, neat the soil, it has a split which sends about half of the growth to each size. Is this ideal? I see everyone else's lime trees that have a straight up shoot to a bushy tree top. It might be too late to achieve this shape, but i wanted to post here to see if I could do anything as of now. All the research I did yielded information about pruning tall, mature trees that are bearing fruit. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (10)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

No not prune. Your tree needs to grow more before pruning.

• Baker Griffith
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So will it continue to grow like that with a split toward the soil or will it somehow develop a straighter shoot? I want it to look like a tree and it seems to want to grow horizontal...

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have several citrus trees like yours that are fine but will never have a straight trunk. Those trunks are there and in position. cutting them back lower than the branches to encourage a straight shoot would set the tree back 2 to 3 years if it didn't kill it. Your tree has artistic beauty to is structure.

Steve

• Baker Griffith
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Do you happen to have any pictures for reference of what it might look like when bigger?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

Meiwa kumquat from seeds died 4 years ago
    New Zealand lemonade on Seville sour orange roots.

Not a straight trunk anywhere.

Steve

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    4 years ago

It's your choice really. You can probably leave the lime as a twiggy shrub. Let it follow its natural inclination.

Or you can train it as a standard limbed-up tree with a trunk. Training as a limbed up tree will take much longer, of course. You'd have to select one limber branch to become the upright trunk, and tie it to a stake...gradually tightening the ties over a month or two until it is vertical. Remove all the lower branches. Crop off the top and it should branch out higher up.

In the photo below, the yellow represents the branch selected to be the new trunk. The red lines indicate branch removal. You're not going to like how it looks for a while, but it will get you to your goal eventually -- if that's what you prefer.

Keep in mind that tree-form plants are more top-heavy and must be lashed to a railing or some structure so they don't blow over in winds.

Baker Griffith thanked Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

Nice diagram Dave.

Steve

• Baker Griffith
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the replies, guys! So if I follow Dave's suggestions, would I end up with a straight-ish trunk over time, or is it forever going to be kind of zigg-zaggy? I'm so hesitant to go chopping away at the branches but this is going to sit on my patio and I want it to look like a tree as opposed to a scraggly bush. Nothing wrong with that, just my preference is all. once again, thanks for all the info!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    4 years ago

As I mentioned, you'll have to apply pressure to the trunk over weeks to months in order to straighten it. The arrows in my diagram represent the direction they need to be trained/pulled. Hardest one will be the kink at the bottom, but over time it can be reduced. Once you find an appropriate stake, it shouldn't take much work. Heck you don't even HAVE to cut off the other branches. Just Train the leader.

Or just leave the plant to do what it wants. Let it be a bush.