Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrhayes04

Sansevieria Velvet touch

J. Clark
4 years ago

I think the plant circled in red in sansevieria cylindrica velvet touch. I was very intrigued by it and began doing research but find little to no information on it other than some places where I can buy it. I understand the tips are dipped in a special paint that resembles "velvet" when touched. I wanted to find this paint for a DIY but can't find it anywhere. Maybe its a patented formula? Does anyone have any additional information?

Comments (17)

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
    4 years ago

more like a nightmare.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I'd try an art supply store, or if one can still find one, a real, honest to goodness hardware store.

Or, If you can find such a plant to buy w/ a label, call its distributor & ask them.

• J. Clark
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@kawii cactus@stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a I read that because the shoots are at their maturity and the paint is a dense water based paint, that this isn't harmful to the plant... it's just for aesthetics. You may not like the look of it and that is fine but why don't you educate me why you felt the need to reply with your snarky comments. Isn't that what these forums are for? To provide information and not to hide behind your keyboard with your obvious wealth of plant knowledge? Please humor me and elaborate.

4 years ago

To each his own, but whenever I see painted plants I can't help but cringe.

• jstropic (10a)
    4 years ago

I agree with SLD. Please don`t take offense, but coming to a plant site and asking how to paint a plant is a little like going to a vegan site and asking how to cook meat :) Hopefully you will take this well and find what you are looking for. Good luck.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    4 years ago

I'm a creative type so I'm seeing this through that perspective.

Pls read the Q again, he's expressing interest in the PAINT, he said for a DIY project. He didn't say anything about using it on a plant.

" I wanted to find this paint for a DIY but can't find it anywhere. "

4 years ago

Easy to make the assumption when he/she pictured a painted plant and asked about it on a plant forum.

• Robdb8
    4 years ago

I don't know that anybody answered his question as to why paint on a plant could be bad. To me, the paint would disrupt the plant's ability to photosynthesize and breathe. I work at Lowe's and see plants come in all the time with paint on them to make them more "appealing" but I can't stand looking at them. Besides, when the plant grows, the paint goes. As for the locating of the paint, good luck, I'm pretty sure this may be done overseas. You could ask someone at the paint desk though, it might just be something added to the paint for the texture effect.

• J. Clark
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks all. Not offended at all, unlike some others here clearly all. Found two at a local plant store today and purchased them (shame on me!!) I am very happy with them!

@jstropic (10a) Not sure how you could compare this to vegan and cooking meat unless the paint kills the plant... which no one here has been able to answer. In fact, there are several young, fresh shoots sprouting. I imagine the paint will eventually wear off, which is just fine. I also wouldn't call Houzz a plant site when it is clearly a home design, decorating and remodeling site but whatever.

Stay safe and well!

4 years ago

Huh, all this time I was under the impression that the cactus and succulent forum was a plant forum, when it really is a design and decorating forum. Silly me.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    4 years ago

Wendy, I'm sure the owners of HOUSE would like just that to be the groupthink.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    4 years ago

J. Clark, no one is hiding behind their keyboard. Did you perhaps mistake this plant site for something else?

• James _J
    4 years ago

My guess is that it is dipped in glue then dipped in some kind of fuzzy material.

• SoCal Stewart (San Diego, Ca Zone 10A/10B)
    4 years ago

Did you try a craft store to find that paint? Like a Michael’s or Hobby Lobby? Most Walmarts that I’ve seen usually have a craft section, too.

Good lick with your search. Keep us posted.

• KarenS, NYC
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

As I suggested earlier above:

"I'd try an art supply store, or if one can still find one, a real, honest to goodness hardware store."

KarenS.

• C V
    3 years ago

J. Clark can you please tell us the exact make for the paint you found? I want to give it a try! By the way, I have a plant for 3 years and it looks healthy and great! Thank you!