Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skorport

Help making our bathroom nicer

Carol Walport
3 years ago

I rent an older NYC apartment that I love but the bathroom is old and I'm at a lost of how to make it better. The main things I'm trying to figure out are: how to cover up the weird pipe covering in the back right corner (first and second photos) and what to put under my sink (to replace the cabinet that doesn't fit, third photo) so we get both some storage and a little bit of counter space. Any other recommendations also welcomed!

Comments (13)

• Mounika Reddy
    3 years ago

You can try covering the pipe with adhesive wall paper.

• Carol Walport
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! Is there a brand / type that you know of that works well in humid rooms?

• Susan Davis
    3 years ago

I don’t know if you want to cover it? Is it a cold air return or some type of ventilation! Maybe a black and white farmhouse look?

• happyleg
    3 years ago

Add a plant to your bathroom so take your focus off the other's stuff and I agree what the lady said just above me

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

I don't know if you can find already built for the size you need, or maybe it would be best to get custom made, a piece to fit under sink with pull out storage and shelving.

• houssaon
    3 years ago

I agree, don't cover up the holes. Who knows why it is there. Get some metal paint to clean it up. I don't think you can do much better that what you have now, since the tub is in the way.

• FL Person
    3 years ago

I don't know how long the OP has lived in this apartment but plenty of older NYC buildings use steam pipes for space heating. In other words, there is an exposed pipe that is heated with steam and in turn, heats the room.

I'm guessing but behind that perforated metal could likely be a steam pipe and if so, the perforation obviously should not be covered.

Assuming the OP has lived in the apartment for more than a few months, I'd assume she'd know if this is the case in her bathroom. Steam pipes get very hot.

The heat should be off by now and the metal can be stripped/prepped and repainted.

• Kate
    3 years ago

Caulk and paint will go a long way.

• kathleen MK
    3 years ago

For painting that metal grill you will need appliance epoxy paint that is heat resistant. I know Rustoleum makes a black one for BBQ grills. I think their white and metallic color could take the heat and humidity too. Target had some metal under sink drawers. With your sink a skirt could hide those or even plastic stacking bins. To make a skirt use stick on velcro and some short curtains or cut up a good thick vinyl table cloth.( I use packing tape to make and hem these to go under my art room counters, they are easy to clean with student spills.)
    For more storage use command hooks and baskets on the tile wall by the sink or any shower storage with suction cups. Also there are lots of over the door racks with shelves and hooks for towels. There are even shower curtains with storage pockets. Look where they have stuff for kids' rooms or dorm stuff.
    Like another post, I think the best ways to bright this space would be bright towels and bath mat. Add some life and air purifying with a plant on the window. One set of cafe curtains could give you a valance (Use a tension rod) for the window and a matching skirt for the sink.

• Maureen
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Suggest prepping metal grill and with metal appropriate paint use the same grey in tile so it blends in.

Looking at wasted area above toilet - you could remove blind and add a cute window film to allow for shelving/storage. One below is available on Etsy, but this could be an easy DIY for a custom fit

Is there room above sink for a medicine cabinet? Below sink you could Look for a wooden shelving unit and add wheels so it’s easily pulled out. See below how a piece was cut out to accommodate drain pipe. Add baskets for organization and aesthetics.

Are you allowed to paint the tub? It would be really cute and add a complimentary shower curtain.

Move items you don’t use often to your linen closet, organize and add a door shelving unit as well. If needed, move sheets and blankets to a storage bin that fits under a bed.

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

Can you pull the cabinet out from under the sink and get down low enough to take a picture close to straight on of the area underneath?

I agree with others about the perforated metal. Rustoleum does make a high heat white paint you could use to spray paint it. Just use some steel wool to clean up as much paint as possible and tape off the surrounding area before you spray it. You'll probably need a few light coats.

I like the idea of a privacy film then adding shelves inside the window for a bit of extra storage. You could also have a wood floating shelf built (I've seen them on Etsy) to slip over the two soap dishes to give yourself some extra counter space.

It looks like your sink needs to be re-caulked as well. All that caulk could be pulled out and re-applied in a much more attractive way.

• calidesign
    3 years ago

Instead of trying to use the tiny space under the sink, I would try to find an over the door hanging storage rack to use on the backside of the bathroom door.

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs