Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corky519

design help small master bedroom

corky519
4 years ago

What should I do to make my bedroom more current? The furniture and headboard have to stay. Everything else can go. What decor am I able to keep? What should I get rid of? Any suggestions are welcome!!!

Comments (28)

• always1stepbehind
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Can you mount the mirror on the wall? I'd remove the wall thing over the headboard. And do you need that chair in the corner??

• plf12652
    4 years ago

Have you tried the bed where the dresser is, facing windows? Then dresser beside windows.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

It's a pretty room. I would suggest taller lamps, replacing the decor over the bed with artwork, pulling the chair out of the corner (it seems stuffed in there) and adding a bed scarf across the end of your bed to add break up the white a bit, as well as hanging the mirror.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Just "brainstorming" to see basic placement, using what you have -- I'm interested in seeing something to repeat the amount of window shapes on left, behind nightstand -

could place large mirror [or one over the bed - to see a visual].

My thought is to try nothing over the bed, if something is at left /as said, more striking taller lamp.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Whimsy - can't help myself. ;)

"Where To Next" Indoor Throw Pillow by OneBellaCasa, 14"x20" · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/where-to-next-indoor-throw-pillow-by-onebellacasa-14x20-prvw-vr~94684309

• loobab
    4 years ago

Hi corky-

What a great idea to use this enforced stay-at-home to feather our nests!

You have a few things going on here, not all of which go with each other.

I will make some suggestions, but first, please know they are suggestions, not criticisms.

I am not sure the color of the headboard goes with the color of the wall, although admittedly I don't always see true colors on my laptop.

The internet abounds with patterns for this.

I would suggest using a machine washable/dryable fabric and wash and dry the heck out of the fabric first to pre-shrink it, even if you are going to give it to a seamstress or upholsterer to sew up for you.

Your imagination is the limit, you can have piping in any color, you can have initials or motifs embroidered, let your imagination run wild.

If the wall color is what the rest of your house is painted in and you love it and want to keep it, I would suggest making a cover for your headboard in a different color in a solid or a print., and try to have your bed accent pillows coordinate with your wall color.

It is less expensive to purchase pillow covers than repaint your wall.

You might also consider larger pillows for your bed such as Euro squares which are 25" x 25" made of a dense foam which are very comfortable to put behind the regular pillows when you are sitting up in bed against the headboard. Shams are sold for these size pillows.

Is their sufficient room over your low dresser to hang the mirror vertically?

If so, please hang the mirror vertically, to the left side of the dresser. On the right side of the mirror depending on the space, you can hang either artwork or a a decorative bracket on which you can put a candle stick, flowering plant, a vase, or an objet d'art.

If there is not enough vertical space over the dresser, you can hang the mirror vertically on the wall where you have the photos now low enough to use to see yourself in clothing. Or you can use it (vertically) in the dining room over a buffet.

On the right side of your dresser I would put your wedding photo on the right side of your dresser with a smaller mat in a lovely frame. I don't what the other photos are that are grouped together with your wedding photo on the well. If they are appropriate for a bedroom you can place them next to your wedding photo on your dresser, also in frames with smaller mats. (No parents (not yours or your partners in your bedroom!)

You can find something better for over your bed, either a print or original artwork or a three dimensional piece of art or a craft piece such as textile art that speaks to you and your partner.

Take down what you have and leave the space blank and don't be in a rush to fill up every blank space and live with the empty space for a while.

I can't tell the dimensions of the room, but have you thought about moving the bed 90 degrees so the foot of the bed faces the window and the heating vent, and then sliding the dresser further down the wall? That will give more room on both sides of the bed with no one being blasted by heat or A/C from the vents. You might also (depending on the dimensions of the room) have place for a chair on the wall where the photos are hung now.

I would suggest having only one photo of you as a couple and one photo of the children in the bedroom. The rest should be relaxing artwork and objets.

You can have photo albums (hands on or electronic) or a wall in a hallway for family photos.

The master bedroom should be a calm relaxing sanctuary and give you the feeling you get when you go into an upscale spa retreat.

• tangerinedoor
    4 years ago

The ceiling is very low, and there are a lot of horizontal lines in the accessories and furniture. You need some things that send the eye upward instead of making it stop half way up the wall. The room seems very busy wit the accessories, and then there's a blank canvas where the white bedspread is.

I guess I think in general, the room needs balance.

Maybe something tall in the corner where that chair is. A very large frondy plant would work.

Also, pull the nightstands more away from the bed. Right now, the furniture looks so scrunched up: let it breeeeeaaaaaathe. Space!

If the room is just for you, you could eliminate a night stand. Again, space.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I like the flooring/rug. You need new bedding and to remove all the current decor. Lamps/table heights should look like this chart shows.. Chunky tables call for chunky lamps and the headboard is too short. Is the dresser full, or can it be eliminated?

• PRO
    Build Beautiful
    4 years ago

Hi

If you'd like to share an ideabook here on houzz with pieces you can buy at your discretion - hit me up on my profile.

If you're looking for a more custom / comprehensive solution, the below video shows a low cost option for doing so.

Thanks,

-frank

Build Beautiful Homes

• always1stepbehind
    3 years ago

Nice wall color. The other color wasn't bad but now seeing the new paint, looks so nice and soft.

• corky519
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you! Now i need to learn how to be simple.

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

What do you want to accomplish next?

• corky519
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m not sure. I need major help. I need the wall over my bed fixed. I’m thinking leaving it plain and have a large picture (almost as big as the mirror) to the left of my headboard.

• corky519
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It’s a small room. Not many options.

• katinparadise
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I would keep it simple. Add larger lamps to the nightstands, hang the mirror over the dresser, find art you love to go over the bed and pick one of the colors from the art for accent pillows. I love your rug-I would put that back. What type of art do you like?

• corky519
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It’s funny you mention the rug. I put it up for sale on Facebook market. It was too busy for the room. I think i will not have a rug at all. Keep it as simple as i can? Thoughts?
    Thank you so much for the suggestions!! For artwork i was thinking of a fern.

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

I like a rug in a bedroom but if you don't want one, that's certainly your option. You can always add one later.

Are you thinking of adding green to the room with the fern print then? Maybe something like this?

Maybe you could add brass lamps to the nightstands?

https://www.target.com/p/linus-brass-column-table-lamp-set-of-2-includes-energy-efficient-light-bulb-safavieh/-/A-16674394

• Bluebell66
    3 years ago

I don’t think i would hang something large to the left of the headboard. I like loobab's ideas for hanging the mirror over the dresser and adding some art to the right of the mirror. And then live with it for a while and see what you think before adding anything else to the walls. Why? Because it is (a) a bedroom and (b) small.......you don’t want to fill it with a bunch of stuff. It should be restful and calm. But the bottom line is that it’s yours, and you should do what you like.

• Snaggy
    3 years ago

Room looked OK to start with !

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

I think it's fine on the left side. Maybe just scoot the dresser down a few inches to the right. I'm not sure the chair is exactly right for the rest of the room. You do need something small but maybe something not so casual.

• Bluebell66
    3 years ago

I don’t think the chair is right. Can you hang a complete outfit in the closet or a bathroom? Do you need decorative pillows? If you do, instead of the chair in the corner, maybe put a basket there to contain them. BUT.....more can be less. I used to think I needed decorative pillows, but have decided we do not, even though we have the space to store them at night. I’m really liking the look of the bed with just our sleeping pillows. We are embracing simple. ;)

• Susan Davis
    3 years ago

I think you have the best layout for the room! I would get some linen type curtains that related to the headboard in color and texture; the headboard looks lonely, and hang panels on both ends of the window and use one continuous curtain rod that is one inch wide in diameter; you need weight I think, in Oil Rubbed Bronze, and gather the curtains on rods at each end, two panels on each end nice and fat and full. One panel will hang behind the nightstand but that is OK. Art work centered over the headboard that has some of the neutral colors to relate to the room and then bolder colors for pizazz and interest.

Move your bed over to the left just an inch or two then go buy fat lamps that are as tall as the headboard or a bit higher. Put them on the nightstands.

Hang your mirror over the dresser so the bottom is 5-7 inches above the dresser; hang it vertically as suggested on one side of dresser and pretty colorful lamp on other side of dresser and can be different color or a metal that works with nightstand lamps....it should relate to the picture colors possibly.....what do you think? Keep us posted.....

• corky519
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@susan Davis thank you so much for the detailed response!!! In regards to the artwork over the bed, should i look for one picture, two, three? What should I put in the corner instead of the chair? It’s just a boring little corner.

• Susan Davis
    3 years ago

Artwork should be about 2/3 width of bed; queen bed is 60 inches so go for something around 40 inches wide? Can be one or two pictures, but one big pic is generally easier to hang etc. Target, Ross, World Market, TJ Maxx all have nice big art that might work....just look for cream not ultra white in the art; and if it makes your hear sing, go for it......any type would probably work in the room....the corners will get taken are of.

Get the bed and nightstands in place and curtains hung, (check out Houzz.com or youtube to see how and where to hang curtains before you go shopping so you have an idea of what is what)

This room has oil rubbed bronze curtains with long curtains, check for your room, large print over the bed, check, lamps are taller than headboard, which is a look you want, check and you could do lamps in your chosen accent color, cream, silver, brass.

Falmouth Residence · More Info

first and see if you like it; one decision generally means you might have two options or none for the next decision....the curtains will frame the room and soften the window angles and if the curtain color is similar to headboard it will give the room a more cohesive look; you want items to look like they go together....even when not a perfect match; avoid perfect match, rather blend is better I think.

Here is another room.....large dark curtain rod, curtains hung behind bed and nightstand as an example.

Amagansett Beach Retreat · More Info

Quirky corner decor and corner windows with interesting curtain placement......lamps same height as headboard counting finials! Nicely made bed that relates to wall color; an idea you might consider if you cannot find curtains to match head board....a lot of cool ideas in room you might want to consider.....love the tiny chair in front of the plant stand.....

Oakland Master Bedroom · More Info

PS I went to more info for this picture and it seemed that the client had the sheets already and matched/blended the paint color to the sheets.....so another custom look for little investment.....fun room with quirky corner! Good luck.

• HU-25760477
    3 years ago

• loobab
    3 years ago

Love your new paint color, great job!!

• Susan Davis
    3 years ago

Ditto!