Software
Houzz Logo Print
jmbrinker

Exterior Updates Suggestions!

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We just finished an interior renovation on our house and we're getting ready to update the exterior. We're trying to keep it fairly modest ($6000 for a new roof and another 1-2 or so for the rest of the updates). We updated with black hardware inside and we can't/don't need to update our windows but we would be interested in black/dark gray accents or other colors that would work with the brick. I'm really hoping the keep the brick as is because I think the red is a beautiful color.

We have a detached garage that is also brick with white trim and white garage doors.

Main concerns:

  • How to update the porch - paint or new rails
  • What color scheme for the roof and trim
  • Door color - front and side
  • Garage doors (sorry I don't have a picture)
  • What to do with the awning over the side door - we're thinking add a small roof there when we have the roof replaced. There's also a large one in the back.
  • We would love ideas on landscaping, I have created a post about it separately.

Our interior style is sort of modern/transitional, with some modern and modern farmhouse looks and we'd like to keep that look on the exterior. But we're open to any suggestions! And appreciate any advice! Our house was built in 1954.







Comments (19)

  • 6 years ago

    I would first remove the two large bushes in front of the house. You should replace the current railings and posts with white wood ( or vinyl) spindles. The same should be placed on the side entry.


    I think a cute fabric awning would be great above the side door. Then as the budget allows I would get a professional landscape/hardscape plan that can be implemented over time.

    jmbrinker thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • 6 years ago

    jmbrinker thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks, I've been considering a fabric awning but couldn't find great pictures when I originally looked but do like this one.

  • 6 years ago

    Don't paint the brick, please.

    The awning over the side door would be more attractive. I would paint the iron railing black.

    Get a weathered wood or light charcoal roof. Paint the trim and window surrounds a light tan or gray depending on the roof color. Paint the front door a bright color.

    Fix the concrete so that it is level and there are no cracks.

  • 6 years ago

    Wow, that looks great, it really makes a difference to actually see the front of our house without those bushes. The one on the right especially is really ugly but we’re just not sure what else to our there. Maybe nothing is the way to go!

  • 6 years ago

    I really like the cedar idea, but still wondering how to finish off things like the white trim. Should we bring the cedar look in with other accents? Would a dark gray work instead of the white?

  • 6 years ago

    I like what celery girl did. Maybe with a charcoal trim instead?

    Replace your awning with a metal awning- this is prefab and affordable


    https://awntech.com/shop/awnings/fixed-awnings/metal/houstonian-awning/




  • 6 years ago

    That’s a great awning. And then doing the same color trim around would be really nice.

  • 6 years ago

    I like the cedar posts on the front to replace the metal railing and posts but I think the metal rail by your side door is good...paint it black

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    love what celery did. it's perfect.

    do a grayl roof, and dark gray trim along the fascia. BM Wrought Iron.

    you can do white elsewhere if you like , or stick w/the dark gray






    you could always add cedar by replacing the fence off to the far right. cedar will need to have a coat of a UV protectant, otherwise it will turn gray.

    Try Penofin oil, Marine finish in the cedar color

  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I tried rendering bronze/gray window trim, was not looking good.

  • 6 years ago

    celery girl, you are so talented. I always love your mock ups.

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks celerygirl, that looks awesome. Does anyone know if I can paint vinyl, and if not how to work the white windows in with black accents elsewhere?

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    jm, they say painting the vinyl w/a dark color doesn't work very well. But you could give it a try. since they are somewhat inset, it may not fade as fast.

    maybe do a wood trim around the window in black?

  • 6 years ago

    I like the idea of the dark wood trim! If it’s becomes not a possibility then maybe we can work white into other areas. Thanks!

  • 6 years ago

    Yes dark wood trim- takes on the same look as black windows

    Here’s an example I have for my own project

    (nothing like your house but shows the dark trim and white windows)


  • 6 years ago

    katie, that house needs this garage door and lights


  • 6 years ago