Software
Houzz Logo Print
alyssa_vache

Long shot—Phal ID?

6 years ago

Hi everyone! It’s sure been a while since I’ve logged in, life just gets in the way sometimes. But now I have ample free time, being out of work, and I’m back to see everyone’s beautiful plants!


I purchased this Phal from Lowe’s some time ago, and currently it’s blooming. 14 flowers on a branching spike, with another branch making its way out as we speak. I’ve never seen one quite like it, as it’s flowers are sort of ruffled and thinner than typical Phals, and the spotting is different.


Anyone have any guesses?


Comments (10)

  • 6 years ago

    There are just too many. Heaven knows the name. I assume it didn't come with a tag.


    Jane

  • 6 years ago

    Hi Jane!

    i actually posted this in the orchid subreddit as well, and I got a message from someone saying they got one that looked very similar and had a tag. It is Phal. Anthura Manhattan :)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    This post highlights a little problem. It costs Ten English pounds to register an orchid name which is a lot of money for some in countries where the exchange rate is unfavourable.

    So we get many beautiful orchids grown for the florist trade with no or unregistered names.

    Doesn't matter all that much, if you took your orchid to an orchid society meeting, it would be judged. The only restriction is that you would not be able to get a quality award from The American Orchid Society.

    If I was typing up the results, I just look up the RHS Site. I never get names from google.

    Searching the RHS Database for Phalaenopsis Anthura gives two results, but not Anthura Manhattan

    below is the result for Anthura Manchester

    Anthura Manchester

    Synonym Flag

    This is not a synonym

    Registrant Name

    J.& M.Lattimore

    Originator Name

    Anthura

    Date of registration

    01/10/2010

    Pollen And Seed parent

    Unknown

    So Anthura might be the name of the nursery or the owner of the nursery where your orchid was bred.


    Added via edit. There are at least 27316 registered Hybrid Phalaenopsis Hybrid names! What is the point of having this enormous register?

    Find correct names from faded or broken tags where part of the name is visible.

    You might like to do some orchid breeding, you can check if the orchids you are thinking have been used before and whether or not the results were promising.

  • 6 years ago

    Hi! I have this phal, it’s very popular in Europe. And the name is Manhattan.

  • 6 years ago

    Here it is (it is my personal plant). 27 seconds video of it. https://youtu.be/UrFV-dfNjrI

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you so much!

  • 6 years ago

    Btw, it is fertile. I used phal Philishill as pollen parent and right now Manhattan is growing a seed pod.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Phalaenopsis Philishill is listed in the orchid hybrid register kept in the UK. Phalaenopsis Manhattan is not.

    Is is not all that important if you just want a grow a few orchids, but maybe more important if you join an orchid society and show your orchids or even sell some to the public.

    We all have lots of unknowns. lost the tag ,or the tag faded in the sun and so on. It is very annoying that so many of those beautiful Phalaenopsis orchids for sale in florist shops or supermarkets are unknown.

  • 6 years ago

    I love your Phal! I don’t buy the large growth phals anymore, but if I found this one, you bet I’d choose to own/grow it!


Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations