Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobstrauss

Vines for Afternoon Sun? (Central Texas)

bobstrauss
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Anyone have any recommendations for vines that can take scorching afternoon sun and not have major issues? I planted several five gallon star/confederate jasmines last year, in a spot that gets morning shade but then afternoon sun from about 1-7 pm. With this latest heat wave they look awful, tons of leaf drop and scorched leaves, even with extra watering.

Any vines out there for Central Texas that can handle locations like this well?

Comments (31)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    3 years ago

Yes! My very favorite: Coral vine. A native of Mexico, it's very drought and heat tolerant. It freezes back in winter, but quickly returns in the spring. The stems are brittle after it dies back so it's easy to pull down out of trees or off of fences and discard. Most of what is sold in nurseries is pink, but it also comes in white and so called 'red' which is really a darker pink.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    3 years ago
    • My crossvine seems pretty bullet proof. I have been wanting to get my hands on a old man beard clematis. The wild texas one that gets all silvery with seed in the summer.
  • wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    3 years ago

My confederate jasmine in amended clay soil grew with afternoon sun. Maybe not as long as your situation. I think it was more from 3-7. It took a fair amount of watering to get it started then boy did it grow. The roots were in shade .

• Omar Gomez
    3 years ago

My options will stand the sun but they are very invasive: Mustang grape and passifloras. Oh!, Coral honeysuckle is not as aggressive as the ones I mentioned before.

Omar

• ruthz
    3 years ago

If annuals are an option, maybe hyacinth bean vine.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    3 years ago

Banksia rose or most rose vines. I had luck with Cecile Bruiner.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    3 years ago

If you are in 8B or 9a and warmer Blue sky vine or Thumbergia grandiflora. It grows HUGE. Lavender bower vine is gorgeous..

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    3 years ago

bobstrauss I hope you can dig and relocate the star jasmines to a partly shady site. They are a wonderful evergreen plant with a long spring blooming period of very fragrant blossoms.

• bobstrauss
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I actually already have about 20 of the star jasmines (I have mental problems I know), but the others get a lot of afternoon shade and are all doing well. I don’t remember these having any issues last summer, but perhaps they did. Maybe I’ll try to water them like crazy and just see what happens. The coral vine sounds like an interesting option, though, as do all the other recommendations listed. I’ll do some looking into all those suggestions. Thank you all!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    3 years ago

The weird thing about this year, at least in San Antonio, is that it has gone from mild temperatures with some foggy and rainy days to intense heat. That is affecting a lot of plants adversely. The leaves produced during the mild climate days are having a hard time adjusting to the abrupt change, but yes, if you can give them extra water for awhile they may produce some tougher leaves that can withstand the sun. It's worth a try. We wish you well. Keep us posted.

• bobstrauss
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Went to the nurseries in my area and looked at all the options available that you guys had mentioned. Found some purple hyacinth bean vines for a decent price and really liked the foliage, so grabbed a few. Also picked up some white salvia greggii and blue grama grasses. Now I just need a third afternoon-sun-tolerant to join the mix, preferably something low (below 2’) that would contrast well. Maybe a few yuccas of some sort would be suitable?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    3 years ago

there is always lavender or a low rosemary or a salvia farenacia (not the bedding annuals but the perennial texas type.

• sylviatexas1
    3 years ago

Trumpet vine is absolutely care free if you have the room for it.

I have seen trumpet vine blooming profusely at an abandoned gas station surrounded by miles of concrete. In Texas. In August.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    3 years ago

Trumpet vine is nice but it can become a real headache and almost impossible to get rid of if it is happy. Don't plant it anywhere near your house or garage. It will tear your siding apart. Cross vine is better behaved . Also if you have calcarious limestone non existent nitrogen starved soil ; you will have a hard time getting it to bloom consistently. I do not see many out my way in the hills north of Dripping Springs. I have heard horror stories about trumpet vine . It scared me away from it. Complete with roots traveling far afield under the soil and succoring.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    3 years ago

Mara, what kind of Trumpet vine is better behaved?

• carrie751
    3 years ago

I think she meant to say Cross Vine, and I agree with her on that.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    3 years ago

I meant crossvine. No such thing as a well behaved trumpet vine. My crossvine has succored once in twenty years and It is really polite . I dig its up and give it away. A couple years later it goes again at the same spot. I dig it up again and give it away again.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    3 years ago

what kind of Trumpet vine is better behaved?

The Asian Campsis grandiflora trumpet vine is suppose to be somewhat less badly behaved than the American C. radicans. Descriptions of their hybrids (C. x tagliabuana) also often claim to be a bit less brutish than straight C. radicans. I'd agree based only on a few years with 'Mme Galen', but am still not likely to ever invite any Campsis back onto a small urban lot. The seeds are another big part of the containment effort. We're still seeing new volunteers from the seed bank left nearly a decade ago when vines were last left to flower.

There's a fairly a recent "highly infertile" triploid trumpet vine tagliabuana hybrid called 'Chastity’ :-) which might be nice for rural or large residential sites.... should it ever become available.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    3 years ago

"Chastity" LOL. That's funny. I have heard that about Madame Galen but I am still distrustful.

3 years ago

'Walker's Low' catmint is another hardy low border plant for full sun that is semi-evergreen even in north Texas. Stays below 2 ft, but will want to spread to 3 or 4 ft rather than the 18 inches listed on some tags.

Trailing lantana and its hybrids like 'New Gold' handle full sun and reach about 2 ft, though are deciduous.

Pale-leaf yucca (Y. pallida) and twistleaf (Y. rupicola) are attractive Texas natives that both stay around a couple feet tall except when in flower.

3 years ago

Wantonamara, We had no suckering problems with 'Madame Galen' (MG) for the 3 or 4 years we grew it in Houston. The C. radicans sold to us in Dallas by a declining nursery (remember Wolf's?) mistagged as 'MG' where "radically" more aggressive by their second year. Have since learned from other plants how much suckering can increase with advancing age, so would also be distrustful of MG today for that possibility along with all its seeds. Never was able to find and remove all the pods before they broke open once the vines were well established.

• blakrab Centex
    3 years ago

Maypop, Purple Bindweed, Coral Honeysuckle...and a hard pass on Trumpet Creeper!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    3 years ago

Much fewer seed capsules on the crossvine and I have had NO germination of it in the wild out here in the limit hill country. I have germinated a few of them in pots. They grow slow at the beginning of life so they would be easy to keep pulled

3 years ago

Crossvine is great, though am still wondering exactly how large it could get. Our single vine covers about 20ft of a 7ft high fence from top to bottom on both sides. It would continue well into the surrounding beds and down the neighbor's fence if not trimmed a time or two each year. We've not had any seed volunteers either, but have noticed it can occasionally self-layer if left growing across the ground long enough; not very common, so am guessing it tends to only root where it gets damaged or buried - not much trouble at all. It is my favorite choice here for an evergreen vine (coral honeysuckle is probably my favorite semi-evergreen choice).

• mindshift
    3 years ago

I planted crossvine decades ago against a cedar elm. It grew well, though I had to tack it to the tree until it got into the limbs. It got at least 20 ft up, and bloomed what seemed fairly well. The bottom half was, however, in medium shade. Year's later I saw crossvine planted on low trellis for screening. Full sun really seems to have increased flower production.

• bobstrauss
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Update from the OP: the hyacinth bean vines have been great. Seemed to take the heat and sun without issue, filled out quickly, and are still in bloom (though slowing down quite a bit).

Wondering about a different option going forward in this space: “Major Wheeler” honeysuckle (I think it’s a Monrovia-distributed lonicera sempervirens). Anyone have any experience with that? Seems like it could potentially provide the all-summer blooms, with some year-round foliage as well.

• Tina_Dallas
    3 years ago

I just got a coral vine, primrose jasmine, jap honeysuckle to cover my fence next year

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    3 years ago

Jappanese honey suckle is an invasive. I would change that out for a native one. The japanese honeysuckle can get out of control. Invassive vines are something to be frightened of.

• One Devoted Dame
    3 years ago

I have a Passion Flower (Incense) vine on a trellis that's happy with western sun, backing up to a red brick wall, with weekly watering in alkaline clay soil. :-)

• Deanna Miya
    last year

Lady banks rose