Software
Houzz Logo Print
2sharpei

Questions about use of whites in Kitchen

6 years ago

Should the color selected for white cabinets match the moldings, beams, window and door trim? If the kitchen walls are white as well, should the white for the walls be a bit darker/deeper if it is not the same white as the trim and cabinets?

Comments (7)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    lucky,

    Yes, true.

    Still wondering about the colors of the whites- which colors should match? which ones should not? how many different colors of white should there be LOL? All these will be whites, so I am asking which hues should be same if walls are different, and how walls should differ: cabinets in satin, ceiling in flat, moldings and window trim in semi-glossy or satin, walls in matte.

  • 6 years ago

    I have a few different whites in my kitchen. Alabaster on a small shiplap wall and Alabaster on my trim (semi-gloss). Chantilly on my range (which is glossy enamel). I have no idea what the white is called on my cabinets, but it's got some gray in it and I would say it's a flat or satin, definitely not matte, but hardly any sheen. The whites don't all have to be the same and as a previous poster said, the finishes are different on all.


    Are you working with a KD? Do you have any inspiration photos? A professional painter or paint store should help you determine the finishes for your walls, ceilings and trim.

    2sharpei thanked megs1030
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Is this a situation where nothing has yet been coated and you can make your own decisions? If so, I would use the same white for everything, and the differing textures of the substrates and lighting will add some variation. There are 100s of "whites" in the paint world, and many of them clash with each other. You are taking a risk looking at paint chips or samples that different whites you think might mesh will actually do so once applied and in your lighting. Also be aware that current design trends are moving away from as widespread a use of white, particularly in kitchens, as was seen peaking in trends a number of years ago. You'll see regular posts in the Houzz forums from people who have renovated to a white kitchen and are seeking advice on how to invigorate the space with more warmth. Be sure to add color and/or natural wood tones if possible to add variety to your space.

    2sharpei thanked Aglitter
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    megs, my KD is not involved with aesthetic decisions, just the floorplan and functional choices. I do work with a decorator on a consulting basis, but she has never had to work with rooms that basically do not have anything to work with sitting in the actual rooms. So I am trying to understand things, and to develop a vision/preferences to guide the process, as well as a set of guidelines on how whites should on the various surfaces should relate to each other for interest and depth.

    back2work, Yes, I am reading through all the white kitchen forums on paint issues. I have the island counter slab selected, but not the perimeter slabs (visits are limited due to COVID so it is taking time to set up), the stain for the wood floor (warmth), and two pieces of furniture and a few wall art pieces for the adjoining family room, and the house is empty, windows and door boarded up.... so this could go in a lot of directions :) All the colors so far have some warmth. Yes, I am worried about whites' undertones clashing, esp worrying since the cabinets I am using come with standard colors that are not labelled as colors from the paint manufacturers. I am in a super hot climate in Florida, so I expect to use a overall cooler palate than I ever have before. There are warm shellstone creamy beige floors elsewhere in the house that I will have to coordinate the molding trims with. And the builder has ordered new windows but I have not seen the color of the white trim yet. I was hoping to learn general guidelines here on how to structure the white finishes in relation to each other in the kitchen.

  • 6 years ago

    Maria Killam, a color expert who writes extensively about color combination on her blog, has posted a few topics on mixing whites. You might search her blog for more information, but here is one post that would be a good start for you: https://mariakillam.com/combiningwhites/

    2sharpei thanked Aglitter
  • 6 years ago

    Yes, I agree that the natural light and its changes (it is a sunny North facing K with FR sliding doors opening to the west), and the choice of electrical light will make a huge difference. I have observed that white is a super-reflective color- it even picks up other colors around it.



Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio