Software
Houzz Logo Print
pkang13

Shady Backyard Ideas?

6 years ago

Our new-ish house has a gravel backyard. We were told grass could grow but now that we live here, gardeners say it's really not possible. We have two young kids so this is a bummer. We love the woodsie feel of the area and the yard, and we don't plan to cut down the beautiful trees. There is a slight slope in the back of the yard that must stay that way for drainage. I appreciate any thoughts or ideas on how to make the yard more fun for the kids. We have thought about saving up for artificial turf, but I have read that it is better on very flat areas. I also looked into jelly bean rubber mulch, as it seams safer than other rubber mulches. I am still concerned about it being a fire hazard and the multicolor look. The gardener suggested Saf T Mat playground wood fibers, and I have read these don't last very long. When looking on this site, I saw Ecolawn mentioned. Maybe that would actually grow? The whole space is about 400 square feet, but a portion of that is take up by a patio that's not pictured. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated!




Comments (5)

  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I don't see any slope that would be a problem for artificial turf.

    The scraggly bush doesn't seem very happy ... or interested in 'giving back.'

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks @Yardvaark! Maybe we should just plan for turf in the long run. Do you know if they would try to level it out? I feel like it would unnatural and odd if it were flat, in addition to possibly causing flooding.


    People have told us to remove that bush, so maybe we will eventually. The previous owners hung windchimes everywhere and we haven't moved them.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    If you mean plan for real turf, you'll need to remove the gravel and make sure there is enough light for it to grow. If you mean artificial, it should be no problem. Whatever slope you're talking about is not showing in a picture. Also, grass can grow on slope and can be maintained if the slope is not too much. If too much, it needs to be groundcover instead.

    pkang13 thanked Yardvaark
  • 6 years ago

    Just own experience/opinion - grass will grow poorly under that many trees. For kids, bark fines or relatively fine wood chips, mix in compost or whatever if you like for more of an earthy feel. If you want something to grow there, experiment with different cheap seeds or ground cover plants. I say 'cheap' because with kids running about, a lot of it will get trampled, and will depend on local conditions a lot. I've used white mustard, clover and various other odds and ends including mixes of flowering plants. None of it thrives under trees but provides some colour and variety, some have established themselves. For proper plants/bushes, ask around, go slowly until you can figure out what works; sometimes you might be better off with a container plant with good conditions rather than having it compete with the trees for resources. Somewhat depends on the trees - I have norwegian maples and they're competitive b**tards, their roots don't like to leave much room or nutrients for anything else.

    pkang13 thanked armoured
  • 6 years ago

    Thank you @Yardvaark and @armoured. It seems like maybe artificial turf or wood fibers are the best bet. We realize we will likely have to remove the gravel, which will be a pain! There is a tarp underneath that the kids keep digging up.