Software
Houzz Logo Print
patti_z6a

Clover in lawns

Has anyone had any success with anything to rid lawns of clover? Blooms white.

Comments (6)

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks noted. I buy all my lawn care items when we go to the U.S. I do the U.S. Scotts 4 step program for lawn care. Our Canadian formula of Scotts has drastically changed over the years. It's terrible now. I almost had to replace our lawn before starting the U.S. Scotts program 3 years ago. It looks amazing now, other than for patches of clover. And I also stay on top of watering deeply once a week during droughts, so that's not an issue.


    I will put the Weed B Gon Clover killer on my list for our next trip to the U.S. Might not be until next year the way things are going in the world this year sadly.

  • 6 years ago

    Clover is not particularly invasive and won't usually take over a lawn unless the lawn is really, really weak. If you're careful to feed the lawn appropriately this year with whatever Canadian fertilizer you can get--something with a good amount of nitrogen--on the schedule I gave above, the clover certainly won't take over.

    On the up side, clover also fixes nitrogen, some of which it shares with the lawn. It's not necessarily a bad thing to have in small amounts, and some people actually encourage it. I'm neutral on the subject; I personally prefer a lawn without it, and feed mine appropriately to disallow weeds without spraying, but don't mind it in surrounding lawns and like the bees it attracts.

    Given the currently at-best-semi-controlled infection curve in the US at this time, you're probably smarter staying in Canada...

    Patti (z6a ON Canada) thanked User
  • 6 years ago

    Very interesting about clover. I didn't know that.


    I only have patches of it here and there, but like you, I prefer to not have any.

  • 6 years ago

    It used to be a common ingredient in lawn seed mixes.

    Whether it stays or not is a function of how you view your lawn:-) If you prefer the pristine, turf grass-only approach, then you will want to treat to remove. If the turf grass monoculture is not your bag and you can tolerate what some folks consider to be weeds, then you can reap some benefit both in the form of nutritional input and by attracting pollinators and beneficial insects.

    Patti (z6a ON Canada) thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • 6 years ago

    Why oh why would you want to remove clover?? You're lucky to have it! It used to be the sign of a lush lawn until the seed companies eliminated it because the weed killers couldn't NOT kill it. Rather than fight it, why not order more (Dutch White Clover, available from Outside Pride) and overseed evenly so you get a more uniform look? It will be greener, need no fertilizer, and you can feel better about being a custodian of the earth. And happy mother's day to her!

    Patti (z6a ON Canada) thanked kitasei2