Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffchao1986

Wisteria tree training

I planted this wisteria from seeds last spring. Am trying to train it to grow into a tree. Should I be pruning the leaves on the bottom? The wooden trunk portion is only about a foot tall from the soil. The 5' above the wooden trunk is the green vine portion. I think I've heard planting from seeds can take 1-2 decades to mature and flower, which is too bad.

Also, I found recently that it's actually 2 small trees growing next to each other. Will I need to separate them? I don't mind if they grow together, I just don't want to damage them or prevent each other from growing properly.

Thanks.

Comments (26)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

It is a vine not a tree and IMO will never fill out to be a tree plus the fact they need huge support and take a long time to flower . Trees are best planted apart to allow each to grow to its potential.

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Over time wisteria could spread a long ways...so you need to erect a support system where you want it to climb and spread...due to the potential i cant imagine that having it in a pot will work over time....it is a very messy plant for dropping flowers and leaves and sap every year so i would not plant it close to your house...we planted one about 20 years ago to grow over pergolas and have since had to reinforce our pergolas and prune seriously as they get so heavy...

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Wow I would love to see that!...this is our central plant...obviously i did not master the art of pruning in our case

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Wisteria can certainly be trained into a standard or a tree-form!! You can even purchase them that way already trained. It is not a fast project but is not at all difficult to achieve!

I would leave both stems in place but carefully and gently train the smaller to wrap around the larger. This will give more stability to the trunk as it develops over time.

Just continue to remove all the lower growth to develop a clear trunk to the height you want. Will need some initial support but once the trunk develops sufficient girth, it can be free standing.

Tree-form wisterias don't spread horizontally like the vining forms because they are restricted by pruning to just a basic and limited tree-like canopy. And they are no more messy than any other deciduous vine. Any 'sap' they may drip is not coming from the plant but likely due to an insect infestation creating honeydew.

All wisteria require frequent and hard pruning!! That should not come as a surprise to anyone who has done their research on this plant.

To those who think this can't be done, take a look at this: Wisteria Bonsai Tree

Jeff C (Zone 9b, CA) thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • btydrvn
    3 years ago

Very interesting garden gal...i had no idea about the “sap”...we do get bees...but other insects are not really noticeable ...the “sap”is a fine mist that covers the decks under the plants..

• live_wire_oak
    3 years ago

Daily pruning is required. Never ever let a pot containing it sit on top the soil. And investigate the drain holes frequently, even when sitting on concrete. It will send out suckers out of the drain hole and into the ground and pop up 15’ away. Once it’s escaped like that, anything within 50’ is in peril of being overcome.

• knicetime
    3 years ago

btydrvn, that is a beautiful backyard oasis!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Daily pruning is NOT required!! Frequent pruning is :-)

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Thanx ...knicetime...it is an oasis...and especially in these days!

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Garden gal...can you explain the frequent pruning comment...is this in reference the the tree type?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

More so with a tree-form than with the vine but the vine should still be pruned frequently. And the good thing about pruning a wisteria is that the harder you prune it, the better it flowers (once it reaches flowering maturity).

You can check online for various pruning guides (Plantamnesty is one of the best) but a hard prune in late winter or early spring before the vine starts budding up and then consistently through the summer growing season to remove the rapidly growing tendrils. Root pruning will also encourage better flowering and limit any spread of root suckers.

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Thanx...garden gal...looking back i can see all that you say is true...can see we need a huge pruning this fall...feel better knowing it will help rather than hinder flowering next year...

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Oh no ...just realized you said LATE winter....we leaveDec.15th and return April 1st...bad timing for your recommendation...any ideas?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

You can do it a bit earlier if you like. Just make sure the vine is dormant before you do any hard pruning.

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Spring is really better as all the leaves are gone and can see branches better

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Ok just saw that last post..if leaves are gone will try to do in Dec

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Ok is it dormant if leaves are gone?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

If it is properly dormant, there are no leaves :-) Pruning in April will eliminate any flowering.

LOL!! We were both typing at the same time!!

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

I planted my wisteria next to pine tree and let it climb on a pine.

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Celery..how long has it been?...i have seen that up here in other properties....wondering if that will affect the pine over time...we have huge pines around our house and when one looks like it may fall...it is a huge project to cut them down...the wood is not good for much unless you hire a big truck to take it to a mill...and if there is any chance of them falling on the house they HAVE to be removed...

• PRO
    3 years ago

It is a little bit over a year. I have vine jasmine climbing on the top of the same pine. Pine wood is good for FP, combining with oak and giving some flame.

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

That sounds a little scary to me..two vines on a pine?..sounds pretty ...but cant see how that will not damage the pine over time....interesting about the fireplace aspect...but....as we built our home as a summer home we never considered a fire place or wood heating...too much work...🙄

• PRO
    3 years ago

I think they can not bring damage, they just climbing.

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Decided to look that up...it seems that it does do damage as it climbs up and around a tree ...in lots of different ways...may want to check that out....

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Looked up wisteria...didnt look up jasmine..

Sponsored
Threshold Design and Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Design + Build Services in Mecklenburg County, VA