Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
apta_errabelli

Kitchen storage in casual dining

A E
3 years ago

This is our kitchen + dining area + family room/hearth room. We do A LOT of intense home cooking and need more kitchen storage place. Don't have a high budget. Wondering what ideas people have and how to use the wall adjacent to the stove in the dining area for storage....included a possible idea in Gray...Also should I paint the kitchen cabinets? Theyre not my ideal style, but they're pretty in their own way and fit with the home. Ideas for dining table? want to seat 6-8 and versatile. Ideas for curtain colors (was thinking Yellow, white linen sheers)? Any idea how to dry dishes without kitchen looking trashy as hell?

Comments (21)

• wishfulthinkinginmn
    3 years ago

I also would not paint your cabinets even though painted cabinets have been the norm for awhile now. They appear to be of nice quality and eventually the beauty of wood grain will be appreciated again. I have been hearing that design is beginning to pivot back toward wood. I agree about painting the walls a less yellow color but would not go with cold gray tones. I use tones that would better compliment and not fight the golden wood tones. Agree with the website recommendation above. I'm also noticing that the backsplash appears very gray but perhaps there is a warmer tone in it that compliments the cabinets and counters?

I like the tall storage cabinet shown from IKEA but again, would not go with gray tones. Perhaps introduce a color such as deep blue in some tone? Check out the Kylie Interior website for ideas of a warmer paint tone that won't fight the warmth of stained wood. Also, your windows appear lower than in the IKEA photo and may not be appropriate for a window seat. I would also eliminate drapes of any kind and use woven shades such as these https://www.americanblinds.com/p/levolor-natural-shade/505221

or keep your current blinds.

In looking at your kitchen photos, I'm wondering if you need as much open display space on the refrigerator wall or if that section could be replaced with a closed cabinet that may be more versatile for storage. You already have two display cabinets with glass doors. If you want to keep a more visually open look and not a wall of cabinets, perhaps replace the clear glass or wood doors with seeded or ribbed glass to visually hide the cabinet contents.

• Tootsie
    3 years ago

Have mirrored panels sized to replace the glass in glass cabinets. Boom! Extra storage space!

• drblount10
    3 years ago

Hello AE! There is a lot of great potential here! I look forward to seeing how it turns out!
    I see you have listed a lot of different points. After looking at Julie's site, see if you can do an ideabook or bookmark images of kitchens you like with honey oak cabinets.
    My 2 cents:
    No need to paint the cabinets, they are great quality. I would think about painting the walls. Honey oak looks good with whites, greige, and a warm dark grey. I'm leaning toward a warm white or a cool greige for your space.

Dishes--I use the dishwasher as a dish drain when I hand wash dishes. When I'm ready to run it, dishes are loaded. Dirty dishes can go into 1 sink bowl or a basin. Or just stack neatly on a counter.

More storage? I cannot tell from photos where to put a freestanding pantry. I'm in the same boat. Get baskets or bins for above the cabinets for rarely used items. Then designate a certain area as the pantry zone where food is not all over the kitchen.

Keep us posted as you go! More Houzzers may have more ideas.

• A E
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all so much! Great ideas and great links.

I hadn't considered painting the (actually beige) walls. The whole house is painted in that same beige color and I dont know how to paint this room without making it seem out of place. I agree that it would definitely lift/elevate the whole look!

I love the under pennisula cupboard idea. And we are looking into a freestanding pantry as well, probably next to the peninsula?

I am probably going to put some pull out bin hardware into some of the lower cabinets to make them more accessible and maximize space.

I also thought about closing off that middle open space cabinet...we don't have much to display, really. I just wasn't sure who to contact (regular cabinet guy? carpenter?) or how to go about it. What style are these cabinets? Shaker?

• drblount10
    3 years ago

Sorry, I meant the Kylie Interior website that Ms. Ingram mentioned (auto correct). As far as the color, if you paint the kitchen and great room it can look intentional if you tape off a good stopping point. Take your time and look at ideas and paint chips.

• everdebz
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Do you like a more dressy dining? .. what color are current curtains? I don't mind beige walls myself.

• everdebz
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago
  • everdebz
    3 years ago

They lighten up the floor with rug, then add - bench, end chairs, then others.

Will LR have abundant variety, nearby?

Barton Creek West · More Info

• everdebz
    3 years ago

brings industrial flavor to traditional and craftsman styles / mahogany solids with groove details / Industrial turnbuckle accents / includes two 18-inch leaves. Finish: Dry leaf / L 122" x W 42" x H 30"

Vineyard Extension Table, Dry Leaf · More Info

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Maybe this type would complement softer/chalky elements to come, or of backsplash - W 90.5" / D 39.5" / H 30" -

Pirate Concrete and Wood Dining Table With Waxed Atlantic Finish · More Info

• yvonnecmartin
    3 years ago

First try putting film on the glass door cabinets. That will give you several new storage places. You can buy the film at Home Depot or Menards.

Then look at your in-cabinet storage. Could you use some extra shelves in some cabinets? Turntables often store more because one can access what is in the back. Could hooks in an upper cabinet be used for mugs and so free up shelf space? In other words, make sure that you are using every cubic inch of storage space wisely. It goes without saying to be sure to purge duplicates and other items that aren't especially useful.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Worth looking at the other color options -

Nourison Graphic Illusions Gil09 Damask Rug, Ivory, 7'9"x10'10" · More Info

Nourison Graphic Illusions 132 Chocolate Rug Rectangle 7'9"x10'10" · More Info

• A E
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I like a more casual dining. we're into big family meals and kid safe spaces. my style is honestly more MCM/Bohemian but I can do a simple non clunky farmhouse style as it may complement this home better.

• A E
    Original Author
    3 years ago

also, just wanted to say how overwhelmed I am by all the responses! loving this Houzz community.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

My eyes are better today - so your curtains are blue? called bohemian.... your cabinets are fine! this marigold type color is like them...?

Manhattan Burke Area Rug, Blue, 7'9"x11', Tribal · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/hamden-vintage-bohemian-blue-rug-7-9x11-prvw-vr~132997354

• everdebz
    3 years ago

18" leaf --

7pc Rustic Gray Brown Wood Dining Set with Beige Linen Bench and Chairs · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/hudson-weathered-7-piece-dining-set-with-bench-beige-prvw-vr~126037292

• everdebz
    3 years ago

skimpy ... just to post --

Farmhouse 9-Light Wood Beaded Chandelier Candle Empire Chandeliers · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/farmhouse-9-light-wood-beaded-chandelier-candle-empire-chandeliers-prvw-vr~141255290

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Have you anything new ? :)

• A E
    Original Author
    3 years ago

no we actually haven't moved in yet. will in end of June

• drblount10
    3 years ago

Hello AE, any updates?