Software
Houzz Logo Print
cfergus3

Logan Labs Soil Test Recommendation

6 years ago

Hey everyone. I recently moved and I am trying to get my yard back in order. Can someone give me some recommendations on what to put down? The FY#1 sample is Bermuda and the BY#2 sample is Zoysia. I live in the north Atlanta suburbs. Thanks in advance.


Comments (6)

  • 6 years ago

    Wow, this is awesome. Thanks for all the info.


    a couple questions...Apply starter fert at bag rate? Same with the Milo mix, apply at Milo bag rate? I see the 6 tablespoons per 1000 but just curious on the Milo.


    I was considering replacing the bermuda in the front yard with Zoysia. Should I wait? there are multiple reasons I wanted to do this, 1 being the current condition and 2 the flatness of the yard as I would like to reel mow and I can’t because of low and high spots.


    thanks again.

  • 6 years ago

    I'm going to guess that the current condition of the grass throughout the property is "less than stellar" if one is being kind and, if one is not, there would be four-letter words spoken. That's a combination of the soil, which isn't wonderful, and the low level of resources available in it. Fix the latter and the former...actually, will cease to matter, because there's a set of interacting and reinforcing reactions that start to occur. Healthier grass improves its own soil, which creates healthier grass, which makes better soil and that makes healthier grass... It takes some time (on my property, I forced the issue in about three years from a completely collapsed soil to "Excuse me, Sir, do you hire out?" but I was much younger then).

    However, post that first liming and feeding, you're going to see rapid-fire improvement in about sixty days. Grasses there are boron, phosphorus, and calcium-short. That phase will rapidly come to an end, assuming decent rainfall. Your limiting resource becomes magnesium, which isn't that short, and phosphorus, which you're adding a bit of every month this year while the pH moves into a range where plants can actually access it (they currently can't).

    Send photos around July 15th.


    And yes, bag rate on the starter, and bag rate on the Milo, with 1 bag to cover about 2,500 square feet. It's actually more important that 6 tablespoons of 20 Mule Team Borax cover 1,000 square feet, however that works out in the Milorganite. :-)

    The Milo will provide a minor boost of slow nitrogen this summer, which will help a little, and a touch of iron, which will also help. Plus a little extra slow-tap phosphorus, which will move into the soil over the next few months. There's an additional method to my madness, is what I'm saying, and if you should wish to feed with extra Milorganite at any time, or any other organic you stumble over, please feel free to add it to the regimen without asking me or anybody else. It's all great for your sandy soil.

  • 6 years ago

    Search this forum for topics on leveling. Basically you water deeply and fertilize, scalp the grass to nothing, spread sand to fill the low spots, drag a drag to smooth everything out, and don't walk on it until the grass returns. This works very will with bermuda. I'm not so sure it will work that well with zoysia without smothering it under the sand.

  • 6 years ago

    Hey, I just wanted to check back and let you know I’ve been following the program you laid out. I’ve had some some pretty good results so far. Thanks for the help and I’ll continue with the plan.


    here’s the front yard. There are a few weeds that came in but the results are excellent.


    and here is the backyard


    Thanks again. I’ll check back towards the end of August.

  • 6 years ago

    That's....actually stunning. And right now nicer than mine, which is a little drought-blasted!