Software
Houzz Logo Print
beth_jenkins12

How do I brighten up this family room?

6 years ago

Wondering how I can change/add to this room to make it feel more bright. I would like to change the rug, paint the walls and add 1 or 2 chairs to replace the brown leather chair. I do not want to replace the couches or furniture but would be open to painting the furniture. Need help deciding which would make the biggest impact and what colors/patterns I should use.




Comments (7)

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Throw that clock in the garbage or give it awy. You have too much clutter on your walls . IMO Family pics work best in hllways going to bedrooms . You need lighting , floor lamp some table lamps and a much more colorful rug. IMO words on the wall are not my thing at all. Mostly I would say some color and a big decluttering will make a huge difference in the space

    Beth Jenkins thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Would suggest looking at lots of inspiration pictures to help you decide on specific items and how to coordinate. For instance, the ideas below all lend to each other.

    I would look for a cream based rug and use colors in rug to move forward in room and would also paint a light color to compliment, as you mentioned you wanted a lighter space



    Select cushions to compliment


    A light cream chair and ottoman to replace leather chair and add a throw


    Suggest rethinking the console area. I think fewer but larger frames would be nicer (and add a lamp).


    In general, I would remove all of the wall accessories, written signs, and items on window ledges as they are taking over the room. Edit, add slowly and sparingly, ie: one piece of art on wall in dining room, which will be an interesting focal point


    A new longer pendant over dining table would be a great piece to create an updated feel in room. There are lots of options for lighting, just go with something more substantial and interesting


    Beth Jenkins thanked Maureen
  • 6 years ago

    Too much dark wood can make a room seem dark. Maybe you could paint the TV stand and the sideboard. And yes, there is too much "stuff" on the walls. I would also not put the words on the walls, it is a dated look. The windows need some kind of treatment as they look unfinished. Sheer white or cream curtains on each side (don't cover the whole window, as it will get darker). When you paint the furniture, just paint the bases and leave the tops in the stain. Annie's Chalk Paint is what has been recommended here on Houzz, although I have never tried it myself. Supposedly, you don't even have to sand or strip the present finish. Also, the Queen Anne coffee table just doesn't seem to fit with the style of the room, and is maybe a little too large. I would look for an oval with simple legs, in keeping with the rest of the style, which seems to be a modern Craftsman. Consignment stores are a great place to look for classic furniture, and a good place to sell any furniture you want to eliminate from your decor.

    Beth Jenkins thanked Nancy Walton
  • 6 years ago

    I feel like the tan colors and give it a more "dark" feel. I think bringing more cool colors in would help brighten it up. When I look at it, the things that give the more dark feel to it are the walls, couches, floor, and style of wall decor.

    If you want to paint the furniture, maybe you could just do part and leave the tops?

    To brighten up the couches, maybe you could drape white blankets and use light/cool colored pillows?

    Beth Jenkins thanked Jessica P
  • 6 years ago

    Love the blue/cream suggestion from GEWD.

    Beth Jenkins thanked chloebud
  • 6 years ago

    If you just repainted the walls (don't touch the furniture) it would make a huge difference. - go to a white or a light griege, your tan is way too dark with the hardwood floors. Cheapest/lowest risk and easiest

    Beth Jenkins thanked Sarah B