Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sayididittm

Lock that unlocks when door closes

SayIDidIt™
3 years ago

I'm looking for a lock that will unlock if the door is open and then closed. Meaning, I am worried that my kids will lock the lock and then close the door (when no one is in the room). I know these locks exist but am having trouble finding them.

Comments (9)

• greg_2015
    3 years ago

On interior doors? Most (all?) interior door locks have a little hole in the knob that you can push a wire into to unlock the door. Interior locks are just for privacy, not security. So if they happen to accidentally lock the door or if they lock themselves into a room and won't open the door, you can easily unlock it.

• SayIDidIt™
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, interior doors. And yes, most doors have that hole, however I would like to avoid the whole problem if possible.

• cat_ky
    3 years ago

The only way I know to avoid it is to put on new door knobs without any locking mechanism

• SayIDidIt™
    Original Author
    3 years ago

There are definitely locks on the market that do what I'm looking for. I've seen them with my own eyes in different places.

• SayIDidIt™
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I found this online:

Dormitory Lock: Deadlocking latch bolt by levers except when locked by push button in inside lever. Key in outside lever locks or unlocks outside lever and releases button. Closing door releases push button. Inside lever always free.

Source

However, when I click on the link, there are locks that cost $175-$230! I'm looking for a cheap one for $10-$20...

Thanks for your help!

• kathyg_in_mi
    3 years ago

We had a short piece of metal coat hangar that was bent at the top and hung on a nail at the top of the door frame. With 4 kids it came in handy!

• Monica King
    2 years ago

Did you ever find a cheap version of this? I am looking for the exact same thing and came across this old post.

• venmar
    2 years ago

Since someone asked for a cheap version, and I am in Canada so don't know if USA has code requiring privacy lock sets for bedroom doors but would recommend buying simple passage door handles, no privacy function. Recently did a repair in a rental house, child locked door and closed it upon leaving, parents btoke door frame/casing forcing it open.