FIND PROFESSIONALS
v2020

2 Twin beds on wall with one window

V

Hi, we have an 11x11 room and need to put 2 twin beds on wall with a window. I have two beds in mind. If I go with the one I prefer, it has a higher headboard and will cover the edge of the window. What sort of window treatment can I use to help with this? Ceiling is 8 feet.

The other bed option would fall below the window frame, but I’m afraid it may look to kiddish for junior high child and may look too squatty in the room overall, but would be easier for window dilemma.

I‘d love your thoughts on the window treatments for the higher bed. Or your thoughts on both options. Thank you!

This is an old photo of the room From previous owner. Fan is gone, hardwoods going in and wall is painted white. We won’t have any other furniture in the room.

• jck910

Roman shades

V thanked jck910
  • V

Thank you! What do you think about putting molding around the window? Would that help?

I need to design a 4 beds bunk beds, but one need to be full size and 2 for boys and one for girl

It looks like your question was never answered. If you are still looking for bunk beds, take a look at Totally Kids fun furniture & toys. http://www.thebeanbagstore.com/bunkbeds.htm Personal shoppers are available to answer your questions and help you find just what you are looking for. Give them a call at 952-881-2425.

2nd flr (master bed, bath, bedrooms) two different layout - which one?

I like version 2.4. Perhaps I am not fully understanding what you have in mind, but if you are planning to hang clothes all along the back wall of the closet, would you consider having sliding doors so you could get at all parts of the closet equally? I like the window in the back of the closet, which will make it seem less closed-in (depends on how large it would be, though). As for the toilet in the master bedroom bathroom, I am definitely for enclosing it and not just having a partition that separates it from the rest of the bathroom. It can be distracting or embarrassing when you have business there and someone else has to come in and use another part of the room.

design for 2 twin beds room 12x13

Pictures of space or drawing of floor plan with doors windows and closet I'd needed

can two twin beds be attached to one king size headboard?

Yes, in most cases. Or as above, mount the king headboard to the wall, shove the twins up against. More versatility can be had with two straight side twin upholstered headboards, where either separated or butted allow for twin style sleeping or king with a simple change of bedding to suit either.
  • jck910

Instead of inside mount roman shade I would hang it just above the window and make it just a bit wider than the window so then no need to trim the window

• V

That’s a great idea. Thank you!

• Jennifer Svensson

We have your second choice bed in twin (charcoal) and full (white) and FWIW I don’t think it looks too childish. The only thing is that it is a little lower than some other beds, but so are many modern adult platform beds as well.

• V

Thank you, Jennifer. I appreciate your insight. Do you have low ceilings as well? Maybe that would help the room not feel so small...

• acm

There's no way to turn to the beds so that they're parallel to the window wall, with headboards elsewhere? That arrangement feels cozier to me anyway, but perhaps I can't picture the whole room.

V thanked acm
  • Jennifer Svensson

We have fairly high ceilings, but personally, for your room I would want the bed to fit under the window frame if that’s where you need them to be. Again, personal preference.

V thanked Jennifer Svensson
  • SashaDog

I’d vote for the lower bed, or an option with a height in between the two. The higher bed will look overhwhelmingly large if you put two against the wall in such a small room.

I don’t think the shorter bed looks childish if you use age appropriate decor.

Insecond the option of a Roman shade, mounted above the window. We did that so the shade didn’t block so much of our new windows

V thanked SashaDog
  • Jennifer Svensson

Here’s a picture of our 2 twins if it helps.. (room’s not ready yet but you get the idea.)

V thanked Jennifer Svensson
  • Jennifer Svensson

And here is the full. (I know you’re looking for twins) This room has a much lower ceiling. (FYI I’m still waiting on the mattress for this frame, but my daughter was not in a waiting mood and put bedding on the slats... It will show less of the head board once the mattress is in.)

V thanked Jennifer Svensson
    ACT ONE DESIGNS

I love the tall headboards. They're very elegant and sophisticated and will draw the eye up. I think thicker molding on your windows would make the room look richer and more impressive, while mixing opaque panels with shears.

V thanked ACT ONE DESIGNS
  • hollybar

In a smallish room with lowish ceilings, I would not obscure the windows much. Notice how you can see through the spindle beds in Design Interior South great inspo? That matters. Maybe consider a cornered bed set up (PB Teen sells a set-up but there are many versions and tutorials online) or low platforms with upholstered headboards or even one headboard? Are you planning on a table/nightstand between the beds?

V thanked hollybar
  • mjlb

I was also thinking of the 'L' configuration for the beds, as it looks like they could fit that way. Depending on room features, instead of beds meeting in the corner, you could pull them apart with headboards at the 'foot' of the bed, and in the corner gap, have a shared desk or bean bag, etc.

V thanked mjlb
  • katinparadise

What are the heights of the two headboards you're looking at? What is the height to the windowsill?

V thanked katinparadise
  • njmomma

following

• V

Thank you so much for all the feedback! I’m really appreciative...I just stumbled on this design help posting while looking for bathroom vanities and I thought I’d give it a shot. it is amazing the generosity and kindness of strangers helping others out. Sincerely, I appreciate it so much.

• V

I’m open to reconfiguring the room, but I’m not sure how I’d like the look of the l-shape. There is an identical window on the wall to the right, so I could maybe center the beds underneath each window.

I was able to tape off the taller headboard and marked the footboard, too. I think Design Interior South makes a really good point about the footboard. I may look for a new bed like one in the photo she shared. maybe a Jenny Lind style is the way to go, so you can still see the window.

also, I think framing the window is really necessary. I knew something was bugging me about those windows...thanks for pointing that out.

i like the shared headboard idea, but I think it would be too low under the window.

jennifer, I like your two twins. Thank for sharing the photo. I’m just not sure how it would look under the window...but maybe in the l-shaped configuration...

• everdebz

Do you need cellular or other shades for light control - inside mounted for first layer, maybe blackout? then a lighter layer over.

V thanked everdebz
  • Susan

Design Interior South’s inspiration photo is the perfect way to furnish your room...key are the Roman shade for privacy/light flooding, the Jenny Lind beds so they don’t block the window/light, and the predominant light color to reflect the light and keep the overall feel of the room light and open. Look no further! 😊

V thanked Susan
  • V

Thanks for all the feedback. I agree, Susan, the photo Design Interior South shared looks really perfect.

I’m trying to find a similar bed. I like the curved detail on them legs. Most I find are metal and leas delicate looking. Any idea how to source the bed?

Focal Point Hardware

i love the look of zebra shades. they are neat and shouldn't bother the fact that your beds are blocking part of the window. check into them- they are a stunning great option.

V thanked Focal Point Hardware
  • Susan

Is this for a girl’s room?

• V

Yes, girls.

• V thanked Tatsiana Grebenyk(Baa) " Top and dream Tanya"
  • katinparadise

This site has them in white wood. The footboard is a bit lower.

https://kids-n-cribs.com/jenny-lind-twin-bed-white/

V thanked katinparadise
    Design Interior South

Great find Kat and that price! This foot board wont seem high once a comforter is folded at the foot.

V thanked Design Interior South
  • V

Thanks for finding that, Kat! It does look similar! I like the idea of just a headboard, so I’ll keep looking, but maybe folding the comforter would help soften it.

• V

Daughter just gave it a big thumbs up, Kat!

• katinparadise

You're welcome. I had Jenny Lind cribs for my twins when they were born 30 years ago! I looked for headboards only but was unable to find anything. Perhaps you could get a headboard/footboard combo and just attach a regular metal frame instead of the wood frame and footboard.

• katinparadise

We were posting at the same time! I'm glad she likes it.

Design Interior South

I never recommend headboards if I can help it. The reason is 1. they wobble. 2. You have to use bedskirts with headboards . I think having bed rails is a much cleaner look. I usually get a extra deep sheet that matches the bedding and cover the box spring with it for a clean finished look.

• Gcubed

I think the Jenny Lind beds will look great too. DIS's inspiration photo is spot on for your room.

• Susan

Please show us your “after” photo when you get the room done! We’re all waiting with bated breath!

• calidesign

I would use an interior mounted shade instead of exterior roman shades in a room that small. An exterior mount will require you to keep the headboards several inches further into the room and away from the window so the shade can be lowered without hitting the headboards.

V thanked calidesign
  • V

Update: just ordered the Jenny Lind beds Kat found! Should be here next week! Thanks for all of the help! I appreciate it. Yes, Susan, I’ll be sure to post a photo as things progress. Thanks for your enthusiasm. Floors installed next week and painting/trim around window this week. Still need to figure the window shade and am looking at fabric choices and bedding now.

• katinparadise

I hope you're happy with them! What kind of look are you going for as far as bedding?

• V

Hi! I like to look in the photo from Design Interior South. I love Serena and Lily look, it looks like the bedding and material for the Roman shade could be from there. I can share some photos if I find some. I don’t want it too mature, but something classic. I’m thinking pale blues with another color, but don’t want it too washed out and pastel. I like the soft pink with the navy gingham. But, daughters aren’t crazy about it. They have a paler blue gingham material, that looks sweet.

Design Interior South

A pink more on the coral side would give them more longevity. I am not sure if you mentioned their ages but all girls seem to go through the no pink phase. Adding some navy will also work. The bedding is from PB TEEN. I have used it in a clients home and it is great and the price point is excellent for the S & L look of the chambray blue and tassels without the high PP. I threw in a single floral pillow for interest and then carried the coral to a lamp. You didn't mention what type of flooring you were putting in, or I missed it if you did but an area rug like one of the 3 I added in the design board would work. I would keep the art work simple.

you could add a trim to the roman shade too

https://www.pbteen.com/products/chambray-tassel-duvet-cover-sham/?pkey=cteen-duvet-covers-and-cases

Design Interior South

You could add a trim to the roman shade too

V thanked Design Interior South
  • V

Thanks so much for putting that together Design Interior South! It’s a pretty color combo. I like the blanket at the foot of the bed a lot. Mixing patterns is fun and I’d love to add some natural wood elements, too. You’ve got me thinking...thank you. And btw, I found the original bed...it’s from Pottery Barn!