Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_837966453

Glass wall in bathroom impractical?

HU-837966453
3 years ago

My partner and I have designed an open concept master bedroom-ensuite for our new home. Originally I liked the idea of doing a half drywall, half glass wall for the wall dividing the bedroom and the ensuite (picture below), but I am wondering if this is a poor choice because of the amount of upkeep that would be required? The wall will be between the bed and the tub. We originally decided on glass to let in more light into the bathroom and to open up the space, but do you think it would be wiser to remove the glass and have a 3/4 tall or full drywall wall instead? We live in an apartment right now with mirrors in the shower and they constantly require cleaning. Although, this wall would not be in the shower, I can still see it getting a lot of condensation from the adjacent tub and possibly the shower in the corner. Has anyone done this before and had a positive or negative experience? If not glass, is there another material for the top 1/2 of the dividing wall that you would recommend? I am leaning towards making the wall a 3/4 high wall out of drywall, without any glass, like the picture I have included below. Thank you very much in advance for your suggestions.

Comments (22)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

My biggest concern would be the actual noise from the bathroom which I don’t want to hear . Could you not put glass doors on either side of the bed and a transome type window at the top of the wall. IMO bathrooms usually still need good lighting anyway no matter what. I do not like the angled doorway and for sure not the toilet room

HU-837966453 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • chiflipper
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Give this layout more thought. The weekly cleaning around a freestanding tub is a PITA. The shower appears to be very small in comparison to the total floor area. The width of the toilet room seems narrow. Don't sacrifice function for your desire to have a "statement tub".

HU-837966453 thanked chiflipper
  • acm
    3 years ago

I've never seen what you're describing -- I think a lot of people wouldn't like the lack of privacy for toilette activities. How much glass to use would depend on the goals too -- if you want to be able to enjoy the view from the shower (?), then maybe the half wall, but if you just want light, I like the 3/4 wall or transom glass that Patricia suggests. I really hate back-lighting when I'm doing hair or makeup at the vanity, so I wouldn't want more than that, preferring lights around the room itself.

HU-837966453 thanked acm
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

It is a bad idea.

HU-837966453 thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • HU-837966453
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok! We definitely appreciate learning from the experience of this group. My goal was not really to emphasize the tub, it was to find a way to have the bed face the windows which over look a nice pond, without being too far back. In the process we designed this and liked the pictures online of similar designs without thinking it through far enough. I will definitely give it some more though as you have suggested. Thank you team.

• live_wire_oak
    3 years ago

Truly horrifying.

• just_janni
    3 years ago

If you can rethink the entry - you can make this work. the entry isn't welcoming.

If you want light consider frosted glass (or even a film) to allow the diffuse light and maintain privacy.

HU-837966453 thanked just_janni
  • Sue 430
    3 years ago

Unless you go to bed and get up at the same time and no one gets up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, someone is like to find the glass wall extremely annoying. Hotels seem to be doing this increasingly and though it looks nice, it is extremely annoying, especially if you have a husband who decides to get up at 5 am and shave. You would be surprised how much light will spill into the bedroom even from a very small glass area.

• Jean
    3 years ago

Can you post the plan including the closet?

• Jean
    3 years ago

Here's a rough layout idea...

HU-837966453 thanked Jean
  • HU-837966453
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Jean, thank you very much for taking the time to do that for us. We have seen the error of our ways and will be separating our ensuite. I would include the closet for you but the most recent version is being updated and has some issues we are fixing. Basically it is a rectangle 7.5 wide and 14.5 long beside the ensuite. The only problem we have with putting the bed there is that the view is much nicer facing the window head-on or from the opposite wall. That being said, we are starting to accept that we might not spend that much time looking at the view from our bedroom after all and would just like to use the space efficiently at this point.

• Denita
    3 years ago

I like Jean's last plan. You could move the bathroom door to the angled entry wall in the plan posted just above your last post (from Jean ) and close up the doorway from the bedroom wall area that faces the windows. That will give you enough room to put the bed and two nightstands (I think) and sill face the widows with the view.

HU-837966453 thanked Denita
  • Jean
    3 years ago

You could also make the door into the bathroom area frosted glass, so the light still comes through. In the previous layout you could put a bench by the shower, on the diagonal wall.

Below, I changed the door to be on the diagonal wall like Denita suggested.

As far as bed position goes, do you want to see the view when you come into the room, or the bed? And do you want wall space for a tv/dresser/chair?

HU-837966453 thanked Jean
  • HU-837966453
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to make these suggestions Jean and Denita. Honestly this is very similar to what the builder suggested for us initially, but then I threw my thoughts into the mix. Best to stick to my line of work and leave them to there's is what this has taught me ;)

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

In feng shui, you should be able to see the head of your bed from the room's entrance for the most restful sleep. Although it is tempting to face the view from the bed, consider that you'll be asleep most of the time and the view won't matter. Better to put a few chairs by the windows to enjoy the view in the morning with a cup of coffee and put the bed on the wall that Jean suggested.

HU-837966453 thanked katinparadise
  • WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

I know you have moved on from the open plan but some people love it. My mom's house has an open concept ensuite with a bathtub right in their bedroom really. It has a fabulous view of their very private backyard and is quite dreamy. They also have an alcove where the toilet is and a huge shower. Just down the hall is another private bath if someone wants a bit more privacy. To each their own!

HU-837966453 thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • chiflipper
    3 years ago

90 degree angles allow for the best use of space. While other angles appear to add visual interest they seldom result in good design unless the home is very large.

HU-837966453 thanked chiflipper
  • strategery
    3 years ago

Blechh.

• Louise Smith
    3 years ago

I had a wonderful marriage for 40 years because of a solid bathroom door! Is nothing private any more?

• qam999
    3 years ago

I often have to stay in Asian hotels that have a full wall of glass between bed and bath. Gawd I learned to hate that, both for lack of privacy and lack of light control. They do provide a motorized shade that can be slowly lowered, but light control is always lacking. So the 2 am toilet trips (I'm a big tea drinker) disturb my partner. To me it's horrible.

Light is great, I'd find some other way to achieve it.

• RES, architect
    3 years ago

Very popular in France.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts