Great room help

Mel F

Looking for a new coffee and end table. It needs to be on the larger side. Any ideas? I tried to take pics of all sides of the room. As you can see I have a lot of brown wood going on ( mostly cherry color and some black). Also we plan on painting this room a lighter color soon.

Home Interiors with Ease

Flo we were thinking about the same thing..different sofa to consider...my absolute favorite sofa ....grand sofa Carlisle English arm.

Mel F thanked Home Interiors with Ease
    Best Answer
    Flo Mangan

A couple issues. Single cushion sofas are not great for comfort. They can only be turned over unlike individual cushions that can be turned and positions switched if they are not “T” cushions. Second point, my clients who have purchased integrated recliners in sofas and sectionals are not as happy as with individual recliners. So make sure to test out these choices to make sure what you want. A 90” sofa with a separate recliner (compact but comfortable) would be my recommendation.

great room: help with mixing wood and white cabinetry

Thank you both for your feedback. We are planning on painting the brick around the fireplace or covering it with tile. While my dining table is distressed, I don't want much of a rustic look. Because the space doesn't get a ton of natural light, I would lean towards white over wood to brighten it. Are you both suggesting I do white cabinets and trim for both rooms? Seems like a lot of white. maybe there are other ways to create texture and break up all the painted white wood? Thoughts?

gray paint color for great room-Help please !

Benjamin Moore shale is what I would suggest. (However I am now going to investigate revere pewter, as suggested , also.)

80's great room help..

Try painting the paneling first. If you don't like it then remove it. Will need to clean with TSP (tr- sodium phosphate,) rinse, let dry, sand lightly, tack off sanding dust, prime with 2 coats of KILZ or other primer, and then paint with 2 coats of color. As for he tile floor, I'd replace all of it with the new flooring. You won't be happy if you don't. If you aren't or don't entertain drinkers, either remove the bar or make it into a coffee/juice bar. I'd prefer having the additional floor space myself.

Front door opens into great room... HELP

That outdoor space is gorgeous! Consider getting a couple of console tables and flank the front door so they are perpendicular to the front door. This will create a small entry "aisle" and some space between the entry and seating areas. Not sure if you'd be able to see the TV that way though. Have fun!
    Home Interiors with Ease

Depends on the design we have a sectional with recliners in our media room and they are more comfortable than our separate recliners that we love so couldn’t believe the comfort from the sectional....we love it for movie night! My husband is a big guy and it accommodates him perfectly...of course you need to go try it out see what best fits you and your family...recliner sectionals and sofas have come a long way!

• Mel F

Thanks ladie. Yes that’s what I’m thinking as well, plus i Think we’d get a ton of use out of a longer deeper sofa (and there’s no way we can fit 2 long ones)...) I know my husband would be so Happy with a recliner also. Saw this 98 inch x 44 depth one at pottery barn. Slipcover so easy to clean.

• Mel F

I don’t always trust Pottery Barn‘s quapity so if anyone knows another company that sells large and at least 42 deep sofas let me know. Would love one preferably with a slipcover. I love four seasons sofas but they do not have the right size.

Home Interiors with Ease

I have one long cushion on my family room sofas...I love them..you do get More fabric stretch and wrinkles but it does add to the comfy casual feel and style..it drives some people crazy but doesn’t bother me...

Home Interiors with Ease

you have much more seating and laying ability with large sofas instead of chairs

Flo Mangan

I designed my own custom single cushion sofa. It was ok but Not my fav. Spent a lot doing it and loved my eclectic fabric choices but single cushion not fun. Ends tended to lift up. I had hidden hooks too. But it is a personal choice. We have a 114” sofa/chaise 44” deep. I always lay on it and spread out. Two big cushions. Love it. Got it at Star Furniture. Cozy. Chenille off white fabric. PB sofas are not best quality. Check Article and see if you have furniture semi custom store where you can select and try styles and fabrics. Interior Fabrics here have a nice selection of styles and Upholstry to choose from. Slip covered furniture is ok but I get tired of straightening the fabric. Had them in our second home and they served our purpose there but wouldn’t want for every day. So you will have to do some shopping and testing to get what works best for y’all.

Home Interiors with Ease

That’s to bad your ends lifted up Flo...my have not..it is from A.R.T. furniture it does have under straps with hooks to keep it in place..it could depend on the length of cushion? The cushion measures 82”x30” deep..that does not include the arms or full depth of entire sofa..88”x42

Home Interiors with Ease

Lexington furniture has very high quality furniture it also owns Universal furniture....this is one of my favorite arm styles for lounging..the English arm...it is the Churchill Sofa

and here is a Lexington slipcovered...

Flo Mangan

I love the English rolled arm sofas too. They are getting more popular and will probably be my next sofa!

Home Interiors with Ease

Flo we agree!!🤗 English sofa arms who new! My favorite for sure...will be in my next house for sure! Did a gorgeous one for a client in California way back in my younger years in a windowpane blue gray wool it was fabulous..it would still work today.....classic!

• freedomplace1

I believe your sofa is well placed in its current position, as I am looking at it from Eastern Feng Shui perspective. And I think your furniture arrangement is basically right.

This is a good arrangement for your room.

You are using larger chairs w/ ottomans. So somewhat alters arrangement and look, but this is essentially your current setup,

With this setup, it really all comes down to the chaIr selection... the size/scale, style. That will pretty much determine your design.

• Mel F

Thanks freedownplace1. Yes I do believe with my rooms layout keeping a large sofa where it is now is the way to go. And thanks again Flo and HIWE for helping me figure this out. Now when the stores open I can shop around knowing exactly what I’m looking for. Will keep you all posted!

Flo Mangan

Mel. Do you have a Macy’s near you. This is great deal. It does have “T” cushions but with just two, they are switchable.

• Mel F

Great find! Thanks Flo! It even has 45 inch depth. If it had a roll arm I would jump on it.

Flo Mangan

This arm is very comfy. You will have pillows too.

• Mel F

Yes thanks Flo but really wanted that longer arm and prefer 3 seats. I have my eye on this one at pottery barn. It’s 98 long and 44 deep

Flo Mangan

Watch the length! You keep extending it! Lol.

Home Interiors with Ease

Mel is the wall you are putting the new sofa the same wall you have your sofa on now?

Home Interiors with Ease

It is 14’..... if I remember..so you have plenty of space

Flo Mangan

So here’s the numbers. A 98” sofa is a little over 8’. That wall is 14’. That leaves 6’. You need some walkway from other end of room and this leaves 3’ on each end. You can push it one way or the other if TV needs more room. Now, with 44” depth you start biting into the room. You can see how this would work but pulling out your current sofa to say 46” from wall to front edge of your sofa. It’s always good to get the feel for a change like this and be as sure as you can on a big purchase. Also, walk the path to get that depth and length sofa into your room. Might have to come in through sliders? Would that work? Just some things to consider.

• Mel F

Yes HIWE thats the wall, I think there’s plenty of space. Flo yes I will double check but believe will be fine with the extra width. Right now I have the big chair with ottoman which we’re going to place with a recliner so we’ll even have more room to play with.

Home Interiors with Ease

It will look more cohesive if you buy matching chairs/recliners...

• Mel F

Thinking this paint color, Elmira white. I don’t want yellow and I don’t want gray. We have Elmira white in the hallway already (which you can see from the great room). I’m only really concerned about the sofa color. Heres a pic of my sofa cushion in my hallway painted Elmira white. Could this work?

Agreed. Thinking this chair in the corner by tv. And letting hubby pick out recliner but would love something like this one...

• Mel F

I don’t know why it posted my earlier post about paint color. Ignore that part

• Julie Zygmontowicz

You are going very traditional? Don’t you want to change it up a bit with maybe a few contemporary pieces...I would change out the arms on the sofa so you can add squared off arms on your chair choices.

• Mel F

I love the look of square arms but are they comfortable? We completely lay down on these couches with pillows on the arm if it’s square I just can’t see it being as comfortable...

• Mel F

Thinking maybe a more modern rug?

Flo Mangan

I agree with Julie. Update your style look. As long as the arm is wider, with a nice pillow or two you should be fine. And I also agree, for this room with basically two main pieces get them matching. The swivel chair can bring some added style and fabric/texture. (Julie, you can get up from the floor now! Yes Gads note agreement!).

• Mel F

Ok thanks ladies. Will think about it.

Home Interiors with Ease

Flo you had me laughing!! It’s a great day when we agree!🤗🥰 I just got up off the floor!!

Home Interiors with Ease

Mel you won’t notice any difference on the arms when using pillows..I have to say that is why I love the English arm..Pottery Barn has a gorgeous English arm sofa...it is low so great for lounging and slightly rounded.,it is such a classic design and has really made a very strong statement in design recently..it can be mixed with all design styles...love Square arms too..they bring clean lines to a room and give a fresh look.

Home Interiors with Ease

Mel I love the midnight blue rug...

Flo Mangan

Relook at this style.

Flo Mangan

Opps.

Mel F thanked Flo Mangan
  • freedomplace1

There really are some beautiful, classic rolled armed sofas. Also some more modern takes on the theme,

I think this one has classic lines and a streamlined profile.

https://www.wayfair.com/Rosdorf-Park--Huston-72-Rolled-Arms-Sofa-ROSP2530-L305-K~ROSP2530.html?refid=GX434261942124-ROSP2530&device=m&ptid=904158835125&network=g&targetid=aud-354999624671:pla-904158835125&channel=GooglePLA&ireid=40395396&fdid=1817&PiID%5B%5D=22032327&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyuiy09aP6gIVTZyzCh3AtgNBEAQYByABEgJhHPD_BwE

Below, pic from customer review.

Also comes in navy velvet + orange velvet!

This gorgeous pic is also from a customer review.

Flo Mangan

Of course, I love the English Rolled arm.

Home Interiors with Ease

Flo maybe one day we can both have our English arm sofa!!

• Mel F

Flo, gave the Macy’s sofa a second look. It doesn’t have a chair as part of the collection, only a chair and a half which is 62 inches. Thinking it will be too bulky/awkward...

Flo Mangan

Right no chair &1/2. So which style direction do you want to take traditional, English rolled arm or more modern. We can find grouping once we define style.

• Mel F

Thanks Flo but I think I have some good options. I don’t want to drive you ladies crazy lol. I’m going to check out that sofa at PB when the store opens. I don’t want to say I’m fine with a square arm without trying it out first.

Flo Mangan

Totally agree to try out when you can. Before you buy from PB or other similar read reviews carefully.

Mel F thanked Flo Mangan
  • Mel F

What do you all think of chaise lounges chairs?. I want To check out this sofa at crate and barrel when stores open And part of the collection they have this chaise. Hubby has said he would do a chaise as well as a recliner. The large chair I have now with ottoman is 45 inches wide, this chaise would be 50 wide... could this work?

• Monica Rivas

I think a great, unique coffee table would add a lot of life and story to your living room.

Loving my new table from https://www.jamesadesigns.com

Take a look!

Home Interiors with Ease

Recliner....no question...no chaise just not as versatile as a recliner and no visitors would feel comfortable sitting on a chaise....getting off and on is not the best either..it’s nice at least with a chair you move the ottoman forward to sit down....I will work as hard as I can to talk you out of a chaise!!!😬

Flo Mangan

Totally agree. No chaise. For all reasons Julie stated.

• Gcubed

If you are looking for a recliner to test out/complement the CB sofa, they have a nice recliner/swivel chair. It has clean lines and square arms. I have it in the indigo velvet and we all love it.

Home Interiors with Ease

Look at the PB Tyler recliner

Mel F thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • Mel F

Ok no to the chaise! Recliner it is. Thanks HIWE and Gcubed for the suggestions. As for the sofa it comes in a 93 length, 46 depth or 105 length. can I pull off the 105? My current sofa is 89. That wall is 14 ft. The rug I like is 9x12. Sofa would be on the 12 ft part of the rug but still it might look too big?

Montgomery County's Most Experienced Kitchen & Bath Remodelers